Winchester 94 in 32 spl.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester 94 in 32 spl.

Post by JOG »

This morning I headed down to my local gun shop to see what's new on the shelves.
They had a few decent used S&W behind glass. A couple of 686 models at $700. and $675.00.
Out of the corner of my eye the man behind the distant counter was foundlings a nice looking older lever gun!
Like Gov. Cuomo on a intern, I sprinted over to take a peek! It was a pre 64 Winchester in really nice shape.
The employee told me it was late 1940's. When I looked it over I realized it was pre war. Pre World War 2 that is.
Serial # 11502XX. After checking the numbers it turned out to be 1937. Not pre WW1 but quite nice just the same.
The best part was that it was in 32 special! The wood was much better than the usual 30-30 that once lined the shelves'.
I looked the inside over with my pocket flashlight. The bore was perfect and as clean as I have ever seen!
There is a few minor ding's on the stock that appears to have happened a long time ago.
It looks like it was carried a bit and shot very little! Slightly faded bluing all original.
The only thing I would need would be the hood on the front sight's. I put a few hundred down on a 60 day hold.
I'm very happy that I decided to stop in and take a look and see if any vintage lever gun's walked in recently!
I've looked to see if anybody is still making the 32 Winchester special.
It look's like Hornady is producing a 165 gr. flex tip round.
Remington is also producing a 170 gr. core lokt round.
Do any of you gentleman have any experience with either of these round's.
Enjoy your Sunday! :D
Johnny
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Winchester 94 in 32 spl.

Post by piller »

I have shot about 8 rounds of the Hornady flex-tip to check function. They functioned perfectly. Accuracy was good. No experience on game yet with that gun or those rounds.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

I've got 3 Winchester 94 in 32 Special caliber. Been hunting with them for 45+ years. Have shot both ammo you mention, had good results on white tail from both. The pointed Hornady is supposed to be accurate to a longer distance but I max out around 100 yards due to declining eye sight. At 100yds both ammo group 2"-2.5" off a rest. I now mostly shoot my own loads and save the factory ammo for tough times that may never come.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

After doing some homework on the computer it appears that Remington is making new production 32 spl. 170 gr. Core Lokt flat points.
I viewed several shorts on You Tube of guy's shooting pre 64 Winchesters 94 in 32 spl.
Remington accuracy is much better than Hornady's. The one gentleman was getting 6 to 8 inches a 100 yards with Hornady's 165 gr. flex tips.
Remington's 170gr. flat point's were all around 2 inches or better at 100 yards. I guess it's more the gun's preference.
Trail and error will eventually let me know what the Winchester prefers.
Johnny
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I’m pretty sure Winchester and Federal both offer at least one loading as well.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Federal has been the most accurate in my Win 94 30-30 followed by Win in the 170s.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

NOW that's a good day. Congradulations on the 1894. 32 Special.....because it's SPECIAL.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice score.
I have a bunch of 32WS's ranging in barrel length from 16 to 24 inches. All great shooters. On average, across several rifles in each caliber, I find I get a little better accuracy from 32 over 30-30. One of my most accurate lever action Winchesters is a 32WS. It was a n 1894 rifle from 1899 that was returned to the factory and had a model 64 24" barrel and 2/3 magazine fitted with a 56 Lyman installed. Wonderfully smooth and accurate rifle with great balance.
I use the 170gr Hornady Interlock over IMR3031 in all of them.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

My .32 spl. is a Win Mod 64. It wears Redfield peep sights will shoot winchester,Rem,and federal ammo with 170gr bullets almost to the same point of impact.tried hand loading with a lee loader but results were much better with factory ammo.Never killed a deer with it but at running deer target shoots one Sunday morning the man in charge said jokingly "please don't come with that gun next year".So next year I showed up with the 94 in 30-30 and he remarked you guys and those da!@#$ lever guns. This year the mod 88 in .308 goes to the shoot.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Several years ago I shot a doe with one of my 1894's in 32 special. She was close so it wasn't much of a shot but it worked very well. At the shot she hunched up and took off 20-25 yards with a blood trail Ray Charles could of followed. The blood trail was 6 inches wide then all over, then six inches wide, then all over. I found her laying down like she was sleepng, when I rolled her over I saw why the odd bloodtrail…. a fairly good sized portion of her heart was on the outside of the hide open to air. IIRC I was using Remington 170's. Not as good as the doe I shot two years ago with a 405 grain 45-70 but still good.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

In 45 plus years of hunting Whitetail deer my 32 Winchesters have dropped more than 40 animals. Almost all were one shot kills, never lost an animal. Never had a failure.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Thanks for all your opinions gentleman!
I never owned a 32 spl. before.
I glad to hear Remmy, Winchester, Federal, Hornady still make ammo for this old round!
Sure sounds like the 170's are the way to go!
Looking forward to enjoying this old Winny!
He's the problem, I also found a 1980 made S&W model 18-2 in near mint shape.
The original box and all the paper work with it. Not even a turn line on the cylinder!
I talked the guy down to $675.00 on the S&W. K22's in this shape bring a whole lot more!
Not to fear both on a 60 day hold.
$200 still owed on the Winchester.
$500 on the S&W.
So many vintage guns, so little money to buy them!
Hey OldWin, sounds like you have a real winner with the 24 inch barrel on a 1899 model 94!
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks JOG!
I think I have 6 32 Specials. I thought I had a handy pic but I guess I don't. I will see if I can get one. They are all Winchester 94s, except one model 64 and a case colored 1936 Marlin.

Oh, and if you are feeling bad about the Smith......
I sold a 2.5" round butt model 19 last week. It was super minty but no box or papers. It was advertised less than 24hrs and I got a 1k for it.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

OldWin wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:39 pm Thanks JOG!
I think I have 6 32 Specials. I thought I had a handy pic but I guess I don't. I will see if I can get one. They are all Winchester 94s, except one model 64 and a case colored 1936 Marlin.

Oh, and if you are feeling bad about the Smith......
I sold a 2.5" round butt model 19 last week. It was super minty but no box or papers. It was advertised less than 24hrs and I got a 1k for it.
Hey OldWin
It sounds like you have a great collection of fine old levers guns!! I always wanted a old Marlin 93 or 36 in case coloring!
I didn't sell the S&W, I'm guying one! I put it on a 60 day hold!
Now I have two guns on a 60 day hold that I have to somehow figure out how to pay for.
I might trade off one of my old Remington shotguns to help with payment on the Smith & Wesson.
I hope all is well up north.
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

No no! I KNOW you were buying. I was trying to make you feel better about money you spent! :D

I have a few Winchesters. I buy very few now. They have priced the average hick out of it.
Have a few Marlins. My favorite is an 1889 rifle in 38-40 with a 2/3 mag. Excellent shooter.
I did have a nice 1881 45-70 with a factory 24" octagon barrel and shotgun butt. Had a factory letter. I did let that one go a few years ago. Someone wanted it WAY worse than me. :D
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Your completely right OldWin!
I have to do some wheeling and dealing to get the Winchester and S&W.
The prices on pre 64 Winchesters, old Marlin, Colts and Smith's are pretty crazy right now!
Some times I wish I held on to the Winchester and Colt's that I owned back in the day. When you try to replace it, it's sticker shock.
I won't be buying anything for quite a while after I pick up the Smith and Winchester!
I'm looking forward to this fall's deer season. I'll be using the 1886 in 33 wcf or the 94 in32 spl.
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice.
You lug that 86 for a while and you'll see why they are so many 94s. :D
Cool as they are, I never use my big Winchesters. My 1886 is a 45-90 full octagon so it's not too fun to lug all day. If I ever got another, it would be a late production extra lightweight.
While my 71 is a little lighter, it's still just too much for deer. I haven't used it since I shot a moose with it in 2009.
For deer hunting up here, I like the 92s and 94s.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

