Vintage Winchesters from CDNN

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Vintage Winchesters from CDNN

Post by AJMD429 »

Some of you guys probably got the email advertisement too. Supposedly the owner of CDNN is selling off a bunch of low-serial-number Winchesters.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Ke ... ster%20000
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: Vintage Winchesters from CDNN

Post by wecsoger »

Couple o' nice ones, but don't think I can find enough spare change out of the couch to cover.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I see he had a Legendary Lawmen #0. I have #25.
Yeah, I know....it ain't zero. But I paid way, way less money for it. :D

In researching, I found it to be one of the only commemoratives that is configured as it should be as to features.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

OldWin wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:21 pm I see he had a Legendary Lawmen #0. I have #25.

In researching, I found it to be one of the only commemoratives that is configured as it should be as to features.
I have one of those, unfired, way back in the back of the safe. Don't know the # off hand. Got the box, too.

I have one of the Antlered Game's also, but mine is a shooter, shoots good, too. One of my favorite post 64's
NRA Life Member, Patron
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Lastmohecken wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:49 pm
OldWin wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:21 pm I see he had a Legendary Lawmen #0. I have #25.

I have one of those, unfired, way back in the back of the safe. Don't know the # off hand. Got the box, too.

I have one of the Antlered Game's also, but mine is a shooter, shoots good, too. One of my favorite post 64's
Well I tell ya....
Mine was NIB with all the papers when I found it. I was looking for a standard factory trapper in 30-30 of that vintage. All the ones I found were more money than this unfired LL. I bought it, brought it home, and promptly shot it. It shoots wonderfully, and the quality and fit is quite good. I kept the box and paperwork. I only have 2 post 64s. All my Winchesters are old.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I don't mind the post 64 if it's the forged steel models.
I don't like the push button safety's at all. Winchesters or Marlins!
Even the tang safety shouldn't be there.
I see some of those commemoratives go for around a grand from time to time.
Johnny
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

OldWin wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:18 pm
Lastmohecken wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:49 pm

Well I tell ya....
Mine was NIB with all the papers when I found it. I was looking for a standard factory trapper in 30-30 of that vintage. All the ones I found were more money than this unfired LL. I bought it, brought it home, and promptly shot it. It shoots wonderfully, and the quality and fit is quite good. I kept the box and paperwork. I only have 2 post 64s. All my Winchesters are old.
Yep, in the past, I have found that you can often pickup one of the commemorative's for about the same price as a plain one, unless the commemorative is in new unfired condition with the box. I have a Buffalo Bill shooter, I bought that way. And lots of them are good shooters.
NRA Life Member, Patron
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That was the strange thing, my Legendary Lawmen was NIB. I saw it on the Guns International site for considerably less than the standards that were well used. The add mentioned nothing of the serial number. A Cabelas in Nebraska had it, so I had it shipped free to one near me. Then I went and looked at it before buying. When I got there the guy in the gun library asked, "did you know about the serial number in this?" I said no. He showed me and I was quite surprised. He asked what I was going to do with it. I told him I would shoot it if it wasn't too late when I got home. :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Back around the mid 1980's i bought a Legendary Frontiersman in .38-55, NIB, with all the papers, receipt, and of course unfired. I got it for $450, and thought I'd stash it away and watch it grow in value. Too funny. The gun never seemed to grow in value, and actually went down in value from my purchase price. I eventually was able to trade it for a Marlin 1893 Deluxe in the same caliber, and was thrilled to get rid of it, and not lose money.
I never bought another commemorative of any kind since.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:44 am Back around the mid 1980's i bought a Legendary Frontiersman in .38-55, NIB, with all the papers, receipt, and of course unfired. I got it for $450, and thought I'd stash it away and watch it grow in value. Too funny. The gun never seemed to grow in value, and actually went down in value from my purchase price. I eventually was able to trade it for a Marlin 1893 Deluxe in the same caliber, and was thrilled to get rid of it, and not lose money.
I never had any interest in them either, for the reason you mentioned. They do seem to have gone up in the last couple years, but boy, it sure has taken a long time.
The one I have is the only one I ever bought. I couldn't care less about its value. It was the cheapest option in what I was looking for. I had heard they were good shooters from a couple sources on this board. They were right!
You definitely made a good trade. I've had a few old Marlins, but a good 93 always evaded me.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

