A Different Take On UFO's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Re: A Different Take On UFO's

Post by JimT »

For accurate target shooting I like a black 1" square on white paper at 25 yards. It appears to be about half the width of the front sight and I can tell easily if I am centered or not when using a 6 o'clock hold.
IMG_1547.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is excellent for about the lightest load I have ever seen ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Did the :) UFOs help here. :roll:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Show me the best group with full power loads, off hand not rested, two hands ok.

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:20 pm That is excellent for about the lightest load I have ever seen ;-)
In the old home-built Model 10 S&W .38 Special that's pretty close to factory velocity.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:25 pm Show me the best group with full power loads, off hand not rested, two hands ok.
IMG_2786.JPG
IMG_2789.JPG
Full power. Offhand. No rest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:36 pm
Old Savage wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:25 pm Show me the best group with full power loads, off hand not rested, two hands ok.
Full power. Offhand. No rest.
Perfection. :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hilarious. You get points for sense of humor.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Cute reply, how about we go with say 44 Special or 45 Colt 900 ish. Know you got ‘em and are just teasing. Again, offhand as we seem to be splitting hairs.

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:51 pm Cute reply, how about we go with say 44 Special or 45 Colt 900 ish. Know you got ‘em and are just teasing. Again, offhand as we seem to be splitting hairs.
I don't know I have any targets shot offhand lately. Most of 'em would be when I still had decent eyesight and that was some years ago. Most of my hunting loads I test from a rest as I try to get a rest when I am hunting. The elk I shot, I laid down, rested on my left elbow, propped up my right knee and rested the gun alongside my right leg in the old silhouette position. Put the bullets right where they needed to be. I don't trust my offhand to be that steady any more.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well there you go and I have never shot a rested pistol group but then I thought we were talking about the Baptist tendency to cram everything including UFOs into their existing dogma regardless of any other info including thousands of years of information from societies across the earth and time. Say, you weren’t trying to slip that issue were you ?

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:31 pm .
I had a friend about 10 years older than me who spent his teenage years shooting a hundred thousand rounds or so of 22 Long rifle standard velocity out of a little Ivers-Johnson revolver. He would have to ‘walk-in’ his shots, and do it on a calm day, but he would hit quart oil cans at 300 yards which was the length of the abandoned quarry he shot at. The only way to tell was with a spotting scope and setting them on a narrow strip of metal scrap where a hit would usually knock them off; sometimes he’d count hits as misses because it was easy to hit a can and not knock it off, but just make a hole in it.

I’ve actually never been able to hit anything with open sights where the target was smaller than the front sight. I don’t understand how people do that, whether with handgun or rifle. I don’t even understand how they can use low magnification scopes. If I can’t see it clearly, I’m not gonna be able to hit it, so I tend to use higher magnification scope than most people.
On more than one occasion I've had to use a feature near the intended target as the reference point for the front sight.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:32 pm Well there you go and I have never shot a rested pistol group but then I thought we were talking about the Baptist tendency to cram everything including UFOs into their existing dogma regardless of any other info including thousands of years of information from societies across the earth and time. Say, you weren’t trying to slip that issue were you ?
Well .. I can't really comment on Baptists because there are many different breeds of Baptists and I have never taken the time to sort out who did what to whom to cause all the divisions. It is not important to me. The differences between organized religions is tedious, time-consuming and pointless.

But I would still like to shoot down a UFO if it won't surrender to me. And I carry salt just in case it is manned by disgusting slug-like creatures.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I agree on the religious divisions distinctions. Just a reference to some religious groups tendency to have an answer for everything whether it seems to apply or not. Experience with some friends.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:55 am I agree on the religious divisions distinctions. Just a reference to some religious groups tendency to have an answer for everything whether it seems to apply or not. Experience with some friends.
Just because your opinions and value system is different from others does not invalidate those that differ from your own :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Heck, if you practice enough you can do some incredible things. Old Elmer had superb eyesight and the ability to accurately judge bullet drop and the necessary lead in taking moving game. Consider Ed McGivern who was able to shoot washers thrown into the air with tape over the holes so there was no doubt about whether he hit them or not. Pictures in his book show him hitting aerial targets and his sights were nowhere near lined up with his targets. It was an enormous amount of practice that allowed him to shoot two aerial target thrown up simultaneously, one in front of him and one behind, 180° apart. I believe essentially what Elmer wrote about. He had credible witnesses around him whose stories could be corraborated. Besides, I want to believe in him and his remarkable marksmanship. He was the real deal.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Walt, I'm with you, seen some shooters that most of us don't have the opportunity to see shoot ultra long range with a pistol. But seen them do it just the same.

Hoping to do it myself some day. Probably not, but maybe.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just because most people can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Suspiciously absent from the conversation is a photo record from Posting Leader Old Savage. Since Jim has been forth coming with his results, it would be good to see the record from OS . . . then we can compare and contrast.

Grizz sendz

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

“Full power” ;-) .22s offhand from 50 ft.

But the point wasn’t to compare shooting. It was what does long range handgunning translate to at normal handgun ranges.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

the point I captured is that long range shooting with a hand gun is a normal handgun range.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hey Grizz, ;-) here is a one shot group. I am claiming the good sense not to take another shot :-)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Grizz, do you just like to think that? To what purpose?

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If that's just 50 feet, at 50 yards that would be off the paper. No handgun hunting for you. :lol: And, that was 32 years ago.
Hmmm....we might need a match, here. A month ago I was shooting the flowers off wild dandelions @ about 50-60 feet with an air pistol....I'm in. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:28 pm Hey Grizz, ;-) here is a one shot group. I am claiming the good sense not to take another shot :-)
Sounds like my Dad. when he did that he would take the target down and quit shooting. Because it was sighted in. LOL
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:17 pm Grizz, do you just like to think that? To what purpose?
I think how I think. I don't care what anyone but Jesus thinks about it. The purpose is to exalt Him.

what's yours ?

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I just meant shooting.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:37 pm I just meant shooting.
OK. I think the wascally context-drift drifted in. Are you asking what I think about shooting? Or?

grizz
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Found this in the OP to maybe get 'er back on track although I find the distraction entertaining... :lol: Please continue on as you please!
"And so, if there was a laser image projecting a hologram, that could not only explain those factors, it could also explain a lot of these images seem to be able to move in a very erratic fashion that defies our laws of physics," Shapiro noted.
Reminds me of a cat chasing a laser pointer on a wall but would explain a lot of what we are seeing.

I think if it gets within 7/8ths of a mile, I stand a chance of hitting it with my Mauser or CZ 550 rifles but if its only an illusion then we would never know and it makes ranging it a PITA. :)

-T-
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

well Yeah. But for the laser hologram you need the new double 07.5 Interceptor which can be found at the nearest onion department store. it works on the inverse-non-reflection principle and harvests the coordinate for the shot and feeds that to your projectile. Right up your alley Cowboy!! :lol: :lol:
:lol:
:lol:
:roll: i crack myself up sometimes

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, I was actually referring to my stock iron sights....I'm still scope illiterate but working on it!!! :lol: -Tutt