Mold on rifles in gun safe.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Mold on rifles in gun safe.

Post by CaptainFinn »

Okay, I hadn’t opened my safe in over a month (got out the .22’s one weekend around end of July when my kids were over, we went out behind the barn to the old pen and set up some spinners, soda cans, etc).

Opened the closet yesterday where my safe sits and a large codura Sig rifle case sitting outside the safe was speckled all over with mold, like a loaf of bread. Weird! Opened the safe and holy cow, four guns with wood stocks (oil finished) were covered in mold. My SMLE was covered the worst, and it had a web sling that was covered as well. Leather wrap on my Rossi carbine’s lever was absolutely furry with mold. On the other side of the cabinet, my 1100 buttstock and forearm (some sort of poly finish) had mold all over the checkered portions of the wood but nowhere else.

I’ve had the safe over 25 years, never had any rust or humidity issues. I took everything out, removed the moldy sling and leather wrap, and wiped all the guns down with mineral spirits l, dried them then followed by CLP. Weirdest thing is the rifle case outside of the safe, and there was even a spattering of mold on the inside of the door. I’m putting a dehumidifier hanger inside the safe. Just such a weird thing to happen, everything looked fine back in July.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mold on rifles in gun safe.

Post by Ray »

Ah ! the Green / White Fuzzies !

Seems to happen for no apparent reason. Not when the air is syrupy muggy like you would expect but when the air seems drier.
The fungus spores grow on/in dust motes, skin dander and spiderweb silk.

A good brushing and daubing with a paint or shaving brush lightly dampened with with straight ballistol is both a preventive and initial cure.
m.A.g.a. !
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I have two canister style dessicant dehumidifiers in my safe. So far they have kept all my firearms clean and dry.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Could have been that the day you were shooting the mold spores were HIGH and airborne and when you put your toys away the spores fell off you and found a nice place to set up shop.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

yup spore loads in the air can be variable . Sounds like something virulent blew in one day and liked your conditions. I found one rossi I had was particularly susceptible to forming a green patina on the stock. It really liked that high grade brazilian rubberwood :)
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I had it happen once, back when I used a simple uninsulated metal cabinet.

Now I use a fire rated safe with desiccant and a heater rod in an area with better ventilation.

Scary sight to see mold on everything. Fortunately nothing was ruined when I cleaned the mold off.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Holsters and belts are my worst problem.

Too bulky to put in a container, and our house it just too humid... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Speaking of green fuzzies on a gun.....

I discovered between an open door and the wall, hidden behind one of those somewhat trapezoid coffin shaped cardboard boxes that guitars are shipped in, this canoe gun.....4 and 3/4 pounds.....24 gauge.
IMG_20220930_191936356~3.jpg
IMG_20220930_191850865~2.jpg
The layers of dust bunnies and spider webbing had turned moldy or mildewy.

Blasts of compressed air then a thorough dusting then a light application of ballistol restored her to normal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !