handloading the .30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
milboltnut
Levergunner

handloading the .30-30

Post by milboltnut »

I need to know if less than .002 neck tension is ok to shoot in a lever gun. I want to try .001.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: handloading the .30-30

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Last edited by Jay Bird on Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That is a lot of pressure rise for a .30-30.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I shoot and reload A LOT of 30-30 and have for the past twenty years. Never once have I paid attention to neck tension. This isnt a high pressure or long range cartridge. Resize properly, anneal and focus more on working up a load that shoots the best in your rifle.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I rarely use the magazine on my lever .30-30s, but any time I do the bullets are crimped with the Lee FCD.

1/2 my guns are bolt guns, but even for cast bullets (.311) I use the FCD.
Shootist

Post by JimT »

wvfarrier wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:15 am I shoot and reload A LOT of 30-30 and have for the past twenty years. Never once have I paid attention to neck tension. This isnt a high pressure or long range cartridge. Resize properly, anneal and focus more on working up a load that shoots the best in your rifle.
I beg to differ sir. I have used the 30-30 to shoot targets past 1120 yards!
It only took me 30 + shots to get a hit on the White Buffalo!
:lol:
https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/3030longrange.htm
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Funny how some posts will sit for a week unanswered until one person jumps on it and then it's party time..
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

JimT wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:23 am
wvfarrier wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:15 am I shoot and reload A LOT of 30-30 and have for the past twenty years. Never once have I paid attention to neck tension. This isnt a high pressure or long range cartridge. Resize properly, anneal and focus more on working up a load that shoots the best in your rifle.
I beg to differ sir. I have used the 30-30 to shoot targets past 1120 yards!
It only took me 30 + shots to get a hit on the White Buffalo!
:lol:
https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/3030longrange.htm
Sounds like me shooting my 1911 😬
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Having shot the Army 1100 meter target with the M60, I understand that it is not a sure thing to hit it with 7.62 NATO. The .30-30 does not have the same velocity, and it takes some skill to hit a target at that distance. Sure feels good when you do hit the 1100 meter target.

Now, has anyone else hit a 2.5 inch by 6 inch target from 3,000 meters with a T.O.W.? I did it 3 times for record, and there were a few who could do it better. Guided missiles are much easier to hit a target with than a .30-30 is. Holding the LASER designator on the 2.5 by 6 inch sensor on the 3 square meter target moving 15 kilometers per hour at 1,000 meters for 60 seconds was the minimum qualification score back in 1987-1991. This is just to use as a comparison. Different launching platforms can make longer distances easier to hit.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I need to know if less than .002 neck tension is ok to shoot in a lever gun. I want to try .001.
Why?

What's the problem you're trying to solve?

-Stretch
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

milboltnut wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:19 pmI need to know if less than .002 neck tension is ok to shoot in a lever gun. I want to try .001.
This is probably shameful of me... but... I'm going to assume you're referring to the difference between bullet diameter and the inside neck dimension? IMO, the critical difference for accuracy is between groove & bullet diameters! I only shoot .30-30s from leverguns w/tubular magazines... so, I really on proper crimp to keep from telescoping bullets in the mag under recoil.

Are you collapsing necks during the seating process with a difference of .002"? If so, chamfer the inside of your case mouths.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Griff wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:01 am
milboltnut wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:19 pmI need to know if less than .002 neck tension is ok to shoot in a lever gun. I want to try .001.
This is probably shameful of me... but... I'm going to assume you're referring to the difference between bullet diameter and the inside neck dimension? IMO, the critical difference for accuracy is between groove & bullet diameters! I only shoot .30-30s from leverguns w/tubular magazines... so, I really on proper crimp to keep from telescoping bullets in the mag under recoil.

Are you collapsing necks during the seating process with a difference of .002"? If so, chamfer the inside of your case mouths.
This!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.