OT-Critter Problems

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

OT-Critter Problems

Post by eric65 »

We have been having problems with some 4 legged critter gnawing on our young corn stalks in our garden. The 2 simple solutions(fences& firearms) are out of the question, any sugestions?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Critter Problems

Post by awp101 »

Maybe some cayenne pepper in the AO?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Get a good dog.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We use a "Have-A-Hart" live trap. If you accidentally get the neighbor's cat, you can turn it loose, but if you get a raccoon or the OTHER neighbor's cat :o you can take it to a more private location for 'release' in whatever form pleases you.

A .22 short hollow point from a long barrel gun is very quiet, and the muzzle wil fit through the wire cage sides, in case you wondered. Just don't damage the mechanism of the trap.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have used the Havahart to capture, cats, groundhogs, skunks, squirrels, rabbits, and oppossums. All were safely removed from the "homestead" to a better place as appropriate.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Air Rifle?
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I suppose a Claymore is out... :?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Weirdly enough, deer seem to hate the smell of Ivory and Irish spring soaps. Try drilling a hole in these and hanging them in the area if it is deer you are worried about. For Raccoons and such, I have tried cayenne pepper powder with good results. A few whiffs of the cayenne, and they decide to find somewhere else to be.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a Hav a heart trap that has proved to be worth it's weight in gold. The only thing I haven't caught in it has been a dog. I even caught an armadillo in mine although I have no idea how or why. Mainly possums, skunks, and raccoons, with an odd cat once in a while.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bitmap
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bitmap »

Good ideas so far. Another couple of ideas: If you see the critters how about a sling shot? Marbles or ball bearings.

If that won't work, or if the critters are attacking after dark how about either motion sensor lights or one of the motion sensor controls that activates a sprinkler? These are advertised for keeping cats and dogs out of flower beds but they would probably work great for 4 or 2 legged critters in your garden.

Depending on the kind of critters you could maybe try rodent poison. They have outdoor versions that are coated with some kind of moisture resistant material so rain won't ruin them.

Rat or mouse traps could also deter critters. If there is a definite trail just put a few of them in it. If the critter steps in it or nudges it with it's nose while sniffing it the snap will often encourage them to stay away. I've used that to keep dogs out of the trash and to keep cats out of the flower bed.
Bridger158
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bridger158 »

Probably a coon. I personally would use either a 220 conibear or the hava hart as mentioned. A third possibiliy would be a small foothold trap. However, if you choose to go any of these routes set the foothold and coni's so they aren't a threat to domestic animals.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I imediately thought of a trap. I caught my neighbors sheepdog when I was a teenager. DUMB DUMB DUMB. Fortunately the dog was not injured but I paid the price on that one. A Hav-a-heart trap would have been a much better choice then or in any situation where domestic critters roam. Of all the choices above, I have used leg hold traps, live traps, pellet rifles, sling shots, bow & arrow, small caliber rifle with subsonic ammo, snares, and dogs. All with varrying degrees of success. Good luck. If you investigated the area, sweeping it clean and determined through tracks what the critter is (or with a trail camera) we might be able to specifically suggest a solution to target the undesirable behavior.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Bow and arrow? :D
NRA Life Member
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

If you have critters attacking your corn in the garden, it is important to identify them first. Racoons usually just go for the young ears of corn, wasting a lot of it. Take a bite and move on. Where I am from the rule was always plant one acre of sweet corn for yourself and one for the racoons. Most of the farmers in my area would plant several rows of sweet corn along with their field corn so the destruction was equal and they still got thier corn. Chewing on the stalks sounds more like rats, maybe some other type of rodents. Identify and then attack. ATB
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

I had trouble with groundhogs. They would reach up about two feet and bend the stalk down 'till it broke. I was lucky to have been able to use my 22. The second shot got him ... my truck cap gave me a little trouble with the first shot.

Try getting a bunch of hair clippings from a barbershop and lay a line of it around your garden. That will definitely keep some critters away.

Like was said above, try to determine what kind of critter is the culpret first.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

TedH - Yep, Bow and Arrow. I use a takedown longbow, made by Wes Wallas, #64 and smooth as silk. I use wood arrows. quiet and deadly
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

awp101 wrote:I suppose a Claymore is out... :?
considered it :twisted: