S&W M&P Shield 2.0

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

S&W M&P Shield 2.0

Post by 1894c »

I've tried a bunch of different small 9mm and 5-shot revolvers for a BUG (back-up-gun) and possible EDC over the last 12-years (Walther PPS M2, Sig 365, Glock 43, Glock 43X). I started life with a S&W 642 and a Glock 26/27, but over the last couple of years the G-26 isn't working for me. The S&W 642 has been replaced with a Ruger LCR-357 (I still think a 5-shot snub is a viable option).

I shot a LEO's S&W M&P 2.0 Shield two months ago, put about 150-rnds down range and qualified with it (the Shield is on our approved list). I really like it, the grip texture, recoil impulse, and the accuracy is what sold me, it almost shoots like a bigger gun. So three weeks ago I bought one of my own (thankful for LEO pricing) and some extra mags--been carrying it everyday as a BUG/EDC. Anyone else own one of these?

Here's a pic of my Shield and my duty knife (Cold Steel Voyager - 4" blade)... :)
M&P Shield 2.0 - Cold Steel Voyager.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Re: S&W M&P Shield 2.0

Post by TraderVic »

Hmmm, nice looking compact pistol. What's the barrel length?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had a 9mm Shield since they came out. It's not a 2.0, from what I've read and have been told the 2.0 has a better trigger and lighter springs. The one I handled didn't seem all that different that mine so I didn't see a reason to upgrade. So far mine had been 100% reliable and pretty accurate as well. It's no National Match 1911 but it's perfect for what it was designed for, 25 yd center of mass shots are not a challenge. I like it way more than my LCP, much more shootable and it's pretty close accuracy to my Sig P238. I love the Sig, but I like the larger magazines ( that cost half as much) and the extra punch of the 9mm. It's not as concealable as the Sig but it fits easily in a coat pocket of loose fitting pants or shorts.
I've become a big fan of the M&P pistols, I have a full size 9mm that fits my hand much better that any Glock and I like the option of the manual safety.

Pocket pistols have come and gone around here. I had a Beretta 21, but the lack of an extractor really bothered me. Colt Officers ACP, nice gun but a little too big. I still have my G26 that I shoot very well but it's difficult to conceal without a holster/ belt that works well. I've had a couple of PPKs, hated them both. I also had a 1955 Browning .380, nice pistol, but it was like getting hit in the had with a 2x4 on a cold day every time it went off.

The Shield is just a little bigger than the Sig and almost as thin.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

In a Crossbreed holster they disappear, even on a person of smaller stature. Great for folks who just can't comfortably get their hands around a double stack comfortably. Mine shot great even before I upgraded to a flat trigger. Since it does have that take down lever on it, I will call it a levergun :D
NRA life member
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I have a 9mm shield that I like. Sold off my PPK/s in 380 and bought it. I like it a lot more and its sitting next to me right now. Wife really likes her 380 shield.

Only drawback , is that its a bit bigger than my PPK/s was, so it doesn't fit in my pocket as well.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

TraderVic wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:15 am Hmmm, nice looking compact pistol. What's the barrel length?
TraderVic -- the barrel length is 3.1" -- with the 7-rnd mag I can pocket carry the Shield... :)
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've carried a bunch of smaller handguns over the years. Mostly in summer when there is no cover garment.
For years that was a j-frame, because it was the most shootable and reliable. My wife still carries one every day.
Then I carried a Kel-Tec PF9 for a while. Laugh if you will, but mine has been 100% with Hornady Critical Defense. It shot pretty well, and was very small and concealable. It is absolutely punishing to shoot, however, so I tended not to practice enough.
My son bought one of the earlier version S&W Shields in 9mm and I was very impressed. I felt it was the best balance of weight, shootability, and concealability of all the small autos I have shot. Excellent pistol, especially for the money.
Full disclosure, I have stopped carrying small pistols altogether for the last three years. By slightly changing my summer wear habits, I can carry a Glock 19. I feel this gives me much more effectiveness in a pistol I shoot and practice with more often.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

OldWin wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:06 pm... I can carry a Glock 19. I feel this gives me much more effectiveness in a pistol I shoot and practice with more often.
I too carry a S&W M&P Compact 3.6 for off-duty at times, I wanted something that had a shorter barrel and a 15-round capacity. I looked at the a Sig P320 XCompact with a 3.6" barrel, but didn't like the high bore axis and the trigger. So I gave the M&P Compact 3.6 a try. This is a great choice, the balance is nice, I like this better than the Glock 19 (I have 22 years experience with the Glock 19), which really surprised me. I look at this pistol as a Glock 26X... :)
S&W M&P Compact 3.6 - b.jpg
S&W M&P Compact 3.6 - a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

1894c wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:13 am
OldWin wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:06 pm... I can carry a Glock 19. I feel this gives me much more effectiveness in a pistol I shoot and practice with more often.
I too carry a S&W M&P Compact 3.6 for off-duty at times, I wanted something that had a shorter barrel and a 15-round capacity. I looked at the a Sig P320 XCompact with a 3.6" barrel, but didn't like the high bore axis and the trigger. So I gave the M&P Compact 3.6 a try. This is a great choice, the balance is nice, I like this better than the Glock 19 (I have 22 years experience with the Glock 19), which really surprised me. I look at this pistol as a Glock 26X... :)
S&W M&P Compact 3.6 - b.jpg
S&W M&P Compact 3.6 - a.jpg
Absolutely! There are many choices today as good or better than a Glock. In my case, however, the only other striker pistol I have is a Glock 21SF. Just wanted to keep it the same.
I have shot the M&P and actually prefer the feel over the Glock. Very nice pistol. I would go that route if starting over.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I've had one for a few years. It's a great shooter and everyday carry. I like it when riding my Harley. I have a much more expensive Sprinfield EMP that I like but am afraid of losing it while riding. In this colder weather I'm actually packing a 5 shot Freedom Arms .45 Colt with a 3.5" barrel. 8)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

If any of you guys have a Rural King nearby, this is a pretty darned good deal for a Shield, spare mags, bag and some other stuff.
Though I prefer to call them "get home bags" instead of BOBs.

https://www.rkguns.com/catalog/product/ ... +SW+Bundle

I'd probably grab another if I watching a couple auctions on Gunbroker.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"