30-30 win - 1894 feeding issue

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jooe 3030
Levergunner

30-30 win - 1894 feeding issue

Post by jooe 3030 »

Not an experienced lever guy, but have a 1894 which while operating the lever and feeding a case into the chamber, suddenly releases one into the space below the carrier. Any tips on what to look for, adjust or replace? Thanks in advance.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: 30-30 win - 1894 feeding issue

Post by J Miller »

The little projection on the top center of the link is the cartridge stop. If it becomes worn or gets broken off it will not prevent multiple feeding. There is several ways to fix the stop, peening it back to shape, welding it up and reshaping, or replacing the link. Sometimes the stop will be OK but still let two past it. This can be caused by a tolerance problem. When that happens you might have to get creative.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

94_30-30 link R Small.JPG
The little projection just to the right of the link screw (pin ) hole is the cartridge stop.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jooe 3030
Levergunner

Post by jooe 3030 »

Thank you. I wonder if numrich or someone else sells the part? Will check it over and try to compare. Really appreciate the help and your time. Maybe the hinge pin or hole is sloppy too...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

ImageHowdy & Welcome t THE Forum.

Numrich may have that part, but... be advised that Winchester has changed the link and how it's retained a couple of times over the model's history. 1st with a thru pin and retaining screw thru the bottom, then with a screw thru the frame from the left, then back to the thru pin & retaining screw. Also the height of the stop changes between cartridge rim diameters. I always advise the weld & reshape method of repair. Means trial & error fitting... then hardening of the tip. Be sure your fix works BEFORE you harden the tip!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jooe 3030
Levergunner

Post by jooe 3030 »

Griff wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:27 pm ImageHowdy & Welcome t THE Forum.

Numrich may have that part, but... be advised that Winchester has changed the link and how it's retained a couple of times over the model's history. 1st with a thru pin and retaining screw thru the bottom, then with a screw thru the frame from the left, then back to the thru pin & retaining screw. Also the height of the stop changes between cartridge rim diameters. I always advise the weld & reshape method of repair. Means trial & error fitting... then hardening of the tip. Be sure your fix works BEFORE you harden the tip!

Thanks again for the helpful tip! Will pull the puppy apart and see what it looks like - play in the pin, wear on the stop......
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

An old gunsmithing book I have mentioned this problem, and that it was sometimes caused by someone replacing a lost magazine follower with one from a Marlin, which protrudes farther and wears the cartridge stop nub down, so it may be worth checking to see that the magazine follower doesnt stick too far out and touch the stop.

It may be possible someone replaced your link/cartridge stop with one from a different caliber, which may cause problems. if it looks like its not worn or chipped, see if you can remove it and take good pictures and measure the protrusion to compare with other known good examples.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
jooe 3030
Levergunner

Post by jooe 3030 »

Thank you.