Need some good book recommendations

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Need some good book recommendations

Post by JRD »

I am in need of some sage advice from my fellow levergunners. I've read through all the books my wife got me last Christmas and it's time to start making my list of books for this Christmas.

I've already read most of the "standard" books for gun folks. Based on a discussion I saw here last year, I read Jim Huntington's Edge of Nowhere, and Shackleton's Endurance. I'm after more of the same sort of books.

I'm looking for either good historical stuff or historical fiction. Lately I've had a particular interest in the colonial era, or at least the flintlock era. Books could be about hunting, adventure, military, sailing ships, Africa, Alaska, settling the west, etc.

Examples of books I've ready in the recent past that I really enjoyed were: "Ask No Quarter" by George Marsh and "Two Years Before the Mast" by Richard Henry Dana.

If anyone has any good book recommendations, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jason
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

"Undaunted Courage" about Lewis & Clark is a must read. An outstanding Christmas book is "A Christmas Memory" by Truman Capote.
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Jason,

I wholeheartedly second Undaunted Courage.

For historical fiction, try James Alexander Thom's Long Knife, based on the life of George Rogers Clark, From Sea to Shining Sea, also based on the Clark family but over much broader perspective, and Follow the River, the story of Mary Draper Ingals' capture by Shawnees and return by foot over 800 miles of rugged terrain back to her home. This story begins and ends just miles from my home, is a fascinating tale, and descriptions of place are accurate.

Winfred Blevins' Stone Song, based on the life of Crazy Horse, and Give Your Heart to the Hawks, sort of a collection of mountain man biographies and sketches, are of a later era, but very good as well.

From around the turn of the last century, anything by Stewart Edward White, Horace Kephart (especially Our Southern Highlanders, if you are interested in Appalachian history), and Theodore Roosevelt are excellent.

This should keep you busy for a while!

Happy reading, Regan
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

You may have read the following, but... among many others, the 1st one and 3rd one listed below are well worth the expense of having in your collection. If you can find the original printings, so much the better.

Six Years with the Texas Rangers, 1875-1881 by James B. Gillett is a good historical read with a fair amount of action and description of the life.

He has a couple of other books, the only one of which I've read is, Fugitives from Justice: The Notebook of Texas Ranger Sergeant. I like the 1st one better.

Another amazing book is Hugh Glass, Mountain Man by Robert mcClung. This is the stuff legends are made of.

For fictional reads, I really recommend Terry C. Johnson's series about Titus Bass and his protege'. These include Carry the Wind, Crack in the Sky, Wind Walker, One-Eyed Dream, Death Rattle, Dance on the Wind, and lastly (I think) Borderlords.

That oughta get ya started. And last a few days! :roll:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Jason,

Alaska + boats + adventure:

Meen Me in Juneau -- Olive Barber

The Maggie Murphy -- John Joseph Ryan

Halibut Schooner -- Lyman Ellsworth

Where the Sea Breaks its Back -- Corey Ford
[Russian exploration of Alaska]

boats + adventure

Sailing Alone Around the World -- Joshua Slocum

The Grey Seas Under -- Farley Mowat

Some of the Alaska ones are hard to find but they are authentic and delightful. Collectibles.

The two others are must reads if you love boats and/or the sea.

Grizz
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

I thought of another: Dangerous River, by R.M. Patterson, an early 1900's exploration of the Nahanni river in Canada's Northwest territories. Vivid descriptions of beautiful country, and some colorful characters to boot.
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

To find obsolete and hard to find books I always start here:

http://www.bookfinder.com/
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Many years ago I read a biography called Lighthorse Harry. Iwas the story of Robert E. Lee's grandfather, Henry Lee, and his Revolutionary War exploits.

Very good read.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Go for the classics! James Fennimore Cooper's, Hawkeye, Last of the Mohicans.
JoeB
Levergunner

Post by JoeB »

One of my all-time favorite historical works is David Hackett Fischer's "Washington's Crossing," the best account of the campaign of 1776, including the battles of Trenton and Princeton. Fischer has done his homework, including the Hessian archives in Germany, with some interesting results -- and his writing is outstanding.

Candace Millard's "River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey," is also outstanding. This extremely well written account of Roosevelt's exploration of a tributary of the Amazon, a journey that almost killed him, is a real page turner.

