Reloading Info for a specific Hornady bullet

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Reloading Info for a specific Hornady bullet

Post by new pig hunter »

I have 500 Hornady bullets I'd like to load-up in .45LC, for plain ol' nothing-fancy pistol plinking fun in my Ruger Blackhawk.

Specifically: Hornady FTX, 45 cal, .452" diameter, 225-grain, plastic Flex tip, Part Number 45218

A pal of mine who helps me with this project found some Hornady info that mandates that the case length be trimmed. They even use the word "critical."

a) I did a minimal amount of internet research and could find no comments/commentary about the criticality of "WHY" the case length requires trimming.

b) I did find a couple of comments which said that the COL is the driver. The FTX bullet is "much longer" because of the plastic tip. So if you seat the bullet at cannelure depth, then it is "simply" too long to fit into a revolver cylinder ...... depending of course upon what revolver one is talking about.

c) I found no comments/commentary that shoving the bullet a little deeper into the case (to get an acceptable COL) would cause an overpressure condition.

MY PLANS: I plan to use a light load, minimal velocity, that sort of thing ..... simple plinking is all I need. Nothing fancy, nothing "accurate" ..... just simple plinking. Thus, I'm thinking that shoving the bullet into the case a "little" further so that the cartridge COL will fit into the cylinder is just fine, with no case length trimming needed.

SO, with all of that: discussions and thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated !!!!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reloading Info for a specific Hornady bullet

Post by ollogger »

I have never used that bullet but i would cut that tip off and see if it would let the cylinder turn
i looked at some today for cheap at a gun show, but passed on them, always cast my own

ollogger
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

A Hornady reloading manual is about $30. If you prefer to listen what joeblows on the web say, you are in for trouble. Here's what my 9th edition says:

"Due to the longer ogive it is critical that cartridge cases be trimmed to the length specified."

I cant think of any good reason why Hornady would lie about the matter.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Yes, I read that statement about the ogive ..... and haven't a single solitary clue what the heck it means.

It's not a matter of Hornady lying, it's a matter of explaining the WHY of what the heck it means.

In other words, why is the length of the ogive "critical" to reloading with that particular bullet ??

It makes it sound just like a parent telling a child, "because I say so." Or a drill sargeant talking to a recruit. Or on occasion, my Chief Petty Officer talking to me.

I don't want to know "because." I don't want joeblow platitudes. I would like to know WHY.

It is "engineering speak." Does anybody speak that sort of engineering as to WHY Hornady would make such a statement ??
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Hornady tenth edition says to trim the case to 1.215" for that bullet. "Due to the longer ogive it is critical that cartridge cases be trimmed to the length specified." HTH
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

The Hodgdon Reloading Data Center has that specific bullet listed. It calls for COL of 1.700

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reload ... ue&type=53
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Gentlemen,

I remain lost.

I read the provided wikipedia definition of ogive, and I have zero skills for translating that technical information into WHY it is critical to trim the case length to 1.215" for the FTX bullet. If YOU understand it, then TRANSLATE it so that we on the Forum can understand it.

The Hodgdon Data Center says COL of 1.700".
---- Is that using a normal length case ??
---------- Or does Hodgdon likewise specify that the case must be trimmed to the Critical 1.215" length for that specific bullet ??
-
Last edited by new pig hunter on Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Hornady assumes that anybody shooting that premium-priced bullet is going to load for max velocities in "Ruger only" loadings which will require a really good crimp to keep the bullet from "jumping" forward and locking up the cylinder. But the fellow loading 7 grains of Unique for 900 fps or so doesn't have the same "jump the crimp" worries as the fellow loading 27 grains of H110 for 1500 fps.

For the plinking velocities you are talking there would be no problem in using some nice low-moderate pressure loading with the bullet seated deep enough to nicely clear the cylinder. In fact when I asked QuickLoad about that bullet it said you could use that bullet ahead of those 7 grains of Unique at a COAL of 1.58 and pressures less than 14K psi and a very pleasant shooting 900 fps. Go for it.

But if you ever decide to go "full throttle" you might seriously consider taking Hornady's case-trim advice.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Short story is pointy bullets are longer than blunt bullets within a certain weight range. overall length will be longer in standard cases. If you deep seat the bullets to get within overall length with the pointy bullets pressure will rise. The bullets were designed to be used in shorter cases and the data reflects that. Ultimately if you decide to load them deeply in standard cases you are own your own. I like Hornady but these bullets are a bit gimmicky anyway. The BC increase is minimal in revolver bullets and the larger rifle bullets over flat point designs. I have a box of ammo but I don’t think I will hand load those bullets.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

They are fatter and thicker, bigger around, towards the point, so have to be seated deeper to chamber. Its also why in Keith's writings anout his 173gr SWC in .38 Special cases instead of .357. They stick out front of cylinder if crimped in 357's. Todd/3leg
They are accurate, well with iron sites and good eyes. For shooting up to 200 yards.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Sorry to change the subject.
3leggedturtle: I've told people your tag line, It's 5:56PM, do you know where your 223 is?, but they act confused even after it is explained to them! :roll:
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

OK, I'm now feeling much better and safer about using these FTX bullets.

earlmck provides the insight: a low-pressure load is OK using normal length cases. I am just a plinker and have zero interest in "high performance/full throttle."
------- I now plan to use normal-length cases and load the low-end amount of powder specified.

My Ruger Blackhawk .45LC cylinder is plenty long enough to accommodate a cartridge with a 1.700" COL: I made one yesterday, it does not stick out the front of the cylinder, thus no problem rotating the cylinder.
----- Therefore a COL from 1.58" to 1.7" will be satisfactory.

Thank You to all !!
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

UPDATE

This morning I loaded up 6 rounds into normal-length cases. This loading is what I've been using for 250-grain Berry bullets:
-- 7.3 grains of VihtaVouri N320 powder (the low end of the powder load chart).
-- COL = 1.600"

Fired through my Ruger Blackhawk.

Result at a target distance of 7 yards: soft shooting, reasonably accurate.

So, I'm plenty happy with that result, it is all I need for plinking.