50 BMG Rifle Blowup

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

50 BMG Rifle Blowup

Post by JimT »

elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 50 BMG Rifle Blowup

Post by elmo123 »

I had a Steven 311 12 gauge blow up when I was 16 years old. A piece of the barrel/chamber went through my left forearm and exited at the wrist. I almost bled to death. This fellow was very lucky.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I've been following Scott for at least a year now. While I grew tired of his ballistics tests and signed off, I would also tell you I find him to be a very good man, and one who has personally answered my posts to his comparisons, and he has always been willing to re-address his tests with un-equal barrel lengths. He's a very kind man, and someone I would gratefully call a friend. He's also one of the few of us who owns a 460 Emergency Survival Kit and handgun with its 3 3/4 inch barrel. Now very illegal in Commiefornia! Glad he survived and VERY grateful he is still with us!!!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

He sure put things into perspective, glad he is healing quick and didnt lose his humor and gleem in his eye.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I like everything old...guns, cars, machinery .....but........I LOVE modern medical technology.

Amazing he had the foresight to stick his thumb in there.

Personally I think the gun looks like cheap junk......I wouldn't be trusting of a screw on cap to contain such high pressures but I'm no engineer......---006
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I looked up that SLAP round and sure enough I have one in my immense collection. :D

It's in the middle in between an incendiary and a tracer round. It's a sabot round made at Twin Cities Arsenal in 1945. I never thought they had that stuff back then......dunno...maybe it's coded to be "54".
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun May 02, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Wow! He was being looked after. Most people would have died.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Saw this earlier this morning. Got me to wondering what the thread pitch and shape is on that Serbu breech cap.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Also saw this video earlier this morning, and was both amazed and shocked. Guy has a guardian angel for sure!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Threads can be really strong, but when he said the working pressure was 50,000 or so and the pressure required to shear the threads was 85,000 or so, my first thought was “...I would want a much bigger margin for error...:|

I wonder how he will overcome flinching now....that has to be a huge hurdle after a KaBoom... :shock:

Of course here’s a physics question...

Say the cartridge generated 150,000 psi, and the gun yielded at 85,000 psi.....is he better off than if the gun would have been stronger and yielded at 100,000 psi...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:37 am Say the cartridge generated 150,000 psi, and the gun yielded at 85,000 psi.....is he better off than if the gun would have been stronger and yielded at 100,000 psi...?
I know of a BMG bolt action rifle that fired a round that was way over pressure. The cartridge head was vaporized. Pressures had to be in excess of 120,000 psi. It set the headspace back. The lugs were re-cut and the locking lug buttresses and the gun is still in service. No injuries to anyone. Made of 4140 aircraft steel.

As far as the cap on the gun that blew, I was told that all else being equal, to gain the full strength of attachment with material of equal strength in both parts, the thread engagement length must be at least 1½ times the bolt diameter.

That said, I know nothing about 50 BMG rifles, having never handled one. What I relate about them is what has been expressed to me by people I trust. My experience with the 50 BMG is limited to serving on an M2 Browning crew in the 1960's.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Wow! That was scary to watch. Those scars are brutal and he is fortunate to be alive.

I know that we (U.S. Government) seeded some severely overpressure cartridges in SE Asia as part of an effort to disable enemy guns. I wonder if other folks didn't do the same thing?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I looked at the video again and stopped it when he was showing the balsa wood receiver....if you can call it a "receiver"........I enlarged the roll stamp and there it was, in plain print......ROSSI

Doc picked it out also.....I previously said it looked like cheap junk...and it is with a smaller than comfortable margin of error. As far as I'm concerned it's one of those "here! hold my beer and watch this" moments.

But I do commend the shooter....he's got big ones to stick his thumb in that hole and live to talk about it.....but....anyone with a brain can see it's all self promoting as 90% of the video was about him and near nothing on the gun.
Model A Uzi’s
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Sixgun wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:09 pm anyone with a brain can see it's all self promoting as 90% of the video was about him and near nothing on the gun.
I think that was the point! It sure was not to sell that particular gun.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Tough kid! Good to hear he'll be ok.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Isn't the Brazilian word for Colt spelled Rossi?
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

piller wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:48 pm Isn't the Brazilian word for Colt spelled Rossi?
No.....the English word for "Rossi" is "Junk"....they come to this country marked wrong-----6
Model A Uzi’s
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

That was too funny Six! My Rossi Puma in 454 needed a lot of work to get it right, but it functions quite well now. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, whatl would a true Sicilian know about an English word. BTW I have been named consigliere for a Sicilian family in A Mer I Ca that is famous in It A Ly , Sicily to be specific. Tutt should never comment on joyriding (hotrodding) guns. He is not to be believed. I have tried to help him.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Tutt,
With all due respect it was not meant to be funny, it was meant to be educational for people who either don't have the expertise to final finish themselves or have some one do it for them.

