My Facvorite Rossi

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

My Facvorite Rossi

Post by JimT »

I have had several Rossi leverguns over the years, all in .357 Magnum. My favorite one was the Rossi I worked over and put some time on. It ran smooth and functioned well with .38 Specials or .357 Magnums.

I described what I did to the gun in this article ... https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/rossi.htm

It was pretty accurate ... these with 38 Special loads ..
targets.JPG
The gun is still running well after nearly 20 years of constant use. It is now owned by my good friend Scott Tschirhart.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: My Facvorite Rossi

Post by Blaine »

Nice! :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

May 24th fools day! :D
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon May 24, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

JimT, you are apparently I responsible for 006 flipping full tilt. :shock: :shock: :?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

JimT, you are apparently I responsible for 006 flipping full tilt. :shock: :shock: :?

BTW, I have a Swiss watch. It Is currently 4 min. fast, don't believe the hype.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Yes Jim they are fine rifles...just not acceptable around the snobs .sure they may need some fitting and finish work . the average shooter don't care as We get to know good old Steve. Some of the members here no doubt go to the store to stock up on depends as they fill their pants at the mention of the name...ROSSI. :lol:
the RRH is always lurking don't talk about them............................................................
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'll bet Sixer is one of them 'underground-bunker' types, like in the Terminator movie, only when you peel back the cover and step in, you're in a room FULL of Rossis.... :shock: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Old Savage wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:37 pm JimT, you are apparently I responsible for 006 flipping full tilt. :shock: :shock: :?

Yup, Rolex's are the same. Way over priced for what they are. This from customers who owned one. We now return to our normal scheduled programming. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

The .357 is a great rifle cartridge.

Six,

I didn't get to read what you originally posted and I still know you're a naughty boy!

Cat
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jim, I read your article (probably read it again might be more accurate to say). I originally was deciding what to buy in my first rifle back 18 years ago at a guess. I had read Paco's article on his 454 Puma on Gunblast. I was torn between the Puma 454 and a Ruger #1. I contacted Paco somehow and asked if he would float the barrel on it but he did not gunsmith for the general public and he referred me to McPherson telling me that "what he does is different but I trust him". So I did contact McPherson, ordered up a Rossi Puma in 454 and sent it off. I had all the same experiences you report in your article for the most part. At the time I was a member of the 454 Casull Forum owned by 2GunTom. We apparently found someone to machine an aluminum mag follower for us. Anyhow, that part and the entire rifle was sent to McPherson and he had to completely re-engineer the thing by hand. The barrel and wood was OK (the latter after stripping and refinishing). The springs and action had to be re-tuned including loading gate functioning. One of the neater things McPherson did was to lengthen the action by 10%. That may not sound like much, but it allowed me to use a whole plethora of exotic bullets in this gun as well as getting more power out of it. The locking lugs were so out of true that it was causing the lever to bend. I see in your article that it looks like the right lug of your gun was improperly cut and fitted. McPherson fixed all of these things for me on mine, but it took 2 attempts to get it there. He would never work on another one again after that.

That being said, it is an extraordinary rifle since that time many, many years ago. What do you say about 9 rounds of 45-70 power in a buttery smooth NP3 plated internal action rifle with more bells and whistles on it than I can even describe?

Rossi's are serviceable, but not in the 454 Casull or even 480 Ruger (although they sell for 2K now on Gunbroker if you can believe it). I think in more common cartridges they are just fine.

Mine sort of defines me and my relationships and the things that came out of this project years ago. The other gun I have that might do the same is my stock 1888 71/84 Mauser at extreme long range (OK, we did slightly tweak the trigger some and a custom smokeless load and eventually custom bullet but the gun had all the parameters to make it work even 125 years ago.)

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

In spit of "needing" one, I've never managed to grab a Rossi .357. I do have a .44 mag, picked up 20 years back that has required a good amount of cursing and massaging to get it to a state of "pretty okay".

A buddy of mine had a 357 about 30 years ago, and shooting that was my first clue that 357 from a rifle (or carbine) was a whole different animal than from a revolver.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Catshooter wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:08 pm The .357 is a great rifle cartridge.

Six,

I didn't get to read what you originally posted and I still know you're a naughty boy!

Cat
Hey Cat! Ahhh...wasn't much..........just some "heads up" for people who want to get into the game but don't know enough to stay away from Rosunks......I'm kinda like the Ralph Nader of guns........I tell ya brother, it ain't easy. :D ----double O Six

mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Nice gun JimT.
my only current centrefires are a pair of 20" 357 rossi 1892's.I handled them in store to make sure they would feed a variety of 38 special and 357 dummy rounds. One needed more work than the other to smooth up. I owned a 24" barrel rossi previously. With the small 357 hole in that nontapered octagonal barrel it was end heavy and not great for carry. Of the various 1892 variants, Rossi has the most chance of feeding 38 specials. Thats worth something to me.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

CowboyTutt wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:46 pm
Old Savage wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:37 pm JimT, you are apparently I responsible for 006 flipping full tilt. :shock: :shock: :?

Yup, Rolex's are the same. Way over priced for what they are. This from customers who owned one. We now return to our normal scheduled programming. -Tutt
yep, I agree. like putting a cadillac badge on a chevy pickup. A few extra amenities and 20,000 bucks more
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Rob Leahy had that rifle before I did and he used it quite a bit in Alaska. I was on a motorcycle trip to either the Pacific coast or Las Vegas, and I dropped by. I traded Rob out of that rifle and strapped it to my Harley to bring it back to Texas. I remember riding in the dark and in a heavy rain from Junction Texas back to San Antonio. The rifle and I were both soaked.....but with a little care, we were none the worse for wear.

