Dixie Gunworks Scope

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Dixie Gunworks Scope

Post by Pop Watts »

Can anyone tell me if the brass scopes that Dixie sell require the barrel to be drilled and tapped? Am concidering fitting one to an 1873 Winchester with Octagon barrel. Do the mount to the side to allow empty cases to clear???
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Pop
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Mmmm... the one I bought 15+ years ago did. Crude adjustments as well... dunno if the mounts are any better than they were back then.

I believe MVA makes mounts that uses the dovetails, but you're talking a whole 'nother animal and price range.
Slow is just slow.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

The one shown in their catalog I have does require two 6/48 holes be drilled in the barrel. It also requires the mounts (included) be cut concave for round barrels, or cutting a flat on the barrel for the mount base. I thought I saw a long tube scope for sale somewhere that utilized the barrel dovetails and didn't require any drilling. I thought it would be a neat addition to an 86 for long range shooting.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Just for thought, check out: http://www.leatherwoodoptics.com/

They have a line of Malcolm scopes that would look pretty period correct on a levergun.
Old Law Dawg
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

one version of the malcolm scope mounts do utilize the front and rear dovetails; for me that would be the way to go.
cable