OT: One rifle & One pistol for all around use.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

OT: One rifle & One pistol for all around use.

Post by Blackhawk »

I know this is somehting that can be beat to death, but we haven't done this in a while and I was reading over military firearms yesterday while at home with my son who is sick. This topic popped up in my mind. What would I choose as my one rifle and pistol that I could use for all around survival, defence, hunting, etc. This topic really hits home with me as I'm thinking of switching over to one main rifle and one main pistol. Not that I don't love my levers cause I do but I don't really want to drag'em thru the mud and muck, all the time at least, but want something that I can beatup and will stay fairly accurate and functional.

What would your choices be?

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: OT: One rifle & One pistol for all around use.

Post by Doc Hudson »

I suppose where one lives will have something to do with the way we answer, as well as our hunting abilities and range.

I don't handgun hunt, and I don't live in an area with major four-legged predators, so I don't need bear stompers. Around here, the bear are small enough, when found, that a 30-30 would probably be called overkill. That means I'd need something that would not only put meat on the table, but keep uninvited guest from joining us for dinner.

Any of you folks who've known me for a while know that I have great antipathy for semi-automatic pistols and even less appreciation of semi-automatic rifles. Both weapons types have a place, but if I'm limiting myself to one rifle and one pistol, that place is not in my house.

With the above criteria, I suppose it is no surprise that I would choose a .357 Magnum DA revolver, a 4" barreled S&W M-686 to be precise. And since 100 yard effectiveness, moderate recoil, and quick repeat shots are more important in my situation that extreme range and 800 round per minute capability, picking a levergun is no great surprise. Most of you know how much I love the .358 Winchester cartridge and how I've bragged about my BLR's accuracy, but that ain't my pick, if trouble rears its ugly head, I want more than four shots in my magazine.

So, I will opt for a Rossi/Winchester/Browning M0del 92 Saddle Ring Carbine in .357 Magnum. With it, I can easily take deer and would be able to hit man-sized targets with ease at 100 yards or more. It has ten shots immediately available, and if I count my shots, I can top off the magazine without my rifle being unable to fire at any time.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Lower 48: .357/.357
AK: .454/.454
BP only: ROA .45 / .45-70
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

For me, a 30-30 would be the rifle that is suitable for most game and home defense. The pistol would probably be the hard one for me but I think that maybe a 22lr for those times when a 30wcf would be too much.

The answer truly for you is whatever you feel more comfortable with.
Ron Macy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ron Macy »

With those parameters here in NE Indiana I'd go with 357 Magnum revolver and 22LR in a long gun. An extra long gun would be a lever 357 if allowed.

Actually with my wife being a shooter too it opens it up to a collective 2 rifles and 2 handguns.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ruger .44 Alaskan and Marlin 39 .22

This is as versatile as it gets IMO.

The .22 gets short press, but it's a serious
hunting gun, quiet, accurate, and CHEAP
to shoot.

The .44 handgun is a stopper with .44 spcl
for social occasions, and a meat maker that
has few rivals.

Surprised :?:

:) Grizz
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

S&W 629 classic
winchester Model 94 44 mag

close 2nd
S&W 686 357
winchester Model 94 legacy 357 mag

i have both combos
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

One gun: shotgun, 12 gauge, two barrels

One rifle, one pistol: Soon it will be my NKJ custom '92 in .357 with receiver sight and the pistol would the Smith model 60 3 Pro - custom shop 5 shot .357 with tritium front sight and heavy slab side barrel. I live in Pa and can't hunt with a Semi. the .357 would allow me to do deer hunting and self defense. In most states, downloaded rounds for small game (can't use it for small game in PA unless I use shotshells). to stay legal, i would need a shotgun for bird and small game or use my longbow.

On the side I would want my 39TDS and colt .22 pistol and my GSG .22.

also the WWG Co-pilot for hunting the big stuff

and my sharps

and my 30-30 UGLY DUCK

and my .45lc USFA and Freedom Arms Priemer

I could do without the freedom priemer in .22, the 1851's, the colt .38, the sig 220, the springfield M-6 survival rifle and the muzzleloader, rohrbaugh, and bond derringer
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

This is a tough one. I really does depend on where you are.
My favorite rifle - by far - is my Glenfield 30-30 with a short mag tube and no safety.
But I have to admit that when at home, the rifle I depend on most is my single shot 22 Hornet.
It takes out squirrels and coyotes and is more accurate than I can shoot.
My favorite revolver is my single six 22/22M but I guess I should go with the 45LC for 2 legged vermin and snakes.
We don't get many mountian lions any more and the hornet can handle the coyotes.
We get a lot of bobcats but I don't shoot them, at least I don't shoot to hit them. They keep away from the house and barn and pretty much stick to the hills and the back creek where they belong.

Bob A
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

44 Magnum or 45 Colt. It just depends on if you want a single action or a double action revolver. Tom.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I would do .22 in the pistol because it would only be good for short range shots anyway. That's the small game axe. Then get a whiz-bang caliber for shots out to 250-300 yards. For me that would be 30-30.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My top picks would be my Bowen, OM Super Blackhawk and my in progress custom Browning '86. Both can be loaded up or down to meet the occasion.
Though I could never part with my Grandfather's '03 Springfield sporter. Or my other Grandfather's 94 in 38-55 or my Dad's 1911A1 and Model 12, or,or,or....

Would hate to choose but these two sure fit me. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Boy, that's tough. Mini-30? .45ACP? Wing Master with extra barrels? .22LR? If I was limited to only one combination, I would have to say the Rossi 92 & NM Vaquero in .45Colt. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic and am thinking about a lone rider surviving with his .44-40 Winchester & PeaceMaker...
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Jason, that sure is a nice combo.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Doc Hudson wrote:I suppose where one lives will have something to do with the way we answer, as well as our hunting abilities and range.
+1, also, what are we hunting. I live in NoVA. For hunting, either the Trapper in .44 mag or the Pre-64 .30-30 will suffice. Should be able to take any game in N. America with either one. Having said that, though, I love the Browning 1886 and if I ever make it to Alaska or Africa, I will need that one.

For pistol, I love my Ruger in .44, my Mark III in .22lr for practical application, and my Ruger Vaqueros in .38/.357 for CAS. However, if I had to choose one, for where I live and my probable use, it would have to be my CCW Kahr PM9.

But, asking for one rifle and one pistol is like saying you only need one club for golf...just doesn't work. The shotgun fills a different need/purpose than the Marlin 1894C in .357; the 1886 in .45-70 won't do what the Mini-14 does; the combat 9mm doesn't compete with the SAs, nor can the SAs be your goto gun if the stuff hits the fan. So, until I'm forced to give up all of my "clubs", I'll keep my options open.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rjohns94 wrote:Jason, that sure is a nice combo.

Thanks Mike!

Still trying to decide on sights for the '86. Leaning towards a Lyman 66. Was thinking something exotic like a three leaf express sight but once I got it and set on the barrel it just didn't look right with that stubby little barrel.
Found the stocks I want. Just have to get them ordered. It's been a fun project. Just
taking my time so it's right the first time. :D

Big thanks to Warhawk for selling it to me!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

I would pick...no wait ...without a doubt it would be...no wait...fortunately one is not limited to one of each,so I will leap that chasm only when and if it becomes absolutely necessary!!! :shock: P.S. if it did come to that, I would have to add a scattergun to the rifle and handgun picks.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

The handgun choice is easy. It's first duty is self-defense and defense of my loved ones; second duty is hunting on a budget. A 357 Magnum housed in a Ruger GP-100 or Security-Six with a six inch barrel will handle both duties without compromise. Either of these two handguns are portable, can be carried all day, will fit in nightstand drawer, and are easy to shoot.

