Browning 1886 sporting rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Browning 1886 sporting rifle

Post by barbarossa »

I just took delivery of a browning 1886 sporting rifle today and I’m more than pleased.It is in as new condition with a few minor safe rubs to the stock with the metal being 100%,I doubt if it has had more than a box put through it.

I had been looking recently for a new deer rifle and had decided on two possible choices one being one of the new Uberti 1894 sporting rifles in 30/30 and the other a Pedersoli officers trapdoor.I had eliminated the Pedersoli as here in Canada it costs $3400 which I think is way too much for what you get.So I decided on the Uberti and even went so far as to buy a few boxes of ammo for it.In fact I went online to order the Uberti when I noticed an add for the Browning 86 and the rest is history.The best part is that the Browning was cheaper than the Uberti and like I said it is in near new condition.The 86 is going to be my go to Deer rifle this year
Scoobey1985
Levergunner

Re: Browning 1886 sporting rifle

Post by Scoobey1985 »

I’ve found a model 1899 38-55
In my attic awhile back
Does anyone have any idea how much it’s worth
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Congratulation's on a fine Browning :D rifle!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

JOG wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:50 pm Congratulation's on a fine Browning :D rifle!
A good find.... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Scoobey1985 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:18 pm I’ve found a model 1899 38-55
In my attic awhile back
Does anyone have any idea how much it’s worth
That's a very general question, with no accurate answer possible. Worth depends on a number of factors, mainly condition. If it was in the attic and you found it as you were cleaning up after that massive roof leak and it's covered in rust and the wood's dry rotted, it's not worth much at all. If it's new in the box, still covered in factory oils and the box is pristine then it's worth quite a bit. Those are the two extremes, but pictures would help a lot. I'd suggest you take some pics and start a new thread with attached pictures. I'm sure folks could help you sort it out fairly well that way.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

You are going to love that Browning rifle so much that you'll have to get a Browning SRC to keep it company!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I wish I still had a Browning 86 SRC. I really love that gun, but I never seemed to hold onto one back when they were readily available.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I know what you mean I be had three of the carbines over the years two high grades and a standard and they all ended up getting traded off but this rifle version is different it s here to stay
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Well done on finding the rifle - those Brownings are very desirable copies of the originals.

I had a 1886 SRC that I bought new in 93 when I lived in the UK and regretted selling it. A few years ago I came across another and bought it. I fitted this one with a buttstock from a Win EL model. Surprisingly, it wasn’t a drop in fit and had to be modified to fit, but the shotgun butt is so much more comfortable to use.