Ice on the San Gabriel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Ice on the San Gabriel

Post by JimT »

IMG_1846.JPG
IMG_1847.JPG
IMG_1850.JPG
IMG_1852.JPG
I know for some of you this is not a big deal. It is here. They are talking possible single digits by Monday. I am happy I have an indoor range in the shopl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Ice on the San Gabriel

Post by piller »

27° right now in Dallas. Ice on the roads. There is a 75 car pileup in Ft Worth with 6 or 7 dead. Not good.

Slow down and give the car in front of you some more space.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:39 pm 27° right now in Dallas. Ice on the roads. There is a 75 car pileup in Ft Worth with 6 or 7 dead. Not good.

Slow down and give the car in front of you some more space.
Better yet. Stay home! If you ain't home, go home! Carefully.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

This ice thing you speak of is it related to the snow thing? I'll keep my mostly dry roads thank you very much.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

This artic air doesn't want to let up at all. Lake Erie is just about frozen over for the first time in several years. I have a wood/coal stove in the front room that hasn't been shut off for a few months. it's the place to be in My house. I think this morning it was 14* but no wind so it wasn't too bad. try to stay warm , I hate having ice on the trees. around here it's sure to knock down the power lines. Stay Warm Jim.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

STAYING WARM!! And drying the grandkid's boots, hats, gloves, coats and wotnot ...
IMG_1861.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Kelly Brost sent me a text from Alaska. He is in -45 weather with a wind chill of -83.

I cannot even imagine that kind of cold.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Darn, Jim, if that doesn't look mighty cozy. We are expecting a visit from Mister Winter here in Alamogordo on Sunday and Monday, getting down to about 16 Sunday night, with some snow showers. My apple tree already has put some blossoms out. Dumb tree.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Single digits in Texas? Yikes. Our high on Sunday is supposed to be -2 with a low near -20, but that's actually kind of warm for South Dakota in Feb.

You guys take care. That ice is nothing to underestimate.

Cat
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:41 pm Kelly Brost sent me a text from Alaska. He is in -45 weather with a wind chill of -83.

I cannot even imagine that kind of cold.
I agree. But that explains Kelly!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

We've had a way too mild winter here in Oregon until yesterday! The temps began to drop yesterday, and winds became extremely strong with gusts up to near 50 mph, and steady at 30 mph! Then the snow began, but not like what we usually see. It was tiny little specks of snow, and it's been going on for 16 hrs. now, but so tiny that we only have a few inches after all this time. Supposed to maybe get 6"-10" over the next couple days, but unless the flakes get larger I'm not seeing how it will?
But we had trouble getting into the 30's at night this winter, and now we wont get above freezing for highs this weekend!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The weatherman here in Tampa said Dallas could be expecting below zero temps this weekend. Good luck.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Rusty wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:15 pm The weatherman here in Tampa said Dallas could be expecting below zero temps this weekend. Good luck.
The forecast for our area varies from 1 above to 1 below ....
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

No mosquitos for a while.
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

always the optimist
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Might get rid of some of the fire ants, too.
D. Brian Casady
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

It has been pruning some of the trees! This poor cedar lost quite a bit.
IMG_1869.JPG
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Yesterday we woke to 23 degrees, but thankfully it warmed up to 25 degrees for a high! Then woke up this morning to the same 23 degrees, and a pleasant surprise! I no longer have to trudge up and down my front steps to take the dog out! The snow overnight made it's way deep enough it's a straight shot out the front porch, and the two steps down are gone! So are all the solar lights around my wife's garden! Dog isn't happy, as she wont take a pee on anything except grass, so had to take a shovel and dig her a hole down to grass so she'd do her thing.
People here are nuts, and calling it "snowapocalypse", but they're young and don't recall the times we got Feb. snow storms of 2' depth, with wind drifting snow to 4' deep. We just chained up back then, and headed off to work. Now people freak out and can't enjoy a good snow storm. Or rush to the market and empty the shelves for a snow event that might be gone in a couple days.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In 1979, we had snow in SouthWest Kansas on the weekend before High School Graduation. I don't remember how much. All I remember is that it snowed. That short anomalous period of less snow and cold for about 30 years has totally freaked out the naval gazers.
D. Brian Casady
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:33 am Yesterday we woke to 23 degrees, but thankfully it warmed up to 25 degrees for a high! Then woke up this morning to the same 23 degrees, and a pleasant surprise! I no longer have to trudge up and down my front steps to take the dog out! The snow overnight made it's way deep enough it's a straight shot out the front porch, and the two steps down are gone! So are all the solar lights around my wife's garden! Dog isn't happy, as she wont take a pee on anything except grass, so had to take a shovel and dig her a hole down to grass so she'd do her thing.
People here are nuts, and calling it "snowapocalypse", but they're young and don't recall the times we got Feb. snow storms of 2' depth, with wind drifting snow to 4' deep. We just chained up back then, and headed off to work. Now people freak out and can't enjoy a good snow storm. Or rush to the market and empty the shelves for a snow event that might be gone in a couple days.
I'm about 15-20 miles SW of you and we had 1" of ice and maybe an inch of snow last night. My flag is like a sheet of plywood and finally broke off at the base. More ice expected overnight too. I'm about 500' up on a steep hill, in unincorporated county, so I'm going nowhere for a while.

added Iced Weather Station
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

We had the power go out this morning, and just came back on. Luckily we've got a gas stove, so we cooked by lighting a burner with a match. Kinda nice to be able to do it old school, and glad our modern stove still works this way! We figured if it lasted longer we'd fire up more burners and heat the house using the gas stove. We have a fireplace, but my wife can't stand smoke smell, so haven't used it in 30 years. It's just a decoration in our living room. I'd love to use it, as I love a good fireplace.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

We've been at or below freezing the last 4 day, and have at least 3 or 4 more to come.

JimT, going ice fishing?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Griff wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:50 pm We've been at or below freezing the last 4 day, and have at least 3 or 4 more to come.

JimT, going ice fishing?
No sir. It's pretty much everywhere. I don't need to fish for it. :D
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Meanwhile here between the Canal and the Equator - it was 95 degrees in the office this afternoon as I sat down to "zoom" with leaders from around the country. That colder weather looks good from down here.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

AmBraCol wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:54 pm Meanwhile here between the Canal and the Equator - it was 95 degrees in the office this afternoon as I sat down to "zoom" with leaders from around the country. That colder weather looks good from down here.
I would send you a few degrees in exchange for a little more warmth if I could. I always heard that sharing was a good thing to do.
D. Brian Casady
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I blame it on Al Gore. This is due to global warming!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Al Gore probably did cause it. He is, after all, the only human with the IQ of an earthworm.
D. Brian Casady
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:33 pm Al Gore probably did cause it. He is, after all, the only human with the IQ of an earthworm.
That's an awful thing to do to the poor earthworms!