Tyler Gunworks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Tyler Gunworks

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

At the CSA in Arkansas this year I sent an old four digit flattop back to Tylergunworks for some work. It was always a good shooter, though the front sight was a bit short and hard to see. I don't know how many thousands of rounds I put through the bore of this old gun, but I wore it a lot and I don't think you can wear one of these guns out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tyler Gunworks

Today I got a progress report.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

We are going to straighten that trigger a bit and finish the hammer and trigger.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

This is a what I like to call, "a post of substance".........love the grip frame....seems similar to a #5. ......my hands were moulded around a single action Colt or an XR3 ........don't know if I could get used to it at my age but Elmer did.

Yea, you can't wear them out but you can shoot em a bit loose in the cylinder notches....took me maybe 5K to loosen up a couple, not sloppy loose but not like they were..

Were the notches recut with an oversized bolt installed?----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks good.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Sixgun,

I don't know how they solved the timing issues and I am amazed at how they cleaned up the dings and dents.

In a call yesterday they told me that they were shooting it at a 200 yard steel man sized target. They say that they are able to hit it all day long.

This is a funny gun, it was always a great shooter and it has no discernable forcing cone. Must be lined up right.

I told them to set it up specifically for my two loads, a 173 gr Keith over 5 gr of Unique in .38 cases and a 158 gr XTP over 14 gr of 2400 in .357 cases. That required a Ferman Garza front sight to replace the short sight that came on it.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

And Bobby Tyler is just one heck of a nice guy!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Some people take me in a wrong way when I run my mouth but I do have extensive experience with the old guns. (How else are you going to get your point across without asserting yourself) :D Concerning the first Rugers...a.k.a.Flattops and pre magnum cylinder Single Sixes I have noticed a discernible difference in accuracy and "shootability" between these guns and the new models, especially the early Flat Gate Rugers.....

Every Flat Top I've ever shot along with every Flat Gate .22 was accurate....no bad ones, everyone.....that is not the case with single action Colts or any medium to large frame N frame. You would think Colt and Smith would have had their S.together on the post war Colts & Smiths like Ruger did.

Some of it could be neurological and most likely is as the XR3 grip frame, crispier action, and better triggers do make for "relaxation of the mind" when centering that front sight....plus, the early Rugers in .22 has tighter bores before they introduced the magnum cylinder.

Whatever......you did good justice on your Flattop and is in the "barbecue class" of sixguns. ----6

There's just something about a Flat Top that grabs a man's instant attention.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I really only wanted a taller front sight. But I won a lot of this work because they donated it in an auction and the proceeds went to a good cause.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

That is some fine work and I really like the grip frame, sort of an 1860 (one of my favorites) with a little more meat.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

1860 Army grip fits my hand better than any other. I have a Uberti SAA clone with an 1860 grip frame on it and it is a very pleasing handgun.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Fitting your hand is important. Just look at the olympic pistol shooters. They have pistols that are precision fitted, and they can put bullets into tiny groups. Yes, there is talent and skill involved, but give them a pistol that does not fit and watch their groups open up.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost