Range report: Winchester Model 53 .25-20

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Range report: Winchester Model 53 .25-20

Post by KirkD »

My apologies to those of you who read this on the leverguns board, but for those who just hang out here, I thought I'd post this here as well.

Spent the afternoon at the range Friday. Place was the most crowded I've ever seen what with a total of 5 shooters at our 12 benches. Usually, I'm the only person there, but it was a great spring day and a Friday afternoon to boot, so a few people had decided to sneak out of work early.

My primary objective was to get my Winchester Model 53 levergun (made in 1924) .25-20 shooting accurately. My first shots were pathetic, and I concluded that the particular load I was using must be pretty bad. Since I had 49 round, I figured I would just shoot them all off as practice. After shooting a 25-shot group at 50 yards of 2 and 3/8 ", I noticed that the later shots were clustering a lot tighter than my initial shots. I then tried one 5-shot group at 100 yards and got a group of 2 and 3/4". Not great, but definitely improving. I then spent a number of rounds adjusting the windage on my front sight until it shot bang on at 50 yards. This gun has open iron sights, and all of my groundhog shooting is done standing up offhand, so I figured I'd sight it in to be dead on at 50 yards. My final 5-shot group at 50 yards was a tight 7/8". For open sights, I was pleased and I got an education. The lesson I learned is that the load might be perfectly fine .... it's the shooter. It took me about 30 rounds before I could consitently put them into a 1" circle at 50 yards (resting the forearm on a padded block). I think it was the sight picture and trigger control, which didn't come right away, but after 30 rounds, I began to develop a consistent sight picture and trigger squeeze. Now to load up another 49 rounds ( I ruined one dad-gummed case last week) and start practicing offhand.

By the way, my load was 9.3 grains of IMR 4198 under a 60 grain Hornady JFP fpr 1,200 fps. Below is a photo of this sweet little rifle.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Kirk, you are treating you gun much too nicely. :) Move your load up about 500 FPS and you will see her really shine. If you can get some H4227 try 12.5 grains with you 60 gr Hornady. it will duplicate the old WHV load and give 2200+ fps.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I did load some up to around 1,900 fps, but the sharp 'crack' of the shot made my ears ring when I was hunting groundhogs. (I don't wear ear protectors when hunting.) 1,200 fps was much easier on the ears and still plenty for groundhogs.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Kirk,
Very beautiful rifle. Congrats on getting a load you like. If you're like me, you ain't ever satisfied.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nice rifle. I love that wood.

Just for my curiosity, why did you adjust the front sight rather than the rear sight?

I almost always center the front sight, then adjust the rear.

I've noticed the the need to work my way into my rifles sweet point on many occasions. Once there it seems I can't miss. Sounds to me like you found yours.

Joe
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

J Miller wrote:Just for my curiosity, why did you adjust the front sight rather than the rear sight?

I almost always center the front sight, then adjust the rear.
Joe
Joe, in this case, there were two reasons. First, the front sight looked slightly off center and the direction of adjustment also centered it. Second, I couldn't get that dad-gummed rear sight to budge. I used an oak dowling until its ends were wrecked. Then I used another oak dowling also to no avail. I don't have a brass punch. Then I noticed that the front sight needed to be centered a bit better, which did the job bang on.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Kirk,

Stay away from the brass punch. I used one on my Marlin the other day and the brass punch is so hard it actually dented the sight. Ooooo was I hot for moment.

I ended up using a plastic mallet with a piece of leather over the sight. I can really speak to the sight with that, and the leather will prevent any boo boos.

Joe
QuarterChoke
Levergunner

Post by QuarterChoke »

As J Miller unfortunately found, a brass drift will dent a sight when you attempt to use it as a means of adjusting the sight. You can buy nylon drift punches, but I have never found them to be easy to use. The best solution I have found is a copper punch. That gets the job done and leaves no dents. Copper rod is available from some electrical suppliers.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That copper punch or drift sound like just the ticket. Thanks for the tip.