Recommendations for .357 revolver loads for deer.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Recommendations for .357 revolver loads for deer.

Post by cshold »

As some of you are aware, about this time last year
I purchased a new Colt SAA in .357 mag. :)

I am now at the point where I am confident enough I
plan to take it along into the woods this deer season. :wink:

I am not a reloader so my question is, what factory
Ammo. bullet type/weight do you guys think
would be to my best advantage :?:

Also, what do you guys do about those 4 Colt clicks
In the deer woods :?: (I would think it would sound like
Thunder) :o

Thanks,

Mike :)
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Recommendations for .357 revolver loads for deer.

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Any 180 grain hard cast bullet load - like Buffalo Bore for example.

And what you do is cock the hogleg and then hold it with your thumb between the hammer and frame - then when you want to make a shot, just rotate your hand down and grip up.

Keep the shots close!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I got 1350 fps from American Eagle (Federal) 158 grain SJSP from my 6 1/2" barreled BH. This would kill a deer at reasonable open sight handgun ranges. And the ammo is relatively inexpensive so you can practice a lot.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

Just about any descent 158gr or bigger pill will be fine pushed along at a good pace, say 1300+. I see that Hornady is now making the 158gr XTP in a flat point ,that should make a good deer round.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't use any stout hunting load in ANY COLT SAA or it's replicas.

Ya'll can do as you please, but I think the heaviest I'd put through that thing is maybe a Magtech 158gr and sparingly at that.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

pharmseller wrote:I got 1350 fps from American Eagle (Federal) 158 grain SJSP from my 6 1/2" barreled BH. This would kill a deer at reasonable open sight handgun ranges. And the ammo is relatively inexpensive so you can practice a lot.

Quinn
:D This is the exact round I have been using for practice with great results. :wink:
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cvarcher »

a 357 mag colt SAA or New Frontier can shoot those loads all day long.They are plenty strong.American Eagle is darn good ammo and not too expensive either.158gr at 1200 or more will easily do the trick on deer provided its in the boiler.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

casastahle wrote:
pharmseller wrote:I got 1350 fps from American Eagle (Federal) 158 grain SJSP from my 6 1/2" barreled BH. This would kill a deer at reasonable open sight handgun ranges. And the ammo is relatively inexpensive so you can practice a lot.

Quinn
:D This is the exact round I have been using for practice with great results. :wink:
Ammoman.com had them for $17 per box with free shipping.

NOT ANYMORE!
Prices went up nearly $3 per box. Still free shipping.

Q
Last edited by pharmseller on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

+1 on any factory 158 gr JSP. Forget hollow points, the 158 jacketed soft point is THE bullet to use in the 357 for deer.

That's the same loading I used for deer back in the early 70s when I briefly hung up the Model 94 and used a 6" S&W revolver for deer with excellent results.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .