Help identifying rear sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Help identifying rear sight

Post by meanc »

Anyone got an idea as to who made this and it's age and what it was rifle it was made for.

The reversible diamond insert has a "V" notch and a "U" notch on it.
I'm pretty sure the "R" is the first intial of the mfg. but can't think of anything other than Redfield or Remington.

Thanks

Image[/img]
big medicine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by big medicine »

It looks like a Redfield sight, probably made by Marbles..just a guess. Should work on about any rifle.
IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KIA 23 APR 2007, AGE 19,MUQUDADIYAH,IRAQ
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That's an old Redfield and Western rear sight. Not made by Marbles, but by Redfield. They were made for numerous guns. The semi-buckhorn was the model 41, and the full buckhorn was the model 42. The catalogs used a code letter after the number to designate the gun maker, such as 42-R for Remington. They came in either 2.25" or 3.25" lengths in both styles.
Hope this helps.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Thanks for the knowledge gents.
big medicine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by big medicine »

Yea thanks Val. I learned something. I had always thought that Marbles made them for Redfield.
IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KIA 23 APR 2007, AGE 19,MUQUDADIYAH,IRAQ
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I wish I knew which of the two came first! Marbles and Redfield both sold them at the same time, but not sure which of the two came up with the design first. If I was to guess, I'd say Marbles, but not sure as my old flyers aren't dated.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Well, it came off of my 1957 Marlin 39a that I picked up a week ago, I ordered the original style sight from Numrichs already.

Now, I'm wondering about what kind of age this thing has on it and if any kind of value.

I'm thinking about putting it on Ebay to kind of offset some of the cost of the 39a and the new rear sight.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Vall,
I also believe that Marbles was the first (1892). They were in existance before Redfield (1909). Marbles was making similarily designed rear sights prior to the turn of the 20th century. The double rail elevator though is the only part that threw me off; I don't know when it was introduced, nor that Redfield also made them.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!