When I read your topic first time I should of had mt cheaters on.Looked like you guys were talking Mod 64 Winchesters not post or pre m64's. I inherted 2 pre 1964's one a mod 64 in .32 win spcl with a period correct Redfield peep and the othe a mod 70 feather weight in .270 win cal. Never handloaded for the model 64 as I was able to pick up back in 2003 6 boxes of rem ammo at 2.00 a box at an old hardware store sale. tried several brands and the all shot less than 3" group fron standing like you would be deer hunting. tHE .270 SEEM TO LIKE 130 GR SILVERTIPS AND 52 OR 54 GRS OF WIN 760 WITH A WINMAG PRIMER.CASES WERE FULL LENGTH SIZED AND TRIMMED AND BULLETS SEATED CENTER OF CRIMP GROVE THE CRIMPED WITH lEE GFACTIRY CRIMP DIE.oN NA CALM DAY DIME SIZE GROUPDS WERE THE NORM.rIFLE WEARS A wEAVER 3 TO 9 SCOPE NORNALLY SET AT 3OR 5 NEVER HIGHER.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

A fellow forum member sold me a Legendary Lawman several years ago, but mine is upwards of 14,000 in the production run! Also a great shooter. I have a Canadian Centennial that was converted to a trapper that's my truck gun... kinda fancy for what I use it for, has XX-Fancy wood and nickel barrel bands and carbine buttplate. Also in the safe is the 20" version of the 66 Centennial, which now wears Lyman peep and globe sights. Well... it will be back in the safe when I get finished unloading the guns I took with me to the 40th Anniversary of the End of Trail Cowboy International Championships! I didn't even shoot 2/3s of the guns I took. The one side match I shot had almost triple the number of entrants as signed up before it started! I did finish 3rd, using my 1851 Navies, a TTN Hammered double coach gun and my 20" 1885 in 45 Colt! It took so long that I wasn't able to enter any of the other side matches. I usually enter the long range, both rifle and pistol caliber categories, and speed shotgun!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I wondered when old Griff would show up!?
He is mostly responsible for me ending up with that Legendary Lawmen. He posted some pics of his and it got me to thinking...........
Thanks buddy! :D
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I always wanted a Legendary Lawman but never seemed to find one I could afford. I'll keep looking though!
But I have a question....I thought the LL was first made on 1977. How is ser# 000 made in 1978...or am I missing something?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You are correct. The LL was made in 1977.
I don't think that info is accurate.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I sent a message and got this back....

"The letter from Winchester says 1978, that is what we are going by."

Scott
CDNN Sports, Inc.

Oh well....not like I have a chance for it!😄
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:44 am Back around the mid 1980's i bought a Legendary Frontiersman in .38-55, NIB, with all the papers, receipt, and of course unfired. I got it for $450, and thought I'd stash it away and watch it grow in value. Too funny. The gun never seemed to grow in value, and actually went down in value from my purchase price. I eventually was able to trade it for a Marlin 1893 Deluxe in the same caliber, and was thrilled to get rid of it, and not lose money.
IMHO, they have never been good investments, although you might make money in a trade if you get it bought cheap enough, but you better make your money going in, not holding for the long run. I have owned a few of them just because I wanted them but most were already shooters and not in the box unfired. My Legendary Lawman is unfired, but I bought it for only $300 several years ago, from a friend who was claiming bankruptcy. But at that time, they really weren't worth much more then a standard post 64. That's why, I am very likely to shoot it one of these days, because it's a great Trapper Configuration, and what good does it serve just standing in the safe for another 20 years?
NRA Life Member, Patron
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

If I could even afford #000, I'd shoot the heck out of it. I just wanted one because I was a LEO for 30 years and the Legendary Lawman would've been cool. I like some of the commemoratives, John Wayne, Wyoming, Cowboy....
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

They are best when shot and hunted with. Otherwise it's a waste that is being saved for someone else.
Some of them are kind of neat. There is a Canadian Pacific R.R that is a 24" with 2/3 mag and crescent butt in 32W.S. always thought that would be a good one. I ha e an original from 1905 or so that is one of my favorite rifles.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Are most of these Miroku guns from that era? I was always curious if the Winchester Miroku's have the metric threads that the Browning's do. So parts are no interchangeable with original Winchesters.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I remember when the commemorative's were cheaper than standard model 94'
I do like the Legendary Lawman and the 66 Centennial models.
When I first heard of the 66 Centennial model I thought Winchester made up 66 receivers!
Then I saw one at a show and realized it was a standard model 94 receiver.
I think that some of the barrel lengths and calibers are hard to beat!
Where else will you find something in 38-55 or 26 inch barrels.
I know Marlin has some rifle like that. I do enjoy my JM Marlin 1895 in 45-70.
If I found a commemorative in the configuration's and caliber I wanted, I would buy it!
The one that I would like is the 1974 made Texas Ranger model.4,800 made.
It looks like a old standard 94 with a Texas Ranger badge added to the lower stock.
I'm not to crazy about all the bling and shiny finishes. I heard of barbecue pistol, not barbecue rifles!
I do have a Mexican friend who like any firearm that sparkles and shine's! You need to put on a good pair of shades to look at his collection!
I tell him he's like a stripped bass, he's going to bite it if it reflex's in the sun!
Enjoy your lever action gentleman!
Johnny
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

That LL Winchester went for over $7000 on GB!