Browning 1895 question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Browning 1895 question

Post by dkmlever »

Shot my 30-06 Browning 1895 yesterday, fun. Does any one know if you (or a good gunsmith) can lighten/improve the trigger pull? Boy it was hard.

Also what is the trick to loading more than one round, how do you position the next round to push it into the magazine? Thanks.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That's a 7.62x54R Russian round IIRC. I load that way with my .30-40 (aka .30 US). However, you've got a .30-06 which is rimless...

Oh, and this might help visualize...
Last edited by Hobie on Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I looked at a used Browning recently that had very nice trigger job down to about 3 pounds and crisp, so apparently it can be done. The action was smoothed up a bit too. Very nice.

If it's like the originals, you have to push the cartridge into the magazine vertically (upright) through the lip opening toward the rear, then rotate the cartridge down as you ease the base toward the rear. I don't know if I explained it well enough, but it's easy once you realize how it works.

Good luck.
Chad
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Can't help on the trigger job other than to say lube the trigger well, and keep shooting it'll likely lighten up.

To load the magazine hold the cartridge at about a 20 degree angle and push the rim down on the follower or preceding cartridge , just ahead of the retaining lips in the rear of the magazine. then as the top edge of the cartridge clears the lips slide it rearward. It takes longer to type this than it does to do it. :)
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have no problems with my old '95 .30-06. I simply load the cartridges as I would any box magazine, flat and one at a time. Just lay 'em in the slot and push 'em down. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Winchester Owners Manuals for both my Miroku .405 & .30-06 shows the loading procedre exactly as Hobie has pictured - except the Miroku guns don't have the clip guide arms, of course.