Scope mounts for a Marlin 1894 Cowboy???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Manny

Scope mounts for a Marlin 1894 Cowboy???

Post by Manny »

First off, to those who say WHY??? It's because I can't see the darn irons worth a hoot, even the battle peeps on my AR, and shooting when you struggle to see the target is frustrating and no fun. When I use a scope, I see just fine, shoot good, and have fun. So I'm going to mount a low power scope on my 1894 Cowboy and am wondering which mounts/rings someone might recommend??
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I think the Talley rings for Weaver bases are the best looking and prefer a low power scope like the1 1/2 X 4 x32MM Leupold if one wants a scope on a lever. :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think a 2.5 Leupold might be about right - Weaver makes one too I believe. I am with you on your reasoning.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Manny,

Please don't take offense at those of us that tease others about scopes. We don't mean any harm. We're just funning.
Most of us are painfully aware that as time passes we just don't see things as well as we used to, and some of us never did see too well.

Some years back I purchased an 1894CS that had a one piece scope base on it. It was a Weaver. I sold it of course, but it would have worked very well for a low power carrying handle tube thingy :evil: :wink:

Joe
MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

I've been having good luck with Leupold one piece base mount and then either Leupold quick release rings or warne rings. Scopes: After spending several hundreds of dollars on scopes (Leupold, Burris, etc) I have found the best optics for the dollar was the Nikon 2x7 Shotgun scope for $129.00 at either Sportmans warehouse or Cabela's.
Manny

Post by Manny »

J Miller wrote:Manny,

Please don't take offense at those of us that tease others about scopes. We don't mean any harm. We're just funning.
Most of us are painfully aware that as time passes we just don't see things as well as we used to, and some of us never did see too well.

Joe
I was never great with irons, having fairly poor vision, but using a good set of peeps didn't use to be THAT hard. Then I found I needed reading glasses because I couldn't see anything close anymore and ended up with progressive lensess, which actually work pretty good, but any abilities I had with irons seems to have gone right out the window. Went out last weekend to try to set the sights on a National Match AR for a battle zero and gave up, could't shoot a group to save my life. Thankfully my AR is an A4 model with a removable carry handle, that rifle will be getting a scope as well and I'll learn about the new "f" class so I can keep shooting there.
Didn't mean to come across as crochety, but I had a couple of medical problems this year and am working on getting back to "normal". Seeing how poor my shooting got, mostly 'cause I couldn't see well, turned what is usually a fun and relaxing experiance into a very frustrating one. Thankfully my brother had his scoped T/C .45/70 along that day, a couple shots with that and I knew my shooting ability was still there, just not my seeing ability. It turned total frustration into a lesson on needing to make adjustments.
Thanks for the info guys,
Manny
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Manny,
I have a Cowboy II that I scoped when doing some load testing. No problem. I used a Weaver mount with B-Square rings. For glass I used an old Leupold 2-7 Variable I had around. I worked fine for me. I gotta tell you that I really do like the extra minutes the scope adds to my hunting time. About 20 minutes in the morning and another 20 around sundown. that first 20 is about the best time of the day for me. The scope also seem to penetrate the shadows better.
Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If I had a Cowboy gun, I don't believe I'd be putting any conventional scope on it - I'd mount a Malcolm short-tube.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,6637.htm