Who, really WHO would put their face up to something like this and I don't care what the engineers say. It's not like a load of bread or a pack of BIC pens that you can take back for a refund if there's a problem. This is the "Saturday Night Special" of 50 BMG's. If an individual has $1300 to spend on a big 50 he has $2300 to buy something safe with a larger margin of error.

I think I'm going to become the Ralph Nader of guns....eliminate cheap junk that gives the quality manufacturers a bad name.
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun May 02, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:46 pm Six, what the hell would you know about an English word. BTW I have been named consigliere for a Sicilian family in A Mer I Ca that is famous in It A Ly , Sicily to be specific. Tutt should never comment on joyriding (hotrodding) guns. He is not to be believed. I have tried to help him.
Old Savage, what are you even talking about? My loads are from published manuals. My original 45 Colt + P loads I gave you years ago using what you called "Super Tutt" loads were directly from the Hodgdon manual then and are still there now in the 2021 edition using the same 360 grain bullet loads in the 2021 manual. The 45 Long Colt + P rounds start on page 165 of the Hodgdon 2021 annual.

You have lost your mind.

-Tutt

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Tutt,
My dear freundin Old Savage has not lost his mind, just 20% of it in the soft stuff. I think Gavin Newsome is putting something in the air....seems like once sensible people are being brainwashed to the left.

Life is harder here in the east...you have to stay on your toes or you is gonna get bushwhacked.

The year was 1971....Mr Pinca, my German teacher walked in the boys room while I was having a square...(cigarette)....He says to me, "My fine freundin, YOU are outta here for 3 days." The record still stands I'm told....first day of school in September and I was suspended.
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Are we having fun yet. Two lovely girls ..
Kelsey and her blonde friend reminded me never had not yet played together.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tutt who even said we were talking about that?

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have to admit that I would not feel comfortable shooting that rifle. Now a Barrett? I would love to shoot one!
D. Brian Casady
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, Tutt took the bait, called me up. We had another interesting talk as always. ;-)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have spoken to Tutt once. Very nice man!
D. Brian Casady
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

While running our range, I've seen several 50 cals. Most are Barretts or Bushmaster. A guy showed up with a 50 cal. It was about half the size of a Bushmaster. I can't recall the brand. He said it was his second one. The first one cracked a weld between the barrel and receiver after his first shot!! This was his free replacement! I made him wait until I went 10 benches over and behind a block wall. He and his buddy shot about 20 rounds through it. They completely twisted up a regular Harris bipod but the rifle functioned. Their shoulders were hurting and beat up because the rifle was so light. He came back this year with a Barrett. That one was sweet. It has the recoil driven barrel that moves in and out like artillery! I got to shoot a few rounds. Takes almost all recoil out and very fun to shoot.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have shot a Barrett once, and a McMillan twice. I don't get the attraction of the .50 BMG.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It's big

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I have a hankering for a 416 Barrett anymore, but will most likely stop my custom collection with a 416/284 McPerson on a Model '88 Winchester which is already in the works. Its being built for me by Aria Ballistic Engineering and the owner is doing the work himself instead of his staff. Should be a hoot! I was going to watch Scott's video again, but decided it was too painful to watch a second time. In hindsight, I think the rifle was starting to weaken on the earlier shot(s) and the last one just did it in (and almost did Scott in too). -Tutt

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

If I need a bigger gun, I think I would stop at the .338 Lapua.

I had a Barrett, and it was fun, but it really served no purpose in my hands.

I do still shoot a .50......but it is a .50-70 Shiloh and I don't think I could blow it up unless I used a case full of bullseye!
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Tue May 04, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

That would be reasonable for sure! I already have a CZ 550 in 375 H & H Ackley with a lengthened chamber that shoots a 350 grain BTHP Matchking at just under 2500 fps and I think with Reloader 26, I can can get it closer to 2600 fps according to Quickload. Its on my "to do" list to try it. McPherson got to shoot this rifle over Easter Break, it shoots where you aim it. Recoil is about 50 lbs plus change but more a slow shove than a sharp snap due to the slower powders used and powder column length I think. The 8 ounce merc tube and premium recoil pad help a lot. No muzzle break. I only shoot it off hand or on my new tri pod set-up. Honestly, I think the 300 Win Mag is more punishing in recoil as its much faster and sharper because of the faster mid-range powders used.

I have no need for a 416 Barrett, but some ultra long range shooting with it would be desirable if in Utah or CO. Problem is right now is not the time as components are not available. Thankfully, I bought the 284 Norma cases and stuff for the 416/284 McPherson long ago. Still looking at buying more bullets when I can for it.

