My Best Friend Sent Me This... (Jack Daniels)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

My Best Friend Sent Me This... (Jack Daniels)

Post by Old No7 »

My Best Friend Sent Me This...........

I'm thinking he knows me pretty well! :wink:

Since it would be Frank Sinatra's 105th Birthday (per the email I got from the JD Distillery), I'll have one of Frank's favorite drinks tonight -- a "Jack Daniel's 3-2-1".

That's 3 cubes, 2 fingers of "Sinatra Select" Jack Daniels, and 1 splash of ice water.

The Sinatra Select is made in special oak barrels, where not only are they charred inside -- like black Jack -- but they run a circular saw up & down the barrel staves on the inside, which exposes more of the charred wood to the whiskey as the temperature variations made it go in/out of the wood. It is very dark, very mellow and VERY nice.

Thanks Frank! Happy Birthday! Cheers!

Old No7

Always Drink Jack.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Re: My Best Friend Sent Me This... (Jack Daniels)

Post by shasta_steve »

Don't really drink anymore but back in the day Jack was always a little rough for me to drink straight but man I used to love Gentleman Jack. Good stiff pour, a couple of ice cubes and nice warm fire at the end of day.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I still have a unopened bottle of Jack Daniels Master Distiller (Frank Thomas) due to the Chinese virus I haven't had any visitors to share it with... :(
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Yes, I'm think he indeed knows you very well! :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You should raise a toast to the memory of a great singer. Not many come along with such a voice.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've sampled the Sinatra once, good but boy is it pricey!
Just picked up a bottle of JD Sour Mash ( with green & red label) and it's very good!
Normally I prefer JD green label, to me it's the smoothest over ice.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:42 am Normally I prefer JD green label, to me it's the smoothest over ice.
We used to drink Green Label back in the day at UMass (early 80s) but it's been really tough for me to get the last few decades. It is described online as: "A less-aged variant JD, difficult-to-find but well worth the effort. Green Label is lighter and much less sweet than the normal black label No.7 and is brilliant in cocktails."

The whiskey for that label comes from barrels in the center/lower part of the barrelhouse -- where it doesn't get the daily or seasonal temperature extremes that the barrels on a side wall or the top layers will see. Those temp extremes cause the whiskey to go in/out of the charred wood of the barrels, adding color and flavor. For the last many years, the green label stock has been used to make their Winter Jack, Honey Jack, Fire Jack or Tennessee Apple variations (yes, I have them all), but a couple of years ago I found a bottle of Green Label in Nashville, at the airport gift shop of all places, and was able to fly it home to Maine. And my boss just shipped me another bottle recently when he was in Nashville.

The Single Barrel variations -- SB, SB Select, SB Barrel Proof and even the Sinatra Select (which its special barrels) -- all come from the top tiers of the barrelhouse and are my favorites. But I do partake of the others from time to time -- in moderation, of course.

Some day, I'll have to line up all my varieties of Jack -- including 2 versions of the JD Rye I have -- and take a "family picture". I'l bet I'll have almost a dozen different types (not just bottle designs, but whiskey flavors or proofs).

Cheers.

Old No7

Green Label.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My favorite whisky is Tullamore Dew. I find the irish whiskies to be more to my liking.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Only song I know which mentions Green Label. The lyrics go: Now he lives in the islands and fishes the pylons and drinks his green label eaach day. https://youtu.be/bwaqJOsm9Lk
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh that Dew is good stuff too! Look for a bottle with a GREEN SPOT on the label- you'll love that!

Yep I do enjoy the single barrel varieties as well!

Best JD I have had was a gifted bottle of black label, I left it alone for more than 20 years before I cracked it. I know, I know the flavors are already developed in the cask , it doesn't get any more age but I tell you it mellows, more flavor and smooths out.

Just finishing a bottle of Buffale Trace, ok but not great.

I have a bottle of JD White Rabbit Saloon- what a great inexpensive whiskey!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Even in a glass bottle, the chemical reactions are still taking place. They are just slower. Those who like wine will tell you that there really is a difference in flavor between properly stored wines from the same vinyard when one bottle is significantly older. The vines are the same, the soil is the same, the aging casks are practically the same, but the aging allows for chemical reactions to take place over years which change the flavor.

I may kid around with people for their likes or dislikes of food and beverages, but everyone has their own unique body chemistry that makes certain things taste good or bad to them.
D. Brian Casady
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

We used to have the green label around here, but I don't think so much anymore. I'm north of you No7.
I have a bottle of Single Barrel but haven't opened it. Usually have a couple of Gentleman Jack around, and of course, black label.
Lately though, I've been on a Jack Daniel's Rye kick. I kind of like that one.
Last edited by OldWin on Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:39 pm I still have a unopened bottle of Jack Daniels Master Distiller (Frank Thomas) due to the Chinese virus I haven't had any visitors to share it with... :(
I got some Brass 14 gauge Martini shells I'd drink a few shots out of with you whenever you get over here. I always find preferable to drink alone or with some one.... Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

3leggedturtle wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:37 pm
gamekeeper wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:39 pm I still have a unopened bottle of Jack Daniels Master Distiller (Frank Thomas) due to the Chinese virus I haven't had any visitors to share it with... :(
I got some Brass 14 gauge Martini shells I'd drink a few shots out of with you whenever you get over here. I always find preferable to drink alone or with some one.... Todd/3leg
In my younger and foolish days I drank like a fish but never drank alone, nowadays it's only occasionally I take a drop of the hard stuff and it still seems odd when alone, unless it's Sloe Gin from a flask (traditional British hunting winter warmer).
I do like the idea of 14 gauge Martini shells though... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: In my younger and foolish days I drank like a fish but never drank alone...
If you own a good dog -- you'll never drink alone!

Old No7
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old No7 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:15 pm
gamekeeper wrote: In my younger and foolish days I drank like a fish but never drank alone...
If you own a good dog -- you'll never drink alone!

Old No7
I don't care how good the dog is I ain't sharing good liquor with him...... :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't even share my coffee with my dogs. :lol:
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Growing up we had a dachshund, Gretchen & she loved bloody Mary's! She would stick her nose right in the glass and lap it up- then pass out in front of the wood stove! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I have never been much of a JD fan at least with the garden variety ones you usually find. Then recently I tried JD Rye Whiskey at 90 proof. Have to say, one of the very best Rye's I have ever tasted. I was quite surprised. Kudo's to JD for making it. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Was at the Liquor store Friday night picking up some cheap spiced rum for the rum cakes. I saw the Jack Daniels section. They make some varieties I hadn't seen yet. I thought about taking a picture, but I am not sure they would have allowed it. The owners are, I think, of Indian or some such ethnicity. Nice people, but I don't know about any cultural issues that might have bumped into. They had the rye.
If you guys like rum cakes, I posted a recipe on the thread about Cookies.
D. Brian Casady