Antique or old J.C. Higgins cleaning kit.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Antique or old J.C. Higgins cleaning kit.

Post by J Miller »

My wife and I took a trip this morning to Havana to check out a flea market that sets up there. We found it and looked around. I found a couple things I could use then found this old J.C. Higgins .22 CAL cleaning kit. In a metal tin no less.
The tin is in very good condition, no dents or dings, with only minor surface wear.
The cleaning rod looks to be unused. It's missing the two tips and the cleaning patches, but once I figure out whether they should be aluminum or plastic I think I can replace them.
I'm thinking the patches should be in some sort of small box as well, but I don't know for sure.

It's sometimes interesting how you can find shooting things in the strangest places.

Does anybody have any idea of how old this is?

Joe
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Neat find Joe.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd say around mid 50's or so as to the age. If you put a plastic tip in it it sure won't hurt anything.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mid 50s huh. Neat, they are my vintage.

I checked all my aluminum, steel, and plastic tips. Not one would thread into the old rod. Same size, but a different thread pitch.

Joe
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think a military rod uses a different pitch IIRC. You might also find some place that carries DEWEY Rods. They come with different pitches and sizes.
One rod I have has a 2" long piece that screws into the end of the rod that changes from the rod threads to the threads of the tools. I guess that part is missing from your kit.
It's still a nice rod and box.
Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rusty,

I've got one of those military style cleaning rods too. It's made by KleenBore. Plus some old Hoppes, and who knows what cleaning equipment.
I tried all the different thread pitches and nothing would fit. Not even the short section from the military style rod.

I "think" I may have an old Outers kit buried and if I remember right they used a different thread pitch. I'll have to dig to see if my memory is right.

Otherwise I'll take the rod to a hardware store and see if I can't find out just what thread pitch it is. Then go from there.

Joe