New Mould Arrived

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

New Mould Arrived

Post by High Desert Hunter »

Casts a beautiful 115 grain tumble lubed bullet in true Ranch Dog form. I will try and get a picture on here later, but this bullet brings to the forefront the only true complaint I have with this particular Marlin, a short to non-existent throat. While this bullet cycles fine with the brass trimmed a bit short the way I have been doing it, the bullet when seated in the crimp groove is jammed into the lands, and makes fully closing the lever a bit tougher than it should be. I believe I will be in search of a gunsmith who can fix this issue by Taylor throating this rifle so I don't have to worry about this issue, and I won't have to worry about pulling a bullet and dumping powder in the action.

Dave
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Re: New Mould Arrived

20220417_120808.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

.312?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

.312 as cast, about .3127 coated.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that's a beauty and looks like it will feed easily. more subtle than truncated. I like the idea of throating the barrel. looking forward to your progress.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

That's perzactly the bullet I usually load in 32/20. It works fine crimped in the crimp groove when shot in the Savage 23 bolt gun I got from jdad a few years ago, but when loaded for the Browning I used to own I had to load it much shorter. The Browning was throated just like your Marlin. Just last week I got the Win 1892 I bought from Tycer and I find that it is throated just like the Browning and your Marlin. Looking at pictures of Lyman's 32/20 bullet (I don't have one of their moulds so have resorted to pictures) they put a dinky little piece of driving band ahead of the crimp groove that would work for the very short throat we find in our lever rifles. So I guess this was standard for the 32/20 cartridge all along and Marlin wasn't doing anything unusual or different.

Your idea of getting a little longer throat cut sounds good. I'll probably just keep loading mine short past the crimp groove and maybe use a powder that compresses a bit to make sure they can't slip deeper into the case if that slippage turns out to be a problem.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

It was my understanding that the black powder loading didn’t really crimp to keep the bullet from setting back because it was sitting on the powder.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Earl, I will do the same until I can get the rifle sorted out. Looking forward to running these through the rifle, hopefully next weekend. I am really loving the renewed levergun love affair. Between my 2 Marlins, and my Granddad's Winchester, I am pretty much living high upon the hog. Granddad's rifle hunted all over Eastern Oregon and Alaska, I was fortunate enough to get 250 Starline 32 Special cases here recently.

Dave
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

That is the Ranch dog bullet I use for my 32-20 and 327 Federal. Mine is gas checked though. Is yours used or did you find someone making his designs.
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Ben,
It is from Arsenal Molds, I did a search for Ranch Dog, and they came up. It is a beast, a brass 4 cavity.

Dave
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Tycer wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:27 pm It was my understanding that the black powder loading didn’t really crimp to keep the bullet from setting back because it was sitting on the powder.
Sure Tycer I'll bet you're right: that's just how it would be loaded with black powder. Those old boys would have only needed to crimp stuff that might be used as revolver cartridges to keep the bullet from jumping forward. Pushing back in a rifle magazine in would not ever become a problem until that smokeless stuff got invented, quite a few years after the 32/20 cartridge first appeared.

And Dave, that bullet has become my main plinker bullet for the 30/30 also. For that I size it on down to about .310 or so. And of course for anything but 32/20 the crimp groove is just fine. I load 10 grains of Green Dot (because I am still using on a 25 lb keg of the stuff I bought 40 years ago) but I'd be using Unique or Universal otherwise. I don't find a record that I ever chronographed that load but it'd be around that 1700 to 1800 fps level.

And in 32/20 a grandkid tested and approved load in the Savage m 23 has been with 3 grains of Red Dot for right at a 1000 fps, no gas check needed. My notes show the bullet shot the same group without the gas check as with the gas check at this low velocity.

That 6-cavity Lee mould I got when Ranch Dog was still selling them just rains those bullets out: a couple hours at the load pot (and then a couple or three more hours with the old Star sizer) fixes me up for a year's worth of shooting. Here's a tub of them ready for use in 30/30, 300 Savage, etc.
RanchDog32-20bullet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Earl that is awesome! Wish I had picked up the 6 gang when RD was still selling them. I went with a plain based mould simply because I pretty much powder coat everything but my Sharps bullets these days. I don't lube any of the pistol bullets, but when shooting in the rifles I tend to lube them as well.

Dave