The rifle choice is a bit more difficult, only because this is a levergun forum. My first choice is a 30/06 Springfield housed in a number of different bolt actions; my favorite being the Weatherby Mark V. The choice of cartridge is beyond dispute; it will kill anything on earth that needs killing. However, since this is a levergun forum, I'll have to choose the Winchester M71 chambered in 348 Winchester. When using 200 grain bullets, it's the ballistic twin of the 30/06, and can be counted on to hit hard clear out to 250 yards. I can't hit anything with iron sights beyond that point anyway, so the range limitation is not a limitation at all.

Doc, your choice and mine are very close. If I owned a 358 Winchester (and there's no real difference between it and the 348 Winchester) my choice would have been a 358 W; but I own a 348 and have a lifetimes supply of ammo and components. And you and I have long agreed that the 357 Magnum is the finest handgun cartridge ever developed and put in the hands of the common man.

Oh, and BTW, my choice is not regional. It would be my choice in the hot southwest, the muggy midwest, the damp south, or cold north. There isn't any place I wouldn't feel adequately armed with this combination (although a 45/70 Govt. would be a bit more warming in the cold country Grizz strolls around in).
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

WOW again I have to actually use my brain :o
IF it was an out and out survival situation and not just a limitation ,then the rifle choice is easy MY M1 Garand
30-06 can handle anything I ever wanted to hunt even limited to the 150/155/165 grain selection that is applicable to the Garand. It would do for a real good defense weapon also. Next to it on the hip would be my Ruger Black Hawk 357 4 5/8 barrel .
IF I could not use the Garand for some reason Then the handgun stays the same but I swtich to the Ruger 77 Carbine ( 18 1/2 barrel) in 358 Win . Easy to carry,probably the most accurate RIfle I have ever owned , can use the same bullets in it from the handgun, will take anything I ever want to shoot and would make a pretty good fighting gun with scout scope on it if needed .
I also would then use my long bow for most of my small game hunting did for years easy to go and do it again .
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Since we are talking everything, a very wide cataory. Rifle, Springfield MIAI Scout/Squad. You can hunt with it and use it for any type of antipersonnel work. Not great indoors, but short enough to do. Handgun, Ruger MKI Target. Hunt anything small with ease, great plinker, and if you want to make really small groups it will do. In a push, you could use it as a house gun, you'd just have to empty the entire magazine into a target to be sure. Then again, empting the mag into a target is fast and easy. If you allow a shotgun, add a Remington 870 12 ga., and you're ready for anything on the North American continent.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ron Macy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ron Macy »

With this question ringing bells I went back and checked Juniors website www.castbullet.com as he has an article on shooting roundballs in a 30-30. He gor 1 1/4" groups from 45 grain round balls for a squirrel load. At 1000 fps it is close to a 22LR.

With a peanut jar full of round balls added to your 30-30 you can have medium power 30 caliber plus a 22 caliber substitute and a 357 revolver.

Works for me.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ummmm.... When I could only have one gun I first tried a .22 rifle and then had a H&R 12 ga. Topper (the PCS gun). When I could add a gun it was a .30-30 lever gun. When I could get a handgun it was a 4" .357 Mag revolver. All the time I was moving around. Now I can't put my head around having only one long-gun and one handgun.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

for a rifle It would be my remington 700 30-06, It has a synthetic stock, iron sights, and a quick detach leupold 3X9. All big game i hunt (Deer, Elk, Pigs, and some times bear) can be well taken with the 06. I can down load it to .32 s&w levels for small stuff. I could also load it to 32-20 levels for a dandy of a turkey gun. For the pistol it would be between the glock 23 and dads old combat comander. I think that the glock is a better gun but I like shooting the .45 more so the nod would probly go to the colt.

If I could ad 1 more gun it would be a remington 870 with two barrels. If I could ad one more it would be a good .22 of any make.
Break on through to the other side!!!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

an ak 47 would be to most reliable, all around, self defense weapon. with 30-30 ballistics, it will take all the worlds game under SURVIVAL situations. a glock 26 in .9mm , once again, reliability, adequete ballistics and availability. if all i had to worry about was hunting, i'd chose my bb94-356wcf.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

How about a .357 or .44 or .45(4) pair, with a cartridge adaptor for the .22LR? I know you'd have to single load the guns, and the only way you'd get more than 1/2" of barrel would be if the long gun were a Marlin or breakopen and you could fairly easily load a barrel insert from the breech. At least that way you COULD use .22LR for 'pot meat' and pests. Of course it would be better to 'break the rules' and have a third gun that was a .22LR - like a MkII pistol or 10/22 or 39a rifle.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm not sure if I could simply choose ONE rifle or handgun.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Kind of ironic that you brought this up. Due to the cost of ammunition lately as well as gas my wife and I are on a budget that just won't budge. But then again who ain't? My solution to this problem for more than a year has been my S&W M10 .38 SPL, Marlin 336A, and my Henry H001. People can look down their noses all they want on my S&W M10 .38 SPL. But she shoots straight as a laser, and is a time tested revolver and cartridge. And on top of all that is very economical to shoot and load for.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

If you want one rifle and one handgun that are proven why not choose the M1 Garand and a 1911 .45?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Lotsa interesting replies here tonight.......

If I had to pick two currently in the safe, I might have
to go with my S&W Model 66 (4", 357 Mag), and my
Marlin 336 in 35 Remington.

I could load 38 Special for target work and plinking, and
the 35 ought to be enough for anything else in Maine.

Some of the other choices folks have made have been
proven - particularly the M1 and the GI 45!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

336A - that's THREE guns!

(Ya can't count worth squat, but your logic is impeccable. :lol: )

I, too, think that the old Model 10 is a terrific design; and the 38
Special is cheap to load. With modern bullets, it's a perfectly good
choice for social work, too. If I didn't have a Model 66, I might
have made the same choice as you did. The 357 just gives me a little
bit more versatility.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Well, I'm partial, but give a listen anyway, OK?......I say .45 Colt......such versatility. You can use those "mouse-fanny burp" lightweight loads for pests; the midrange loads' (850-950) against badguys; & hot loads, such as 300grs @ 1600fps in rifles for dangerous game, I think, fill the bill. What think you others on this subject? I appreciate your comments, jd45
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

If I ABSOLUTLY had to.
My 6.5 Swedish mauser ( scout configuration ) 629 S&W .44 mag.
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

Since it probably won't happen to me again, i'll play :mrgreen:

I've got to (after retyping this 3 times after 2nd thoughts!) go with one of my Marlin Cowboys in .44 magnum. After first thinking of either my 86 in 45-70, then going to my .348, I had to finally go with the .44. Big enough to take any critters around here, 13 rounds for defense. Easy to load subsonic loads for short range shootin', this one has been my onliest meat gettin' gun for at least 8 years for the most part.

For the pistol, I"m going with my .44 mag 4 3/4" Ruger Flattop. I have quite a few loads that are very accurate and powerful in both firearms. This one packs nicely and is superbly accurate!

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

My 3" M65 S&W Ladysmith SS .357 and Pre-64 .30-30. Close second on the former would be my 5.5" New Vaquero .357 - just because Colt look/feel with Ruger capacity and reliability - and latter, Rossi 92 .357. On any given day I could easily swap my decision on the rifles out, depending on the focus/criteria. HD/SD I'd pick the 92 with its added capacity, lower recoil and greater reliability (ultimately over the link design of the 94) and overall cost of operation. OTOH, just can't beat the overall goodness (and added reach and oomph) of the Pre 64 94. In any case, ammo for any of the above choices should be easy to find.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

"....I'd pick the 92 with its added capacity, lower recoil and greater reliability (ultimately over the link design of the 94) ..."

I wasn't aware of any reliabilty issues related to 94's and the link, could you elaborate?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
KT-45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KT-45 »

Getting to this post late in the action, but here's my two-cents:

HK-91 in 7.62 NATO (.308). Mine's a very accurate rifle. And the .308 will kill anything you hit. In a bad times situation ammo will be readily available and box magazines make for fast reloading.

7-1/2" Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. The revolver is Hell-for-strong and can be loaded down to mousepharter levels or loaded up to Oh My God!
"Mister, you ever seen what a Henry rifle can do in the hands of a man who knows how to use it?"
Missouri Mule
Levergunner

Post by Missouri Mule »

I don't normally, but this time I'll play. I would use what I have, a 6" 686 and one of the three '92's that I have. A 16", a 20", or the 24". I have an '06 and agree that it will take anything that needs taking anywhere in the U.S. or anywhere else. I also have a '94 in BB375. But I have carried the 686 for the past 18 years for work and the last 10 years averaged about 1000 rounds a month during the summer in practice. I am in Colorado where we have everything from the jackalope on the eastern plains to the Mule deer, Elk and Black Bear in the mountains. But I would use this combo anywhere in the U.S. The other rifles might be better for specific applications, but I would stick with the .357 for everything. I can shoot them just fine. I have a Lee speed die for both .38 and .357 and a hand press to go with it. (I also have a couple of Dillion 550's). I have a keg of Bullseye and plenty of brass. I also have the bullet moulds and a couple hundred pounds of lead. I know where they shoot and what my range limitations are. I would use this combo anywhere that I happened to be, as I know it and its limits. I just have to get closer and put the hole in the right spot. It's not the best for some things, but it is what I have used the most and it shoots where I am looking. It'll do...
Watch yer TopKnot
Missouri Mule
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

KT45,
Just where is situation ammo going to come from?
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

336A - that's THREE guns!

(Ya can't count worth squat, but your logic is impeccable. )

I, too, think that the old Model 10 is a terrific design; and the 38
Special is cheap to load. With modern bullets, it's a perfectly good
choice for social work, too. If I didn't have a Model 66, I might
have made the same choice as you did. The 357 just gives me a little
bit more versatility.

Stretch thanks for the kind words. I know the OP said only one of each (rifle & Handgun) but ya' just have to have a .22LR :)

Not to long the History channel had an interesting peice about the Invaision of the Aleutian Islands during WWII. The Army was looking for some tough individuals who had lots of sand and knew how to survive on their own. The Army had to look no further than Alaskas' very own bush men. This group of men became a scout platoon for lack of better word, & IIRC were affetionately known as the Sons of Alaska. Anywho the soldiers would go out on their own for days conducting recon missions. All they had was what was on their backs, a M1 Garand, and a.22LR pistol of some kind for keeping the pot full.
Some folks may be asking what does the above have to do with this topic? The point is that all one really needs is a good centerfire rifle, and .22LR handgun. Shoot those soldiers walked all over the wilderness in Alaska and they had no issues. On the contrary they were actually better off than their Regular Army counter parts. As they knew how to deal with the harsh weather and always seemed to have hot food.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Although I have several handguns, I don't have much use for them. I've got three or four handguns that haven't seen the light of day in years. I did have one of my Ruger Mark I pistols out the other day for a short time (to file the front sight for elevation) but it is now back in the gun safe and probably won't be shot for another couple of years if then. I bought a Cobra Enterprises .22LR derringer a couple of weeks ago and when I brought it home, I immediately put it in a plastic soap dish and put it in the bottom of my fishing tackle box along with a box of 50 .22LR bullets and a box of 20 .22LR shot shells which will come in handy when running into certain snkes (slithery and two-legged) while fishing -- especially in remote locations.

I know the question asked for this thread asked "One rifle & One pistol for all around use" but I'm going to say my choice would be:

1. 12ga Shotgun in place of a pistol (short barreled (18"/20" pump) is my preference but any one will do. A pump shotgun with a pistol grip is really handy in tight/dense places.

