Chico Cano--interesting journey

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Chico Cano--interesting journey

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I've told the story of how Texas Ranger Joe Sitter was murdered by Chico Cano's gang on May 24, 1915. Jim Wilson and I were in the canyon where it happened on May 24, 2015. See photos below.

However, my good friend and fellow Shootist Rob Leahy called me from Arizona last week and started something. I drove to El Paso on Thursday and I think I am only starting this journey and I'm not sure exactly where this is going. Too many coincidences to be ignored.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Chico Cano--interesting journey

Robert told me that Andy Stanford played this song on his accordion by the fire out at Gunsite and he immediately thought about me. I had not previously known about this song, but it’s a good one.

https://youtu.be/q7SekSKqFOo

Here is some additional information on Chico Cano:

http://www.rimrockpress.com/blog/index. ... 824-100349

Here's a photo of Chico Cano with American military officers shortly after the turn of last century. Quite a dashing personage and he was well known. At this time, I believe that he was loosely connected with Pancho Villa's forces. But he changed horses several times during the Mexican Revolution so it is hard to tell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Tomorrow I’ll fill you in on where I’m going with this.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Intriguing... :)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

So, I am told that there is a direct descendant of Chico Cano who resides in El Paso and who wrote a book titled:

"Bandito: The Story of Chico Cano, The Last Western Bandit." His name is Tony Cano. His name is unfortunately common and I was not able to find him through ordinary channels. The book is also unfortunately out of print so I will have to keep looking (Able Books has a copy for only $775.00 and $5 shipping).

I represent the City of El Paso in a number of police related cases, so I needed to go out there on Thursday and Friday of last week. Doing a little research, I found that there is a group of people using the name "Chico Cano" who are apparently rising up against the Mexican drug cartels.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Good stuff Scott!

Let's hope there are some people down there ready to fight back against those monsters running around south of the border responsible for all the killings and violence!

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Thanks for sharing that, Scott. I look forward to hearing about your further inquiries into the matter. It's a fascinating bit of history indeed.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Unfortunately I saw a story out of Mexico where a bunch of “Chico Canos” were murdered by a drug cartel an in a way to intimidate others. At some point this is going to become an intolerable situation. But it’s hard to see how this will play out with a largely disarmed population.

An interesting parallel is that I read that during the Mexican Revolution cartridge’s became very scarce and sold for a dollar a piece at times (sound familiar?). Of course those 1915 dollars were much more valuable than today’s dollar.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Scott, I am on the edge of my seat!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Unfortunately work is interfering. But I would think it would be cool to have a beer with one of Chico Cano's descendants either in Texas or on the other side of the Rio Bravo.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

a bunch of “Chico Canos” were murdered by a drug cartel
something like 10 years ago i was in Mx and found out that a half-dozen heads of policemen were deposited in the parking lot of a bus transfer station. Two days before missionaries were to arrive for ministry in that neighborhood.

the streets were crawling with small pickups with 3 big guys up front and 4 to 6 in back. full combat gear with what i was guessing were M4s.

on the main old highway Tecate Tijuana there was a wide out with a soldier diverting traffic to an inspection station. there were two 50 cal brownings in sandbag revetments with a field of fire that crossed thru the vehicle being checked out. the soldiers carried the 556 version of the G3, and the officers carried the G3.

at one spot, in the entrance to M2 from Mexicali was an inspector backed by a tracked vehicle with a canon on it. i didn't ask.

first time I went to Mx i rode a train third class from Nogales to Mazatlan. at one food stop near a covered bush you could hear the sound of gunfire, LOTS of it, up in the hills. there were two fully armed guards in each car. third class was hardwood slatted park benches. very early vibe about the whole scene.

all of which to say that there was not much difference between the Mexico I visited, and the one Chico Cano lived in, in terms of the value or not of the life of los pobrecitos.