They found the "Endurance"!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

They found the "Endurance"!

Post by Bill in Oregon »

In followup to Old No. 7's original post. 8)

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60662541
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: They found the "Endurance"!

Post by 2ndovc »

It's in amazing condition. What a different word that was.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Amazing to have finally found it.
NRA Life Member
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

So cool but I never understood the "Do Not Disturb" edicts on these things. To me, far better to remove several artifacts and display them as is done with King Tuts stuff, than let it slowly decay in place. Heck, I think they should raise the thing and preserve it as an example of a 19th Century ship.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

WOW. Thanks for the alert.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

My wife just told me this. Awesome! Have have always been fascinated but the arctic and antarctic expeditions.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Screenshot (13588).png

Screenshot (13589).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Since it's at 10,000 ft. I'd assume even if they could be allowed to remove artifacts, I can't imagine the submarine has the ability to go inside an intact ship to do so without damaging the ship? They may be able to remove some things from the deck, but probably not much else.
I agree that it would be great to raise the entire ship to preserve it in a museum. Not sure what good it's doing the world sitting at 10,000 ft. when only videos can be used to view it?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:17 am Since it's at 10,000 ft. I'd assume even if they could be allowed to remove artifacts, I can't imagine the submarine has the ability to go inside an intact ship to do so without damaging the ship? They may be able to remove some things from the deck, but probably not much else.
I agree that it would be great to raise the entire ship to preserve it in a museum. Not sure what good it's doing the world sitting at 10,000 ft. when only videos can be used to view it?
there are small drones that can go inside the ship and thru it. no bodies inside so the major objection to raising her is gone, but i think she will last a lot longer where she is than she would on the hard deck.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Wooden ships that have subjected to extreme cold and massive pressure rarely survive being moved. For every 33' you go down is another layer of atmospheric pressure. Raising a wreck up through those atmospheres, the pressure is going to change fairly rapidly. That's under perfect surface conditions and in Endurances' location its pretty unlikely. Then when the ship breaks the surface, contact with the air can also cause a catastrophic break down of the wood, fasteners and just about anything that's been that deep, cold and under that heavy pressure.
It has happened quite a bit in the past during similar attempts to raise other wrecks.
Sometimes it better to leave things where you found them.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I think she has earned her rest at the bottom of the Weddell Sea.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:18 pm I think she has earned her rest at the bottom of the Weddell Sea.
Yeah, good plan. with the state of ai and computer generated graphics and videos the data could be arranged into a vr presentation or docudrama, whatever . . .

https://endurance22.bigoceandata.com/ current position of the RV, underway to South Georgia
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Grizz wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:24 pm
Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:18 pm I think she has earned her rest at the bottom of the Weddell Sea.
Yeah, good plan. with the state of ai and computer generated graphics and videos the data could be arranged into a vr presentation or docudrama, whatever . . .

https://endurance22.bigoceandata.com/ current position of the RV, underway to South Georgia
That would not be the same thing. I would want to see actual artifacts, in person, from the ship. If the exhibit was local or if I was traveling through the area that had actual artifacts I certainly would stop and pay to see them. A video of it? No way.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Grizz wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:26 am
marlinman93 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:17 am Since it's at 10,000 ft. I'd assume even if they could be allowed to remove artifacts, I can't imagine the submarine has the ability to go inside an intact ship to do so without damaging the ship? They may be able to remove some things from the deck, but probably not much else.
there are small drones that can go inside the ship and thru it. no bodies inside so the major objection to raising her is gone, but i think she will last a lot longer where she is than she would on the hard deck.
From what little I've seen of submarine small drones, if they'd be able to fit through openings to get inside I'm not sure they can carry much size or weight? Might be able to bring up tiny artifacts, but many items would be out of reach without raising the ship.
The Norwegians have raised old Viking ships found underwater for thousands of years, and been able to stabilize the wood once they were brought to the surface, before air began working on them. I think modern marine archaeology has improved to the point this ship could be saved from ruin once brought to the surface.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I don't have an argument about raising the ship. I think it could be done.

As far as artifacts go, much of the ship's papers were saved, along with a trove of photographs. Enough historical evidence exists that she was able to be located from it.

How many of us have visited museums in Scandinavia to view those items, v.s. looking at digital copies?

If Endurance were raised and preserved I could not afford to visit the ship there any more than I could visit the ship where she is. it's all academic from my POV. :D :lol:
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Grizz wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:10 pm
If Endurance were raised and preserved I could not afford to visit the ship there any more than I could visit the ship where she is. it's all academic from my POV. :D :lol:
POV..? You own a Pirate Oriented Vessel?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

3leggedturtle wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:55 pm
Grizz wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:10 pm
POV..? You own a Pirate Oriented Vessel?
LOL... more or less . . . that's my acronym for Point Of View, illustrated by looking at the Salt River Canyon from both sides of the river . . .
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

So very cool!!! 8) 8) 8)
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Very neat; I hadn't see this since I was traveling this week, but thanks for sharing!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Grizz wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:10 pm I don't have an argument about raising the ship. I think it could be done.

As far as artifacts go, much of the ship's papers were saved, along with a trove of photographs. Enough historical evidence exists that she was able to be located from it.

How many of us have visited museums in Scandinavia to view those items, v.s. looking at digital copies?

I can't go visit a Viking ship raised from the ocean floor either. But if I saw murky stills or video from the bottom of the Atlantic, vs. watching a one hour TV documentary going over how it was raised, and preserved, and closeup videos of it today; I'll take that over the previous option.