2. Lever action rifle -- any centerfire caliber will do -- but for me .30-30

Many of you have chosen a pistol, revolver, or rifle in .22LR and any of them would be a good choice. I like the .22LR for long camping/hunting trips because you can pack a heck of a lot more .22LR ammo in a given space than other calibers. A brick or two of .22LR takes up very little room in a pack.
ED
Yer never too old
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Interesting question. As most of us I could probley outfit 15 different people if I had to. Lets say we have to run and not know when if ever I would see home again. The first thing I would look at is what guns I have that I would be most likely to find ammo for over a long period of time, yet be affective. Probley my old winchester 94 30-30 that has a peep sight and a S&W 66-3, 3" .357 That I already have.
If I didnt own them and was starting out new, I would alter that down to just 1 caliber by replaceing the 94 with a browning 92 or puma in .357. It would be hard to not include a 12 gauge pump and a .22 rifle!
Now, what I listed above are NOT even my favorites! I am a fan of .44 special, but if I have to wander around on the fringes of soceity for 3 years or so and barter for ammo, its .357!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Rifle:

Handgun:

The rifle is a Saiga pistol grip conversion that I did. It's chambered in .308 Winchester and I have 20 round magazines for it. It feeds softpoints just fine.

The handgun is a S&W 696 in 44 Special.

I chose the rifle with the following things in mind:
1) ability to defend my family in a worst case scenario
2) ability to take medium to large game
3) durability/ruggedness
4) versatility

This rifle has it all really.

The handgun was chosen thinking of the following:
1) defensive effectiveness of caliber
2) concealability
3) durability
4) versatility

As much as I enjoy my leverguns, they don't hold a candle to the Siaga in terms of rapid fire, sustained fire - the top need for the rifle. It's a good hunting rifle and can accept optics.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

O.S.O.K. -

You mentioned concealability as one of the reasons you picked your revolver. In the situations you described, you don't want concealability -- you WANT whoever to see your gun and know you're armed. They'll pass you by if they know you're armed and look for those who aren't and who are weak.
ED
Yer never too old
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

You may or may not have a point. I mentioned my s&w 66-3 because it is fairly concealable and still potant. Now if real fighting was in mind only, I would defer to my worked over remington rand or possibly my 29-2 5" 44 mag as best for long range, but have the 30-30 for that. I carried on my job for over 35 years (open) and also carried concealed a lot.
I know that several times in civeys, that I "tipped" the scales by my confidence of knowing I could handel the situation without advertiseing I was armed. Also some toughs might "welcome" the challenge, where otherwise they might just respect your queit confidence. Know it worked for me when I was a lot younger and bader! I also favor a 4" model 24-3 .44 special. Here are the guns I have described.

shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

As I read these posts my choices kept changing but I think I would have to pick my 30-30 with a 24 inch barrel and my 45 auto. But if I could add another rifle and pistol it would be my 1886 and my ruger single six and I would be set.
If I were going to be in place for some time I would also add my .375 winchester with 26 inch barrel and my 357 mag.
Nope can't do just one of each to many that would have to be left behind like my shotguns, black powder rifle and pistols and my 22 rf rifles and others. Guess I better become a hermit now and be done it and let you civilized folks come find me.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, this has been beat to death over the years, and I think it is very difficult to choose with such a broad range of issues to deal with. Many combinations would and will work for middle of the road needs, but no one combination will do it all, under the worst of conditions.

Defense alone could be broken down into several areas of concern, all by itself. If we are only talking about home defense, from a break-in, in a peace time siduation, then just about any old leveraction, that is reliable, would work, as would about any revolver or semi-auto pistol, as long as it's at least probably .38 special or bigger.

But if you are talking general concealed carry, for travel or the street, then the better choices get a little narrower.

And if I was trying to defend myself in a riot siduation, I would want an FAL or AR-15, with a high capacity semi=auto pistol and several mags. The right AR-15 could double as a pretty good varmit rifle, and even work for deer in a survival siduation, but under normal hunting conditions, I would rather have a Browning BLR in .308 win, or even a model 94 win. 30/30, and it's not legal to hunt small game where I live with anything other then a shotgun or a .22 rimfire.

