The Raising of a Gun Nut - written by our Webmaster 20 years ago ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The Raising of a Gun Nut - written by our Webmaster 20 years ago ...

Post by JimT »

The Raising of a Gun Nut

by Paul Moreland

As I think back to my experiences as an MK (missionary kid) who has suffered from the gun bug since his child hood, but has been raised in an area which was not conducive to acquiring accurate knowledge of modern firearms, it came to me that perhaps someone would be interested in reading an account of my own long quest for knowledge of the shooting sports.

As a child back in the 60's I recall how my dad came home from hunting one day with a young spike muledeer buck. That is the first memory I have of a firearm, the Remington model 600 carbine in .308 caliber he had taken the buck with. Soon afterwards we moved down to Brazil, South America and my dad packed his rifles with the rest of our belongings which were sent by ship. After arriving he found that the Model 600 was illegal to possess in Brazil because of it's
"military" caliber. It was no difficulty to find a collector who bought it from him. This was my first lesson in the futility of gun bans and so called "gun control". No matter what laws are passed, guns will be available. Brazil has very strict laws on guns as to what can and cannot be possessed by a civilian. Even those who have a collector's license are limited to a maximum of 5 rounds of ammunition per firearm in their collection. None of this has done much to reduce the
number of guns in possession of the population. During the years I spent in Brazil I saw a large number of assorted firearms, all of which were illegal for civilians to possess, and all in the hands of the well to do and politicians. I have seen concealed carry permits issued for illegal firearms and innumerable infractions of the innumerable gun laws. These laws have done nothing to reduce the crime rate or to keep people safer, but I digress from my intended theme.

My dad had a couple of .22 rifles which he kept when he sold the "military" model 600 Remington. One was a fairly new Marlin 7 shot bolt action. The other was an old Stevens Favorite which an acquaintance had threatened to "pound a bolt down the muzzle and throw it in the cow pond" several years before. My dad being a prudent man told his friend that if the object of the threatened action was to never see the gun again, he'd see to it that the object came to pass, but without needlessly destroying the rifle. I'm glad he spoke up because that little gun was the first gun I ever hunted with.

The area I grew up in is situated along the Belem/Brasilia highway. The city, Aragua¡na, was founded in the early 60's. By the time we moved there in 1973 it had grown to a huge town of about 15,000 people. It was a jump off town where folks would come and then "jump off" into the nearby rain forest to farm, ranch, log or search for gold or precious stones. The population wasn't very stable, to say the least.

Dad obtained a lot within the city limits, but beyond 'most any other houses by a wide margin. It was in that area I learned to hunt and fish, Brazilian style. Our new house was located on an old pineapple plantation which had grown up to a thick stand of weeds and the tall grass which is planted in Brazil for cow pasture. I raised chickens and large lizards would come out into our yard to prey on them. Dad always left the Marlin in the utility room at the rear of the house so it
would be handy to get rid of these predators. This rifle was always loaded and none of us kids ever dared to misuse it, nor did the thought ever cross our minds. Loaded guns are not a danger, if they are treated with the proper respect. We were taught that a gun is always loaded, even if you have removed all the shells. If you treat them with that respect, there should never be any mistakes or tragedies.

The wide open areas around our house were an invitation to explore and hunt. My first personal firearm was an old "monkey's tail" muzzle loader. It was small and light and perfectly worthless, but I thought it was grand. I fired it a few times with the recommended load of a .32 SWL case full of black powder and then tried to fix a few of it's problems only to find out that the gun was falling apart and was unsafe to fire further.

My funds were limited (non existent) so I had to make do with occasionally borrowing Dad's rifle to hunt with. Then came the day when we saw some of the neighborhood kids using home made shotguns to shoot at the an£, a south american black bird. These were ingenious devices made with great care. They had found an old metal chair in the dump, sawed off it's conical legs, hammered the narrow end flat and bent over then drilled a touch hole with a nail. They would
load it with powder salvaged from the finger size firecrackers we could so easily purchase, wadding made from burlap strings and some ball bearings, lead shot or gravel. Anything that could be stuffed down the barrel. The first one was fired by one boy holding it out at arms length, generally aimed at the birds and another kid would touch it off with a match. The birds suffered no harm except perhaps some ringing in their ears.

This looked like marvelous fun, but even my untrained eye could detect several flaws. Especially the paper thin walls of the improvised barrel. Later one of the kids smuggled out a full brass .410 shell which he placed in the end of a chair leg. The leg was strapped with a bicycle inner tube to a pistol grip carved from a board and a primitive firing mechanism was attached. When the first shot was fired the case opened up (split) and was retained in the "chamber" like a wedge. These shells used Berdan primers which would usually come out on their own during firing and could then be replaced by tapping a new one into place. The gun was then reloaded like a muzzle loader.

My cousin Phillip and I took all this in and decided those kids were nuts, but they had given us several ideas. We went into a time of research and development with the intent of building a safe and reliable shoulder fired smooth bore. We obtained a short length of pipe which we threaded using my uncle's dies. We placed a cap on the end and then blocked off the threaded area because of it's weakness, drilled a hole in the pipe, strapped it to a 2X2, loaded it with two inches of black powder, a wad and some lead shot then fired it by means of a fuse we scavenged from a firecracker. We took the precaution to stand behind a tree with our fingers in our ears when it went off. The pipe shot back several feet and our target was sprayed with shot. We carefully examined the pipe and found no visible damage. SUCCESS! We had found a reliable barrel which would serve our purpose. I was able to scrounge some money and bought a longer piece of pipe which I fitted with a 28 gauge full brass, Berdan primed shotshell. These shells were sold unloaded and could be easily bought on the black market. The shell was fixed in the barrel with some epoxy glue and then I ground down an end cap for the pipe, drilled a hole in the end for access to the primer and fitted it over the end of the "chamber". My cousin did the same, but didn't thread his pipe, nor fit the cap. The firing mechanism was built from heavy sheet aluminum from my uncle scrap pile. We folded it into box shape and used some long bolts for the firing pin. The mechanism was held to the stock with screws, I filled my mechanism with epoxy putty and drilled a hole for the firing pin. My cousin filled his with an iron bolt held in place with molten lead. My stock was fashioned from a heavy, dense Brazilian hard wood. My cousin scrounged some scrap mahogany for his.

These marvels of modern technology were loaded by a half inch of black powder under a wad of whatever we could find, then a charge of lead shot and another wad of stuff over the lead. We arrived at the charge by going with 25 % of our proof load. We had quite a blast with these shotguns ( pun intended ). Then mom caught on to what was happening and I retired my blaster to keep her from worrying.

An american named Bill came to town who owned a large piece of land near the Araguaia river west of our town. He came down to develop it and we kind of adopted him. As part of his equipment he purchased a 32 gauge shotgun on my dad's permit. That is a gauge most US folks have never heard of, but it is ( or was ) used in Brazil fairly widely. In fact you could buy shotguns and ammunition in a much wider array of gauges in Brazil than in the US during the 70's and 80's. Those available were: 9.1 mm (also known as the 40), .410 (also known as the 36), 28, 24, 20, 16, and 12. At first only paper hulls and full length brass were available. With the high humidity the paper hulls were quick to expand and became unuseable. Bill bought some factory paper shells and a dozen brass shells. When he would return to the U.S. to work as a welder in Alaska he left the little 32 gauge in my care. I loaded the brass shells countless times and never
lost one. Bill lost one while tromping through the forest, but we never had one split.

At that time there was a limited choice of powders available. One could choose from a variety of black powder brands and a few "white" powders as the locals called the smokeless powders available. There was one brand called Tupan that I used extensively. It came with a little clear plastic measuring tube with marks for the proper amount of powder by volume for the various gauges and another mark for the proper amount of lead. I would use the mark for the 24 gauge
for powder, a burlap string wad, lead shot and another burlap string wad. This load kicked like a mule but had lots of power. Most of our shooting was at short range and this load performed well.

I have never learned to wing shoot effectively. We would go out meat hunting, not for sport, and our intention was to put meat in the pot. It took me a while to learn to use the shot gun since I was used to placing my shots carefully with the .22's. On one outing I noticed that the shotgun seemed to miss a lot, like there was a big hole in the pattern. I called my dad over one morning early and said, "See that little bird on the sandbar over there? (About 30 yards off) I'm going to
shoot right at him and he'll fly of scot free". Much to my surprise the little guy flopped over at the shot and lay there on the sand bar. Dad got my point since there was an obvious hole in the pattern evidenced by the splashes in the water and sand around the bird, but sent me out after it in the canoe since our policy was, if you shoot it you eat it, no matter what. I paddled over and picked up the little guy who was just starting to kind of sit up. Of the whole load only one pellet
had struck him, just grazing his head. After our prayer for breakfast I released him, seemingly none the worse for wear. I can just imagine him flying home and saying "Martha, boy do I have a story to tell. I've had one lousy day". After that I learned to pack paper scraps over the lead which would break apart on leaving the barrel and allow the shot to pass through thus improving my patterns dramatically.

Bill's wife divorced him, forcing him to sell off his beloved land. This happened while I was in the U.S. at college and he gave the little 32 to someone else. I often wonder what ever happened to Bill. I can imagine what happened to the gun since most Brazilians in our area believe that letting the barrel rust inside builds up veneno (poison) thus making it more effective for hunting. A lot of good guns have been ruined that way.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: The Raising of a Gun Nut - written by our Webmaster 20 years ago ...

Post by piller »

Very fun to read. Paul seems to have had an enjoyable childhood. Money does not equate to enjoyable, but some freedom to have experiences sure does.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Having a near "gun-less" childhood, I found the read quite entertaining.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Wow! :shock: Hadn't thought of that bit of typing in quite some time. Thanks for the memories, of the memories. :D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

We forget about the measures some people must go to so they can provide protein for their families. I knew a missionary who served in the same area Paul did. He and his wife built a houseboat and traveled up and down the river there for something like 20 years as a service to the people there. He had a Hi Standard .22 pistol that he would use to provide monkey meat for he and his wife. When you're living on a houseboat you can only eat so much fish.
Friends going to visit would often take him spare ammo as he couldn't buy any in the country.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.