Scott at Kentucky Ballistics got really unlucky, and lucky at the same time. I'm glad he is OK, he's a very nice young man and talented shooter. It sure helps you put things into perspective though, doesn't it?????

Scott T., its always a pleasure to hear from you.

-Tutt

4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

I stop at 45/70,no need to go to bigger. Heard a guy shoot a handgun at the range, 50' from me, what a noise. I just had to find out, turned out he was shooting a DESERT EAGLE 50AE, he asked if I wanted to try it, nope not into pain. He used his for bowling pin shoots, in which is a timed event, pins must clear the table,said if you hit it with this ,IT WILL CLEAR THE TABLE.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have shot a Desert Eagle in .50AE at a range off of Mockingbird Lane in Dallas. Not any worse than my Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger.
D. Brian Casady
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Pillar, I was about to say the same. The blow back design of the DE reduces recoil a lot. I recently shot my best friends FA in 50 WE using both a subdued load with a 440 grain bullet at about 900-1000 fps, and the max load at about 1400 fps with the same bullet. With the latter, first time in my life I felt the recoil go up my arm into my elbow even. The FA grip frame made it controllable in just a couple of shots however. Bullet weight matters!!!! -Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I think what happened to Scott from K.B. was a combination of a "Saturday Night Special BMG" and some bad mystery ammo. -Tutt

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

So that particular 50 BMG works about the same as a pipe bomb ... screw on cap. Hard pass.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:01 pm So that particular 50 BMG works about the same as a pipe bomb ... screw on cap. Hard pass.
that was pretty much my impression too. now i'm wondering what an AR15 looks like after it blows up.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:01 pm So that particular 50 BMG works about the same as a pipe bomb ... screw on cap. Hard pass.
Most succinct description I have read yet....-Tutt

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like the design of the Barrett rifles. They look strong. This one in the video does not.
D. Brian Casady
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

CowboyTutt wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:52 pm Scott at Kentucky Ballistics got really unlucky, and lucky at the same time. I'm glad he is OK, he's a very nice young man and talented shooter. It sure helps you put things into perspective though, doesn't it?????

Scott T., its always a pleasure to hear from you.

-Tutt
That was terrifying to watch and see the aftermath.

Same here my friend.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have to give him a ton of credit for jamming his thumb in the artery and for refusing to allow himself to pass out. I seriously doubt if many people could have done that.
D. Brian Casady
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

piller wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:55 pm I have to give him a ton of credit for jamming his thumb in the artery and for refusing to allow himself to pass out. I seriously doubt if many people could have done that.
I did that one night in Houston. Jammed two fingers into two holes in my right leg to keep from bleeding out. It obviously worked.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sure took the fun out of that night, didn't it?
D. Brian Casady
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I received more information from McPherson that I think I can share. It turns out there is no industry standard on the 50 BMG according to SAAMI, it has never been standardized as a sporting cartridge. Mic said CIP (Commission Internationale Permanente and European equivalent of SAAMI) has the proof load pressure listed as about 72,000 psi which is MAP plus 15% and requires more than one shot. Proof pressure under SAAMI is usually MAP plus 30% and requires only one shot.

Furthermore proof testing is not required on any gun not manufactured by a SAAMI member (Yikes).

Mic also reported to me that Jim Schmidt of Arizona Ammunition is the biggest producer of 50 BMG ammunition for target, sniper, and related applications. Schmidt will not touch unknown ammo of any kind and strongly cautions shooters against firing any unknown ammo in any 50 BMG. He refers to so-called surplus military ammo as "experimental" ammo, with the connotation being that anyone shooting any such ammo is "experimenting" with their life. Who knows what it actually is? He has had people sell unknown ammo packed in his own boxes.

We probably will never know what happened here because of conflicts of interests of all the parties involved, but it is certainly a cautionary tale about rifles and ammo. If your going to set a grenade off next to your head, you wan't to be sure your equipment and ammo is strong and safe as possible. -Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Thu May 06, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

CowboyTutt wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:45 pm”....If your going to set a grenade off next to your head, you wan't to be sure your equipment and ammo is strong and safe as possible....”
That’s for SURE....!!! :shock:

That’s one reason I spent big bucks on the BHA-89 vs just loading up my Marlin Guide Gun...
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu May 06, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Good insight. Thanks for sharing.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

piller wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:50 pm Sure took the fun out of that night, didn't it?
Yeah, I was all out of fun that night. Got to meet Dr. Red Duke though as he worked on me. I had better luck than President Kennedy.

Left some pretty nasty scars but we all have them.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'm going to remember the 'finger thrust" technique for future use guys. Thanks, hope I never need it though. -Tutt