CMP M1 Garands

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

CMP M1 Garands

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Not sure how many might be interested, but I have been sitting on the waiting list for an M1 Garand since early JAN 21. They do have some Service Grades and Field Grades that are still available. Seeing the current trend in our political atmosphere, this could potentially be your last opportunity to own one of these. The prices might seem high, but M1 Garands are selling for $1200 to $1800 on Gunbroker. I should be receiving my M1 Garand within the next month or so. I will post a pic once it arrives.

https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/m1-garand/

https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/m1-garand/
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: CMP M1 Garands

Post by AJMD429 »

I got one years ago and it was the cheapest grade and muzzle must have been 8mm or so, so I got it rebarreled with a match grade barrel in 308. I made the mistake of not refinishing the stock and the guy who rebarreled it for me (plus NM sights) glass-bedded it, and told me I dast-not redo the stock then, lest I mess up the accuracy; I’m sure with decent ammo it is a sub-MOA gun - that’s what he turned out of his workshop regularly.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I wanted a SHOOTER so I ordered the SA Special Rack Grade that comes with a new criterion barrel and a new stock. If I don't like it then I can always sell it and make money. I kind of expect the Biden administration to stop importation of these again as I understand was done during the Obama years.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

My experience (with mine and others) is a new hand cut muzzle crown and 2650fps/165gr bullet tends to tighten things. That is if you have a problem to begin with. I think sometimes too much is expected of this COMBAT/SERVICE. rifle. Not that exceptional examples don't shine.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Bullard4075 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:20 pm My experience (with mine and others) is a new hand cut muzzle crown and 2650fps/165gr bullet tends to tighten things. That is if you have a problem to begin with. I think sometimes too much is expected of this COMBAT/SERVICE. rifle. Not that exceptional examples don't shine.
I agree about some expecting too much from a Battle Rifle. I definitely do not expect a sniper, but new toys can always be fun. Once the new wears off, I suspect I will find something else.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I bought one of the rebuilt ones with a Criterion barrel and new stock a few years ago. Shot about 100 rounds of surplus when I first got it and have only shot cast since. Have a couple of spam cans in reserve. My load is the NOE 160gr. Ed Harris bullet cast of straight lino over 40gr of IMR4064, functions with the stock gas plug and will keep 8 rounds in 2 1/2". Started at 38gr and went up .5gr at a time until I got reliable function. Cool gun, lots of fun and it hasn't lost any shine since the newness wore off. Will say that the new stock set was pretty chunky and it took a fair amount of work to thin it out to match my cousin's original.

Eric

P.S.
Mine came with light preservative oil on the outside but the inside was bone dry, went through and greased it prior to shooting.
Last edited by yooper2 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Schuster’sadjustable gas plugs can smooth things out quite a bit as well, even to the point of cutting gas down enough to make the gun into a ‘straight-pull’ manual repeater.

One time I intrigued a friend of mine by telling him that the next time he came over I would let him shoot my ‘straight-pull bolt-action 30-06 that was based on the Garand design’....all I’d done was install a Schuster’s gas plug in my CMP Garand... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Thanks for the info, good to know!