OT-No scent gun oils

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

OT-No scent gun oils

Post by Mainehunter »

What kind do you use to keep your firearms dry but doesn't give any strong oder? Which ones to stay away from? Thanks!

Mainehunter :wink:
sgtgrinche

Re: OT-No scent gun oils

Post by sgtgrinche »

lucas gun oil good stuff just hard to find in a store
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Does the odor bother you...or the critters your sneaking up on?

If you have a oil allergy or chemical sensitivity I guess you may have to try stuff until you find someting you dont react to.

As far as critters go... sporting goods salemen catch a lot of hunters with all sorts of scent free products. Nothing I've ever stalked or shot at objected to 3 in 1, Hoppes, CLP etc. They did not care for the lead injection however.

Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

No scent gun oils and stuff. I do not know if it is possible as most animals have the ability to scent things we humans could not do. Example: Hogs used to hunt truffles which are underground. Dogs used by drug enforcers, customs inspectors for hidden plant material, meat and so on. I would venture to say you might have luck with something called Lard Oil. This is oil made by cold press method out of hog lard. I have found it more or less odorless, water clear, burns brightly in a lantern. It was used for years by the railroads in their signal lamps and lanterns as it gave a white flame with no soot or smell. My father claimed it was better for a fine machine oil and used by tool and die makers as it didn't dry out or leave unpleasent residue. I did a search one time on the internet and did find it can still be found but mostly for pharmacutical purposes. Many in the past claimed it was better than whale oil. This stuff is not melted hog fat and does have some good lubricating and preservative properties. It was favored by watch makers for lubricating watch internals. Just an odd thought. ATB
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

RIG 7.

Colourless, odorless. High viscosity, stay better in slide rails than anything except perhaps LSA and grease.

Hard to find in Europe, regrettably.

Hermann
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Maybe I'm strange, but I actually LIKE the smell of Hoppe's No 9... If they made a cologne - I'd probably buy it. :oops:
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I LIKE the smell of Hoppe's No 9 gun oil..
it reminds me of years gone by...
shooting with dad and his friends....
and coming home from hunting and cleaning
the guns before they went back on the rack!
Gotta have that smell...its part of the experience
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Several months ago I posed a nearly identical query on other forums. And I have an answer.

Break Free CLP is a cleaning agent, corrosion inhibitor, and lubricant. It was originally intended to be used on M16s and the ID of 105 mm howitzer barrels -- as I was told by Captain Williams, my company commander.

When first applied it smells a great deal like an overpowering banana smell to me. The good thing is this must be the propellant's odor. Within a day or two, no odor. Nothing.

Hope this helps.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

I use Dri Slide (www.uniquetek.com)& Militec 1.My GS introduced me to sperm whale oil over 35 years ago but it's long since gone from the market.I've been sent samples of lubes that outright stink so I don't use them.I can't stand the odor of Ballistol!