And then, for a personal plug, there's me, with my forthcoming "Small Arms at Gettysburg" :-)

http://www.westholmepublishing.com/smal ... sburg.html
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Well, this is unlike most of the others but you mentioned adventure and it's an excellent read: Jon Krakouer's "Into Thin Air", the first hand account of the 1996 Mount Everest climbing season that took the lives of 12 people. Another book of his is "Into the Wild", also a really good read.
Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mojo »

Pioneer Days Along The Ocmulgee by Fussell M. Chalker and The Travels of William Bartram by William Bartram provides excellent insight into what the southeast was like in the late 1700's - early 1800's.

+1 on Into Thin Air and Into The Wild! Both are great reads.
If you can see the big picture, you are not focusing on your front sight.
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

I enjoyed anything by Robert Ruark, especially the two Old Man books....The novels are good and the Africa stuff is great!
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Anything by Kenneth Roberts, but especially "Rabble in Arms" (Arnold's invasion of Canada) and "Northwest Passage" (Rogers' Rangers in the French and Indian War). Roberts had more than a pasing interest in firearms; In one of his essays he describes an R-2 Lovell single shot he
used to shoot woodchucks.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I STRONGLY recommend The last river rat by J. Scott Bestul
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

"Forty Four Years a Hunter" by Meshack Browning. ca. 1795 onward hunting with his flintlock in the West VA/PA border region. Written by himself.

"1776" by David McCullough Great stuff and well researched so far(I'm halfway through). Makes me feel as proud as a rooster to be an American!
raven5
Levergunner

Post by raven5 »

African Rifles and Cartridges by John Taylor

Maneaters by Capstick (also, anything by Capstick is good reading)

Dangerous Game Rifles by Terry Wieland

Winchester - An American Legend by R.L. Wilson

Safari Rifles by Boddington

The Man-Eaters of Tsavo by John Patterson (great period read--this guy had b*lls!!)

The Ghosts of Tsavo: Tracking the Mythic Lions of East Africa (can't find the book off hand to tell who wrote it)

You can also go to http://www.realguns.com/ website. There are many articles on various things, many of them books. Some have been very good.

Also pick up many books about the Revolutionary War period. These are great reads and fill you with pride at the same time.

This is a good link to some various stories and pics:

http://www.biggamehunt.net/stories/talltale_index.html
The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
- Samuel Adams, during Massachusetts' U.S. Constitution ratification convention, (1788)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Look for "The Frontiersman" by Alan Eckert,"Crow Killer" about John Johnston, and last but not least "A Land Remembered" by Patrick D. Smith, a story of the early ranching and life in the Florida cow camps. Ask Rusty about it. Not much different than I remember from living in Arcadia, Florida in the 1940's. Elmer Kelton writes good Texas stuff too.

Jerry
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

While not on the "entertainment" category so to speak, P.O. Ackley's "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders" has lent me many an hour of enjoyable reading. There are two volumes btw. and an enormous amount of interesting information in them....matter of fact, they reside on my bedside table for evening reading and perusing.....

Ed
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

"Tough trip through paradise" by Andrew Garcia. True story of a white man trying to stay on the level in the indian coubtry of Montana territory in 1878. Absolutely awesome. Marries a Nez Perce girl, she takes him to the Bighole battlefield a year after the fight. Some 50 or 60 years later in the 1930's he mentions visiting the National park that sprung up there and finding the spear point he hid in the willows there when he was younger...very emotional. I read WAY too much but must say this book became my favorite when I first read it 15 years ago. Still is my favorite today. This is what American stock was made of in the 1800's. Now I head out and see all the castrated males and can only shake my head. Anyway, give it a read.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I just finished "Journal of a Trapper" by Osborne Russell. Great book! It is a reprint of the jornal he kept in the 1830-40s trapping in the Rocky Mountains. I didn't expect it to be as readable as it was, but this guy was not only a successful trapper, but a really good writer.

http://www.amazon.com/Osborne-Russells- ... 0803251661
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

Thanks to all for the recommendations. I think I have enough material here for a good Christmas book list to give my wife.

I probably won't get all the books suggested here at once, but I've printed a copy of all the replies to keep for future lists.

Jason
reddnek
Levergunner

Post by reddnek »

For Fiction most of Wilbur Smith's books have a lot of good african hunting and history
GIT 'R done
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Rebels & Redcoats : Hugh Bicheno.

Drums along the Mohawk : Walter D. Edmonds.

Wagons West : Frank McLynn.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.