Found one - SxS 16 gauge

The place to post items FOR SALE, WANTED TO BUY, WANTED TO TRADE, or AUCTION ALERTS.

Moderators: Hobie, rjohns94

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Found one - SxS 16 gauge

#1 Post by vancelw » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:54 pm

I'm looking for a good, solid side by side 16 gauge shotgun. No exposed hammers.
Something along the lines of a Simson, J.P. Sauer, CZ P-47.

Price I'm willing to give will depend entirely on condition and what it is. I'm not looking for a collectible to languish in the safe. I prefer 2 3/4" chambers but will consider shorter ones if the price is right. I might even be interested in a drilling or Cape gun. I'm not interested in an O/U.
Please PM if you have one.

EDIT: I finally found what I was looking for. I hope.
Last edited by vancelw on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: WTB in TX - SxS 16 gauge

#2 Post by Bill in Oregon » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:03 am

Vance, I have dealt with this outfit with great satisfaction.

https://www.757arms.com/c-2-shotguns.aspx

338reddog
Levergunner

#3 Post by 338reddog » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:20 pm

I have a local shop that has a LC Smith. It has been recolor cased and I believe barrels rust blued. Nice looking gun $750 as I remember. He also has a Citori O/U lightning.
I also have a Browning white lightning 16ga
https://thebarnwoodarms.com/ I didnt look to see if they had pictures of it. But both were there yesterday
Jeff

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

#4 Post by geobru » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:44 am

Last week there were 6 or 7 foreign made 16 ga sxs in the Cabela's used gun rack in Lacey, WA for $350. The furniture was skinned up a bit, but the metal was in decent shape, and they came up to my shoulder nicely. There was one that had a deluxe stock but the recoil pad needed to be fitted to the stock. I don't recall what the brand was. I wasn't looking for a sxs!

I went by to see what they are today. They are all Zastava M75 16 ga SxS. Condition was varied. Some had good metal and decent wood. Some were pretty tough.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Found one - SxS 16 gauge

#5 Post by vancelw » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:01 pm

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I found a Simson shotgun in Tulsa last year that I REALLY liked, but I didn't know any thing about it. So I reluctantly walked away, thinking I might return to the table later.
Instead I found a 1937 Winchester model 71 that had a bolt peep on it that I wanted to put on my deluxe. So I had no shotgun money.

For over a year I have been searching for a similar value.
Scouring Simpson LTD, Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, Guns International, Champlins, J.J. Perdeau, Cabela's Gun Library....et. al.
Everytime I found one, it was gone by the time I called.... :(

I finally figured out that Simson, Simson Shl, JP Sauer, Merkel 8, and Fortuna Werke were all practically the same shotgun.

Mine is coming from Albuquerque in a week or so.

Now I need to find some 16 Gauge brass shells. I have hundreds of factory 16 gauge to burn. Future thread to come...
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

#6 Post by Bill in Oregon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:31 am

Vance, eager to see your new double. Graf's has Magtech 16 gauge brass shells in stock at $22.69 for 25. I have used these with satisfaction, coupled with wads from Circle Fly. They have a great tutorial on loading the Magtech shells.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#7 Post by GunnyMack » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:34 pm

Ballistic Products has EVERTHING you could need! Lots of load data from target loads to slugs. Components out the wazoo as well as magtech brass.
www.ballisticproducts.com

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

#8 Post by vancelw » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:53 pm

I've got their book.
I have all the brass hulls and wads/cards to load BP for an old 12 gauge double hammer gun. Just can't find the time.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

#9 Post by vancelw » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:34 pm