Uberti.44 Magnum SAA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Uberti.44 Magnum SAA

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’ve been a fan of Skeeter’s load in the .44 Special for many years. Once upon a time we had USFA make some SAA copies for the Shootists. That gun, slightly modified is one of my favorites. I wore it at our wedding (elephant ivory grips seemed appropriate).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Uberti.44 Magnum SAA

But because of the ivory I don’t carry this gun as much as I would like.

Last year I picked up a Uberti SAA chambered in .44 Magnum. It’s a slick gun and has the 1860 Army grip frame on it which feels so much better in my hand than a standard SAA grip frame.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I have about a thousand rounds through this gun now and I think it is a much better .44 Special than a .44 Magnum. The bore has become so slick and polished that it doesn’t lead even with loads that should lead. I filed down the front sight with a bastard mill file till the Skeeter load of a 255 grain Keith bullet over 7.5 gr of Unique hits dead square on at 25 yards.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Not pretty but really useful. It outshoots any other .44 Special or Magnum that I own. (These were shot on different days and at a bit over 25 yards offhand).
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Now I have a sixgun that cost me about $300 (used with a holster). I don't mind carrying it anywhere becaue I don't particularly care if I get some wear on it.

It has been 100 percent reliable, it outshoots my Rugers, Smiths and USFAs.

It isn't really authentic, but I like it. Just sharing an update.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Lovely pistola, Scott. Pretty is as pretty does. She's beautiful.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Nice shooting and a good looking USFA! The brother in law picked up the Uberti "Callahan" 44 mag when it first came out. Very nice sixgun and shoots as well as yours. He also treats it as a stout 44 special although he loads everything mag brass.

Eric
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

I have the earlier Uberti 44 Mag Buckhorn with a 44-40 cylinder. Here is a video shooting HV loads at 100 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s771FOfv0l8
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:40 pm Not pretty but really useful. It outshoots any other .44 Special or Magnum that I own. (These were shot on different days and at a bit over 25 yards offhand).
Hunting nopalitas for breakfast like that sounds fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I've got about 100 acres of prickly pear and brush and I am happy to share. These are the best dang targets out there.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Another great.44 Special
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Scott the pear cactus at my place has had an 80% die off so far from drought, the other 187 species of cacti are fine. I must say I admire the manner in which you have armed your horse.