It is as slick as it was when I first ran that gun at the Shootist Holiday in (I believe) 2005. Rene Brost has a rather unflattering photograph of Jim and me from that Holiday on our hands and knees recovering spilled .38 cast bullets outside the Competitor's Housing. Let's just say that it was not my best side.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Between myself and the eight or so people I associate with who own Rossi's, we've had "about average" experience with them as far as compared to Remingtons, Winchesters, Rugers, and so on. Most work ok but need a bit of 'smoothing', and there will be an occasional clunker. That's probably out of about forty or fifty Rossi leverguns between all of us. I've posted on one that I had to send back for warranty work, but they returned it fairly promptly if I recall, and it has functioned fine since then.

Now I think of leverguns (or guns in general, really) as two distinct types - 'tools' and 'cool guns'. In the 'tools' category for instance is the little 16" 357 Rossi that is kept 'handy' for whatever need may arise not requiring the deafening roar of the AR to be employed. It has dings, stains, scratches, and creosote on it, and the only embellishment is the Marbles 'Bullseye' rear sight and the bolt-safety delete. I would NOT subject a 'cool gun' to the treatment and storage place that Rossi suffers, so am glad to have it. In the 'cool guns' category for instance would be my 375 Winchester Big Bore - one of the prettiest guns I have, and a 'classic'. I would (plan to) hunt with it, and of course then it will get 'wear and tear' then, but that somehow seems different than sitting it in the corner of the furnace-room under a disguising towel or shirt.

Not all Winchesters are 'cool' nor are all Rossi's 'tools' - I have a beautifully finished Rossi with brass receiver, deep-blued barrel, and burled-wood stock, and I have a WInchester bolt action that is in terrible shape and was Bubba-Smithed by someone to the point that I wasn't sure it would even fire a cartridge, but it does.

"All Guns Matter..." :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The carbine I had many years ago oddly preferred a fairly hot 110-grain .357 handload over all others. Good little leverguns.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I just knew this post would be a favorite of Sixgun's! :lol:

-Stretch
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I've only had two Rossi's a 28 gauge single shot that was the ugliest shotgun I ever had but it was a first class game getter, the other Rossi was a stainless steel .357 carbine, it liked .38 SPL and .357 MAG equally, the only thing I didn't like about it was whoever put the gun together chose wood from two different forests for the stock and forearm... :( to me that meant that Rossi didn't care too much on overall finish but I was lucky mechanically it worked fine.
I've had four Winchester leveractions and yes they were better finished and smoother but you can't always get a Winchester in the configuration you want and at a price you can afford.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What Winchesters did you have. Never had one smoother than a Rossi.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:38 pm What Winchesters did you have. Never had one smoother than a Rossi.
I agree! My Rossi is as smooth as glass......mine is in 38-40......in fact, I like my Rossi so much I had it engraved just like Winchester used to do it over a hundred years ago.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ha! Fresh off the Internet......

In the franchise known as Starsky & Hutch while David Starsky uses his trusty Colt M1911A1 pistol, Ken Hutchinson uses the Colt Python revolver as his primary weapon of choice.
Appearance(s): Starsky & Hutch TV Series; Starsky & Hutch Videogame; Starsky & H...
Weapon type: Double-Action Revolver
Caliber: .357 Magnum

S&W Model 10, 4
I know that Buddy Ebson on Barnaby Jones carried a S&W Model 10, 4".Apr 21, 2013
https://www.24hourcampfire.com › ...

The U.S. Army's sidearm of choice from 1873 to 1892, the Colt. 45 single action Army revolver, found new fans when Marshal Matt Dillon, played by James Arness, wielded one on the CBS Gunsmoke series that ran for 20 seasons from 1955 to 1975.Mar 18, 2014
Network: CBS

1892 Winchester
The rifle used on the set of The Rifleman, an 1892 Winchester caliber . 44-40 carbine with a standard 20-inch barrel, appeared with two different types of lever. The backwards, round-D-style loop was used in the early episodes. Sometimes, the rifle McCain uses has a saddle ring.

(From Wikipedia)
Saturday night special is a colloquial term in the United States and Canada for inexpensive, compact, small-caliber handguns[1] made of poor quality metal.[2] Some states define these junk guns by means of composition or material strength. In the late 19th century and early 20th century, they were commonly referred to as suicide specials. Today junk guns are manufactured in South America by Rossi and Bersa and also in Italy by Uberti.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old Savage wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:38 pm What Winchesters did you have. Never had one smoother than a Rossi.
I have had two 9422Ms and a post 64 Winchester 94 Antique model 30/30 and I still have my early model 9422 in .22LR. all my other Leveractions were made in Italy, Brasil and Germany except for a Marlin Mountie made in 1960 that was certainly not my favourite. I have used different Rossi's at the range some were very smooth, the newer one's not so much.
P5180007.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:37 am Rob Leahy had that rifle before I did and he used it quite a bit in Alaska. I was on a motorcycle trip to either the Pacific coast or Las Vegas, and I dropped by. I traded Rob out of that rifle and strapped it to my Harley to bring it back to Texas. I remember riding in the dark and in a heavy rain from Junction Texas back to San Antonio. The rifle and I were both soaked.....but with a little care, we were none the worse for wear.
I dont know why but that blurb really appealed to me, reads like something out of Stephen King novel. Can you put a year on it scott?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I will have to say my 94-22 is very smooth.

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

mickbr wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:11 am I dont know why but that blurb really appealed to me, reads like something out of Stephen King novel. Can you put a year on it scott?
I think so, let's see I have some photos from that bike trip that place the visit in early November 2016. So that was when I brought the rifle home.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've had three different Marlin 39 variants....After I got my 9422 and 9422M I sadly sent the 39s down the road. The 39s might have been a hair more accurate, but, the Winchesters operated flawlessly with never a jam, and ever so smooth.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV