30-30 bullets for silhouette

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

30-30 bullets for silhouette

Post by El Chivo »

I'm considering my 30-30 for use as a silhouette rifle. It already has the tang sight and the 24" barrel which I like for the longer sight radius.

Problem is my local reloading store has very limited bullet choices in 30-30. Besides the premium hunting bullets, all they have is a 150 grain copper plated lead bullet. I'm worried that's going to be too light. The store owner said that you NEED a 150 for silhouette because the 170 will be too slow. Sounds like BS to me. Anyway, since it's not a true jacketed bullet, I'm a little afraid I won't be able to drive it fast enough to knock down the 200 meter rams. I'm not sure if copper plating is any good at all.

Midway has a 170 grain lead alloy bullet from Oregon Trail, which they say can go pretty fast. I'm w-a-guessing a 170 will have to go about 1500 fps and a 150 about 1700 do do the job.

Either of these bullets are priced ok, about 9 cents each for the copper plated and 7 cents (not including shipping) for the Oregon Trail. Because I'll be shooting lots of these, I'd like to stay away from the 15 cent and 20 cent bullets for this purpose.

Any favorite lead 30-30 bullets out there? I really don't want to get into casting. Although I have a friend who casts, I could probably go to his house on casting day and wear special boots.

Thank you for your advice.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

Sobenk,

Ijust asked a similar question a few days ago, here is the link

http://www.sixshootercommunity.com/leve ... highlight=

I will be ordering some of the lyman 173's from wayne shortly, his prices seem pretty good too. I hope this helps.

Steve
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

A 150gr can drop the Ram, but shot placement is important....high or in the butt. The 170gr will usually not have a problem. I have seen several of my rounds "splat" the rams and not drop them when they have hit in the lower belly area. Heavier is always better. I use a Speer 170 on top of 30gr of 748. The only problem is with the shooter, not the rifle or load. :oops:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I used to shoot a T/C Contender super 14 in .30-30 when we had a handgun silhouette range here. my load was a speer 150 grain flat base over 28 grains of 3031. It would topple the rams but wouldn't slam them down. I would think that with an extra 10" of barrel the 150's would do fine. I never changed sight setting on mine like some did. I adjusted my hold instead. On the rams I held right on the top of the back over the front shoulder with just the slightest bit of ram showing.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.