Greetings from British Columbia...eh

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BudViking
Levergunner

Greetings from British Columbia...eh

Post by BudViking »

Hi all,

Having recently caught the lever rifle bug I found this forum and joined up and wanted to say hi from Canada. I started with a Henry Big Boy side gate in steel in .44 cal. I know its not an historic rifle but I am liking it nonetheless. I do like the solid receiver top, side ejection and the fact that it came tapped for scope mounting. I am really liking that it can also be unloaded without cycling the rounds through the chamber, and you can pull the bolt for cleaning without taking the stock off. The only drawback is that I was really looking for a rifle in 38/357 as I already cast and reload those for my Uberti revolvers, and low recoil 38's seem to be the preferred choice up here if I take up cowboys action SASS.

Then one day en route from work I stopped at Reliable Gun, the oldest gun store in Vancouver that's been around since the 50's and low and behold, they had received some Rossi 92's in 38/357. They'd received six and had sold three in days so I snapped one up on the spot! Its a beautiful stainless model with a 20" barrel and I couldn't be happier. Already had a range day with it and love it to death. Only thing I think I'll change is the sights. My older eyes are not liking the buckhorn sights much and have been eye balling some of the peep sights I've seen online.

Weirdly enough, in my locale its near impossible to find .44 special ammo for the Henry, only 44 magnum, and the recoil was surprisingly spicy in a 20" barrel compared to a revolver. At least in 44 magnum it could take down a deer should we ever get the big west coast quake and supply chains go kaput. In any event, I've read 44 magnum is incredibly versatile for reloading so I can make anything from light blinking rounds up to hunting loads once I invest in some molds and dies.

So greetings from Vancouver all, and here are the new babies.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QKTLvWa2pF8AnMjy8
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Greetings from British Columbia...eh

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the campfire BudViking..... :D and watch your collection of leverguns grow, these guys are all enablers............ :shock:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Welcome, and you've come to the right place for Leverguns Lovers! Growing up reading the old adventure stories of mainly B.C., is what give me my love for levers, and there you are already there! If you ain't careful you'll be buying a new gun cabinet before long :mrgreen:
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Welcome!
That Rossi can be even better with a little bit of fitting. The original 1892s were hand fitted and modern ones overcome the lack of fitting with heavier springs. One of our members is an expert with the Rossis and has consulted with the manufacturers. He has a dvd, spring set and follower that will guide you to finish your rifle like an original. https://stevesgunz.com/
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum! As a long time cowboy action shooter, I believe that you'll love the Rossi even more if you tackle the action job described by Steve in his video. Back in 1987 when I bought my first one, I didn't have that advantage and doing it by trial and error was truly frightful. Luckily, I succeeded and that rifle is still as slick and fun to shoot as any original 1892 I've had the privilege to shoot. And for SASS, the 38/357 is far cheaper to reload.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Hi and Welcome from Wyoming!

You have 2 nice lever guns no doubt, take the Rossi & shoot the heck out of it & it will slick up nice
the 44 mag would keep you well fed with Moose meat no doubt

ollogger
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome aboard from hot & humid South Carolina!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Welcome to Enabler Ranch....

Show us your leverguns; we'll tell you how nice they are, then tell you you need at least a dozen more....

...it makes us look less bad to our spouses, when we can cite all these internet-buddies who must have thousands of leverguns...makes us look tame in comparison. :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

We are happy to have you here. Greetings from Texas!

I met some really great folks in British Columbia.

On my way to Alaska in August of 1999, I was enjoing the beautiful scenery and headed north when my temperature guage started climbing.

I pulled into this small town and up to the front of a radiator shop where, as soon as I set the brake, the lower radiator hose connection broke and spilled my coolant right there.

This gentleman came out wiping his hands on a red rag and pronounced "youre f___ed eh!" I about fell down laughing because there was no better description of my predicamet. Good times.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I have heard more and more good stuff about the Rossi model 92. I may have to take a closer look at them. My only levergun in .357 is a Henry Iron. It's a very well-made firearm; the fit is darn near perfect and the stock is beautiful. I'm old fashioned so I would have preferred a side loader but it is what it is. It shoots my hot cast handloads almost 400 fps faster than my revolvers shoot them. I have a Skinner peep sight on it.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Welcome aboard. I too got to see some of your "state" from the ALCAN. Count me another one in search of a .357 levergun. Been holding out for a Marlin, but I'm not so determined these days.
Happy Shootin
Kenworth71
Levergunner

Post by Kenworth71 »

Hello BudViking, I'm form BC also, just on the opposite side, I'm up in Fort Nelson, I have only been on this forum for a short time, I think its great! what could be better than a group of people that share a love for lever guns :D
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

HEY FROM FLORIDA!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome, I have a couple Rossi 92s. They work fine. 20” .45 Colt and a 16” .357 Trapper. The Trapper is very handy and seems perfect for the caliber.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Welcome , from Idaho :D

Awesome start to your Levergun journey! Whether it be short or long, enjoy the view along the way!

Bestus site on the internet, right cheer !
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !