How important is a forend cap screw?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

How important is a forend cap screw?

Post by 44shooter »

This summer I bought a Marlin 444 with a missing for-end cap screw. Now that I disassembled it to give a thorough cleaning (surface rust removal), it seems like having only one screw might affect the bedding relationship of the barrel and fore-end. Is it important to have a screw on each side? Where is a good source or does anyone have spares?

Oh it’s a pre safety and is cleaning up rather nicely. It sure was filthy though
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: How important is a forend cap screw?

Post by Sixgun »

It's not a target gun so it won't matter......buts is still nice to have one in there as after time with heavy recoiling it will possibly flex to the one side or worse, the cap and tenon may fly off altogether.......it's a common thread size....I'm thinking a 6-48.....if you have an extra scope ring screw laying around it should work.....going from memory and there's not much of that left anymore so I could be wrong on the thread size. Scope ring screws will have a slightly different head to it but that can be taken care of by chucking the screw in a drill press or a regular drill and holding a file against it to match the head of the other screw......then touch it up with cold blue.

I keep hundreds of screws of most sizes along with taps and dies to make a screw if need be....all guncranks should keep these things laying around....Brownells sells a plastic compartment thingy with many different kinds of screws just for things like that. About the cost of a case of good beer.----006
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: How important is a forensic cap screw?

Post by AJMD429 »

I got a couple of the Brownells screw replacement kits.

Eventually all the soft steel hex bolts in my scope rings get replaced with Torx screws that are less likely to strip.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Contact Larry Osborn at:

marlingunscrews@gmail.com 208-651-6300

When it comes to Marlin screws nobody has any finer made screws than he has, and at fair pricing.

Be sure to pull the other screw first to make sure the missing screw isn't snapped off in the forearm cap hanger!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I have the stocks and mag off. The hanger is empty on the right. I should have some 6-48 screws tucked away somewhere to try. I’d rather have something in there. The hanger isn’t very tight in the dovetail. It seems cinching down on just one side wouldn’t be a good idea
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The proper screw has a oval head, and usually smaller head than the typical 6-48 gun screw. Hope you have something that also looks like the other side.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

So I found some scope mount screws I held on to and put in a torx head with a similar shank length. It seemed a wee bit tighter than the screw in the rifle but it drove in fine with a screwdriver and cinched up well. The head stands a little proud but it's not in the way and doesn't look bad. The head diameter is about perfect. I'm going to call it good for now. I feel a lot better with it in there especially since the sling stud is on the cap. This rifle wasn't but $400 and looks pretty good now that I got all the grime, surface rust, and the mildew off the strap. Thanks Six
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:24 am Contact Larry Osborn at:

marlingunscrews@gmail.com 208-651-6300

When it comes to Marlin screws nobody has any finer made screws than he has, and at fair pricing.

Be sure to pull the other screw first to make sure the missing screw isn't snapped off in the forearm cap hanger!
+1!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!