Pic's of my levergun transportation quadrapeds

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Pic's of my levergun transportation quadrapeds

Post by kimwcook »

Thought I'd throw a couple pictures up of my levergun transporters. Eventually I'll hopefully get to use my two boys hunting deer and elk. I only had the wife take pic's today of my bay, but we also have a black. Both registered quarterhorses. They're three years old. We bought them as yearlings and I'm breaking them now. I had shoulder surgery this year and was three months without my dominant arm. Didn't get to ride them much. Hopefully next year we'll really get somewhere. They're really doing pretty good. Packing my Colt SAA on my right hip, kind of hard to see.

Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited in 45 Colt

Shiloh Sharps #1 in 45-70

Same Shiloh Sharps

Same Marlin Cowboy
Old Law Dawg
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

wish I was there...Nice
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looks great!!! :D
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Quadrapeds look a lot like horses dont they? :wink:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I originally thought of calling them ATV's, but didn't seem right. :lol:
Old Law Dawg
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

wow! beautiful animals, you are a fortunate man! nice country too!
cable
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

:D :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

No delete here, nuts.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Looking good! You going to use that Sharps on your Elk hunts?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

TedH, I've already packed her around one season elk hunting. I didn't bring anything home. I'll either take the Sharps or my Win 86 in 45-90. The Winnie would be easier to pack as she's a bit lighter. I say a bit because both those rifles are big'uns and heavy.

I'm hoping to ride one horse and pack with the other. I'll break them to be interchangeable. They're being broke the same at the same time. They're actually half brothers with the same sire. Give me at least one more year as I, for all intensive purposes, was unable to ride them for three months this summer due to the shoulder surgery.
Old Law Dawg
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

kimwcook -

Have you fired any of those firearms while mounted on yer horse? If so, I'd be curious to know what the horse's reaction was to a gun shot. If you haven't fired a gun from horseback yet, do you intend to do so in order to get the horse used to the noise/shock?

Not being frivilous here -- just curious about your combination of horse and gun and wondering if you could train the horse so as to take a shot at game should the opportunity arise while you are mounted.

Nice horse, nice guns, and nice country.
ED
Yer never too old
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks everyone for your comments.

You can teach a horse to some what tolerate shooting around them just check out SASS's Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association. But my personal opinion shooting from atop a horse is crazy, unless there's no choice, big bear in your face or a cat, and, your rifle's in your hands (or pull a sidearm).

Did you ever see the movie "Jeremiah Johnson"? That'll show you what happens when you lay your rifle across your horse and shoot. I did it once as a kid, won't do it again.

A lot of guys have literally shot their horse out from under them shooting while mounted. The rider/shooter looks across the top of the bbl. through the sights or scope and forgets the bbl. is actually below the line of sight. Brains his horse. Not a good day and possibly one heck of a walk out.
Old Law Dawg
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Looking good. Is that an Ozark saddle? I'd hate to be staring down the hole on the 45/70 :o
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

C.Cash, the saddle is actually an old Sears saddle. I should probably put it up as Sears hasn't sold saddles for many a year. It's a modified association style tree. I have a custom saddle made by Jeff Morrow of Shootingstar Saddlery, Montana Territory. It's made on a Visalia tree with a straight back 4.5" cantle and bucking rolls. It's purty!!! I haven't had the oppurtunity, given my shoulder surgery this year, to use it. Next year look out.
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Like the old days.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I reckon a feller could shoot your own horse between the ears. I never shot over my horse's head,any that I shot from was to the side from the saddle or standing and shooting over the saddle.Seems that shooting over their head would be prettymean thing to do because of the muzzle blast.
You do have some fine gun bearers, enjoy them while you can, wish I could still ride and keep horses.

Jerry
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

Thats a fine looking outfit you have there. Nothing quite like mounting a good horse, sliding a lever gun in the scabbard, strap on your six shooter, and go for a ride. All seems rather natural. You sure can see a far ways out there where you live. The grass sure is a funny color however.
Zack
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

LET'S RIDE!!

I haven't shot from the saddle, but I am working on shooting holding the lead rope.

So far, so good...
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

J Miller wrote:No delete here, nuts.

Joe

There's an "X" in the top right corner, I do believe. That should do the trick.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Looking good 20 cows! I can't wait for these boys to be broke a little further so I can feel half confident about riding them somewhere other than around the home place.

Longfin, the grass is cheat grass and it's doing it's normal thing, it's not a pasture, yet.
Old Law Dawg
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm green with envy. Lovely photos. :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.