OldWin wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:52 am Nice.
You lug that 86 for a while and you'll see why they are so many 94s. :D
Cool as they are, I never use my big Winchesters. My 1886 is a 45-90 full octagon so it's not too fun to lug all day. If I ever got another, it would be a late production extra lightweight.
While my 71 is a little lighter, it's still just too much for deer. I haven't used it since I shot a moose with it in 2009.
For deer hunting up here, I like the 92s and 94s.
The old 1886 does have some weight to it! I lugged it a few miles in the wood's a few weeks ago.
I was dripping by the time I found a good spot to put a few rounds thru her!
The 94's are the easiest lugging rifle {carbine} bar none! Same with the 92.
I will use the 86 when I park my butt behind a old stone wall within a half mile from my home.
The 33 wcf is a perfect caliber for medium to large deer that we have here in Maine.
I guess it would be big enough for most anything around here.
We do have some big black bear in the woods here!
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You bet. The 33wcf is an excellent cartridge. As a matter of fact, the largest deer ever shot in Maine was shot with an 1996 extra lw in 33wcf.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Pics I mentioned.....
In the pic with the 4, the one on the far left is a standard pre-war carbine. It's super tight but has been carried many a mile in the Maine woods. Not a lick of finish on the receiver. Beside it is a standard saddle carbine with a Lyman tang sight from 1907. This thing is a shooter!
Beside that is the factory return 94/64 hybrid I mentioned above. One of my favorite Winchesters. It don't look like much, but it's so smooth and accurate It's crazy. On the far right is a very clean standard model 64.

In the other pic is the trapper 94 I built for my dad 30 years ago. The receiver is from 1899 and it was factory rebarreled in 32WS sometime in the 30s. I got it cheap and we made a trapper in my buddies shop for my dad's birthday. It shoots great and he killed a 140lb doe with it year before last at 78. The Marlin just happened to be in the pic I had handy. It is a 30-30 336 that was
Made in 1950. One of a pair we did. Mine was a first year round bolt 336 made in 1948. I slimmed the wood on mine.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

That's a fantastic collection! I love the old lever's. I'm not sure which one I like better!
My old hunting buddy's always thought that a 100 year old rifle could not possibly shoot accurately!
I used to have a Winchester 94 saddle ring carbine 30-30 made in 1912 that would outshoot most anything my buddy's had out to about 130 yards or so!
Like a fool I traded it off on something else I wanted at the time. The old levers I now own are staying with me until I'm gone!
Thanks for posting the photo's OldWin! You have a great collection! I hope to one day have a collection half as nice as yours'!
I think is great that your dad still gets out in the field at his age!
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks buddy.
It's the older ones that usually shoot the best haha. :D

I filled out the old man's doe permit application today. He will be 80 in September. I take the whole month of November off every year. I've hunted with dad my whole life. He still even does a little tree stand duty. Matter of fact, he shot that doe with the trapper from one.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

That's sound's like a good time with the old man! Life is short, so make good memory with the people we love.
It sure sound's like you come from hardy stock! I hope the old man fills the freezer for the winter.
There's nothing like a venison roast with vegetable's slow cooked in a Dutch oven on a cold winters day!
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha I hear that. His mom made to 100. Tougher than a bag of hammers. :D
We had a camp in Kingsbury for 20 years. We got caught up in that windmill fiasco. Man, they ruined some beautiful country.
Now we have 200 acres in Brighton. It's close to home so we haul our ice shack up during hunting season. We have a place to get warm, change clothes, and have lunch. Works great.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

200 acres is a fair size plot to hunt. I'm on about 52 acres bordered by some private land. A decent stream with some beaver ponds on the low end.
The nice part is that it borders a water shed area with many miles of wood's into New Hampshire. Mt Agamenticus is two miles from me.
The view is the best in southern Maine. 800 foot above sea level. You can see forever on a clear day. Lot's of rugged trails to try
to keep in shape. It's also the best fall birdwatching area I've ever been to. Sorry I'm rambling on.
Anyway I'll pick up the 32 spl. this weekend! I don't think I'll find any 32 spl. ammo available.
I'll also put a few bucks down on the S&W K22.
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sounds like a great spot Johnny.
We have a nice stream with ponds also. We border a family friend who owns 1200 acres so we have room to run around aplenty.