Jeff Cooper used to say that most siduations that could be solved by a single person, on his own, could be solved with a good boltaction scout rifle and a 1911 45 auto pistol. In reality, one could probably do about as well with a Browining BLR .308 win and several spare mags, coupled wth a Leupold 2x7 variable scope, and a 4 inch model 29 .44mag.

In a peace time siduation, I could be quite content with an iron sighted model 71, or Winchester 86, 95, 94, 92, etc as long as it was resonalbly accurate, and 100% reliable. And as long as self defense didn't enter into it, for a handgun, I could be pretty happy with a Ruger single six or even happier with a Smith and Wesson model 17-2 in .22 long rifle.

Thank goodness we don't have to make those hard choices, at this time. But there was a time in my life, when all I had was a .22 singleshot and a BB gun and I thought I was pretty well armed, of course at that time I was allowed to also use my dad's singlebarrel 12ga, and his milsurp Swedish Carbine in 6.5x55.

But it wasn't long until I could afford better guns, like Winchester 30/30's and Marlin 45/70's, etc. And for several years my main guns were a Remington 700 in .270, a Smith and Wesson
K-22 and a Remington 1100 shotgun, with those 3 guns I really probably could pretty much do it all, and they did do everthing I asked of them, as long a I did my part.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I am going to jump back in here, and say that for pure sporting purposes, as they are available to me locally, my Browning BLR in .308 Win has gotten the most action, over the last 18 yrs or so, because it just works so well, and I have tried all kinds of guns, and still do, out of boredom, for a new experience, but the BLR with a low powered variable, still gets it done, better in general, then anything else I have ever used.

And as far as handguns are concerned, I would have to say that a 1911 45ACP has usually been my gun of choice for CCW, home defense, etc, although I use many others, too. However, I have several 1911's and for CCW a Lightweight Commander works as well aa anything I ever carried on my person. And my full sized custom series 70 5 inch gun always lays within arms reach of a night for home defense.

So I guess, when it really comes down to it, those have to be my choices, for these times we live in, and where I live, but you can't hunt pheasants over dogs with those, so I still need a fine side by side or Browning A5 for that. And who could do without a .22 either rifle or pistol?
NRA Life Member, Patron
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Marlin 336C - 35 Remington
Ruger Super Blackhawk 4 5/8" - 44 Mag/44 Spec.

bogie
Last edited by Bogie35 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
KT-45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KT-45 »

Lastmohecken wrote: Thank goodness we don't have to make those hard choices, at this time. But there was a time in my life, when all I had was a .22 singleshot and a BB gun and I thought I was pretty well armed, of course at that time I was allowed to also use my dad's singlebarrel 12ga, and his milsurp Swedish Carbine in 6.5x55.
That quote make a lot of sense. There was a time, in my younger days, when all I had was a single shot 20ga and a semi-auto .22 rifle. I managed to feed my family with that pair...danged if I can think of a better pair of guns.

Sometimes simpler is better.
"Mister, you ever seen what a Henry rifle can do in the hands of a man who knows how to use it?"
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I'm with a few others on this one because it seems to make the most sense to me. I want a battle rifle that is also comfortable to carry, and can take game out to 300 with optics. The Scout/Squad or Socom 16 seems like the perfect match, so that's my pick. Honestly, if I saw my Trapper 44 mag (my go to gun) and my Socom 16 sitting on a table, and I had to pick one and get out of Dodge, there's no way the Trapper's going with me.

The handgun was harder. Originally I thought of a 22 auto (I have a Buckmark) for cheap fun and small game. But I saw a lot of compelling arguements for a 357 DA, and I've officially been swayed. I guess I'd better go out and find a 686 or SP101.

So there it is: a stubby M1A and a 357 DA. I wonder what I'll say next time :wink:
Chad