I was over to Bethel last week with the bike. Rode up through Grafton Notch to Errol and back home on 16. I don't get down to the southern part if the state too often. Used to hit KTP once a year but haven't in a while.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Rt 16 up north is great! I take the wife up there a few times a year.
Let me tell you the tourists down here are terrible! If I cant backroad it I don't want to go!
I'll be the first one in the door at K.T.P. Saturday morning to get the 32 spl.
The trading post is starting to pick up some old Winchester and Marlins as of lately!
I've got to stay the hell out of there! I drop in for a box or two of ammo and wind up with a new old rifle!
I stopped in a few days ago and they had a 1901 model 94 in 32-20 cal. if memory serve me correctly.
Not much bluing left on the receiver but a beauty just the same! They wanted $1,350 for it.
They also had a old Winchester 25-20 from the early 1900's. Now that I think about it it could have been a model 92.
Did they make a model 94 in 25-20 ? Anyway enjoy your evening OldWin!
Johnny
Last edited by JOG on Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Both the 32-20 and 25-20 were 92 chamberings.
The time at KTP that stands out for me was one time my wife and I went in and they had an 1876 Winchester Express in 50-95. Very scarce and desirable. On top of that, it was a full magazine. Most Express rifles had short mags. I looked it over real close and could find nothing wrong. Excellent bore, overall good condition, tight action. The tag was between 6500 and 7k if I remember correctly. It was a good buy. My wife told me to get it if I liked it. :shock:

With 3 sons still at home I let it go. It's the only Express I've ever had in my hands, or probably WILL ever.
Oh well......
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

KTP used to have so many T/C Contender barrels listed on their web pages, havent seen any for quite awhile niw. Sure envious of you being able to drive there.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

It's a lot longer drive for me than JOG. :D

It is a cool place to cruise through. They used to have dozens of upright racks on the floor full of used guns you could paw over. FUN
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

K.T.P. is 20 min from home. It's actually a curse living that close to the biggest gun shop on the east coast!
OldWin that sound's like a real beauty that 76 in 50-90! They do get some rare bird's coming thru there!
I was admiring a few top dollar Parkers they had on the shelf! both in the $7000 range. Both 20 gauge.
They also had a very old Marlin that looked just like the model 39 take down, but I believe it was in a 32 short.
It was a rimmed cartridge. I'll check out the 25-20 to see if it's a 92. I think it was $1,100.
It seems the trading post doesn't list 90% of there guns on there site anymore.
I guess it's to time consuming between taking photo and describing every little issue.
If I were only a rich man.
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

20 minutes! Wow. I'm over 2hrs.
That Marlin sounds like an 1991 maybe.
Haha the first time I went in there I flipped out. My buddies shop where I have hung out since HS is a one room place with no plumbing and a wood stove!

Strangely enough, it's where 90% of Winchesters came from.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My 1950s Model 94 in .32 WS came from KTP. It was precisely as described. Even shipped to Texas was under $700 total. I am still very happy with it.
D. Brian Casady
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

It seems the old lever action are up in price by about 20 to 25% since the beginning of the pandemic.
The 1937 Winchester 94 in 32 spl. that I'm getting is $775.00. Not to bad for a oldie like that!
Gunbroker want a grand or more.
I really like the Winchester logo that's on the tang of the carbine.
Does anybody know when they stopped applying the logo to the tang?
Most likely just before WW2.
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The stamping on your upper tang is what is called the "lightning bolt" style.
Yes, it was around WW2 that the upper tang marking and the tang sight hole were discontinued. The tapped holes for a receiver sight were added roughly the same time. These were seen earlier on the model 64.
As with anything Winchester, there is no specific cutoff due to the way Winchester utilized parts.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Hornady Flextip ammo warning:

Check whether the brass for the Flextip ammo is shorter than stand 32Special brass. That is the cse for the Hornady Flextip in 348Winchester :twisted: :, I bought 4 boxes of this before I knew. If you don't reload, not a pob;em. If you reload, in my opinion it is a no go.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

That's good to know Big Bear! I just pick up the Winchester 94 a hour ago.
I've just finished a major cleaning. Somebody took very good care of the 94!
The patches came out of the bore pretty much clean.
What I didn't notice at the gun shop was it is missing the sight elevator.
Looking on line it appears a post 1927 3c would fit in this 1937 model.
All in all I'm very happy with it. I'll try to get some photos this weekend.
If anybody has a sight elevator for sale let me know.
Both the early Winchester's I mentioned yesterday sold yesterday within a few hrs.!
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That 3C elevator should not be a problem any 3C elevator up to 1963 will work I think. Sadly, I don't have a spare, or I'd send it to you.
I'm assuming it isn't drilled and tapped for a receiver sight?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Yes, the .32 WS flex tip brass is shorter than normal brass. I did not reload that short brass. I was conceened that it might make the pressure go too high if I tried. I still consider myself a novice to reloading, and anything like that slightly short brass makes me a bit nervous.
D. Brian Casady
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

No it's not drilled. That's good to know that basically any pre 64 should work.
I'm sure I'll come across one sooner or later.
I see they have repro's on E bay, I want a real Winchester made elevator.
I was looking over the ammo at the gun shop.
It seems that 90% of it is for self defense. They did have Remington 30-30 for 21.99 a box.
Remington 405 gr. 45-70 was $49.99! It's still a little pricey.
I use to get my ammo at Walmart. The last two times I went there they had nothing!
Good things come to those that wait.
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'm no help as far as factory ammo, but I'm not a fan of the Core-Lokt bullet. I know I'm in a small, small minority.
Just from observation of others, as I've never shot anything with them.
As a matter of fact, I've never shot a deer with a factory loaded round of ammo in my entire life.

My buddies shop has been closed, or I could get you an elevator. He has had some health issues.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Sorry to hear about your buddy's health issue.
I don't think it will be to hard to find. I also want a hood for the bead at the end of the barrel.
KTP doesn't deal with parts, plenty of accessory's.
One gentleman I know there has his eye out for some 32 spl. ammo for me.
The best part about that shop is when they buy old guns there's usually ammo with it.
They sell the older ammo for about half the price of brand new!
Lot's of odd ball and popular caliber stuff that guy's like me want!
Today they had 5 boxes of WW2 USGI 1945 30 cal. for the M1 Garand made by Winchester for $20.00 a box.
I guess a buck a round isn't the greatest price. More of a collectable.
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah, the hoods are nice to have.... just not on the rifle haha. Can't stand them, myself.

Yeah, that ammo is something to put on the shelf with your M1 accouterments. I have some carbine ammo like that.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

That's true they shade the front site quite a bit. I don't think I've ever had one on any lever action rifle I owned!
Not a necessity for a hunting rifle. Where has Sixgun been hiding?
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Especially in lower light early and late.

I don't know. He's been MIA for a few days.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

If you shoot in bright light you might like the hood.

Six been on another mission, likely be bac soon.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Congrats on the 32!
Sounds like your happy with it. Good deal!
The ammo is about as rare as the guns -but it's out there.
It's a real treat when you're having a look around and get a chance to be rewarded with something "Special" :D
My first child - '94 30-30
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

I have an original 32 Winchester single cavity mold in 160 grain. It was manufactured 1895-1900. All this talk got me excited to pull the mold and cast up a few hundred leads. Then it's time to work up a good load. My current 32 win reloads are with Speer 170gn flatnose jacketed.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Trailboss wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:40 am I have an original 32 Winchester single cavity mold in 160 grain. It was manufactured 1895-1900. All this talk got me excited to pull the mold and cast up a few hundred leads. Then it's time to work up a good load. My current 32 win reloads are with Speer 170gn flatnose jacketed.
I have one of those molds too. I've never used mine. Should try it out.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

The cost of factory ammo is still pretty outrageous! $1.00 a round for ammo that was 30 cent's a little over a year ago!
I think you've got it right Trailboss. The 170 flatnose seems like the best for the 32 spl. after lot's of research on the round.

Thanks Camel 73. I'm more than happy with the purchase! It's in great shape, with better than average wood grain.
I used a little bit of Howards bee's wax and orange oil to bring out the grain. Being careful not to get any on the steel.
When I got it home it was dry as a bone! After lot's of oil though out the entire rifle, it's smooth sailing when racking the slide.
You are correct Old Savage, When target shooting in a field on a sunny day it would be needed!
Most of my shooting is in thick woods. I'm lucky to find a 50 or 60 yard clearing here.
I use to shoot at the perfect location at a huge sandpit until the county blocked it's entrance for a small plant of some kind.
I could still hike in if I feel like humping a few miles. I use to pull my truck in and shoot 300 yard's while using the hood of my truck for stability.
The last time I was there shooting my Marlin 1895 45-70 some tick off homeowner who lives nearby gave me some stuff about noise!
Sometimes it's not easy to find a location to enjoy a afternoon of shooting without going to a range.
Johnny