Levergun Bison Hunt.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Levergun Bison Hunt.....

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Levergun Bison Hunt.....

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Bucket list, but with a BPCR single shot. Turnbull sure turns out a beautiful '86, doesn't he Ray?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd like to go hunt one but not from horse back as I'm VERY allergic to hay burners.

Friend of mines Dad bought a hunt for his wife( anniversary present) he wanted her to use the Sharps but she couldn't handle the 45-70 recoil, a 300WM was agreed upon.. Then a death in the family side tracked the hunt, then kommie flu stopped the hunt again.

Mmmm buffalo....
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'd love to do this kind of hunt. But it would be with Big Nose Kate and holy black!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Sounds like that was a real Hunt, and not just a Shoot. And a real fine rifle to use, too. That fellow did quite well.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I shot a medium sized bull in 2001 over in Harding County, South Dakota. We sighted the herd from a mile away; they were peacefully grazing on prairie grass. I walked, duck-walked, and crawled to get within approx 125 yards or so. From a steady prone rest, I sighted my 99 Savage on the bulls head. Scope was set on 7X. I placed the crosshairs at the butt of the ear and squeezed off my shot. His legs folded and the shaggy buffalo died in his tracks. For those folks interested in such things:
- cartridge: .308
- ammo: Remington Core-lokt
- bullet: 180 grain pointed soft tip
- scope: Simmons Pro Hunter 2-7X
- location: Catron Ranch just south of Camp Crook; less than 3 miles from the Montana line

We used a chain hoist to drag the beast onto an open trailer. Then delivered the animal to a butcher shop in Lemon, South Dakota. I sold the mounted head to a steak house in Missouri for a considerable profit. My focus was tasty meat, not a trophy.

Hunting buffalo can be very rewarding but not necessarily difficult.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I would like to see that photo Ray.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ray, I used to have that volume. That photo always amazed me.
The only "Black Powder Handbook" I have held onto was the old Lyman, published in 1974. It is falling apart from more than 40 years of use.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:57 pm... she couldn't handle the 45-70 recoil, a 300WM was agreed upon...
It's not as if the .300 is pleasant to shoot! (We found 4895 can turn it into a .308 Win, and Trail Boss made for pleasant plinking.)

Regardless, real men slay bison with an original '66 Winchester these days, so that gal should be able to select a rifle that suits her recoil tolerance. :wink:

How about a subsonic 405 in that .45-70 for her?
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Had the chance a few years back to shoot (not hunt) a buff. Meat was the primary motivator with everything else icing. A friend manages a private herd with culling part of the mix. Range was some 45 yards and a 225 Accubond 35 Whelen boltgun the protagonist. One shot to the base of the ear,cleaning and loading onto my trailer with a crane painlessly completed the experience. The same friend has a walkin cooler/ processing operation in his garage so some 4-5 evenings put some fine,fine meat in our freezer. The wife and I were one of 4 shooters that day. Assorted 300,7mm mags,sandbag rests and flailing around by the other shooters was interesting in that my unhurried, standing shot was the only one shot drop of the day. All in all a very satisfying day. I probably will repeat this next year though I'm considering using my 40/75/260 Bullard with a Cast Performance 265 WLNGC bullet.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

That is one beautiful rifle there. I love the 86's and would love to own an original someday. Does look like it was an actual hunt so even better.

Many years ago some friends of the family, who own a ranch, looked out and saw they had three buffalo in their field. This was in North Eastern California. They called the closest place that had a herd but they were not missing any. Finally they called dude ranch about 50 miles away and they were missing them. They said they would come and get them but a little while later said they had no way pick them up and to just do what they wanted with them. They had a buffalo hunt.
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Bullard4075,
your friend wouldn't be looking for another friend would he? :)
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

One of my buddies, ryan gill, killed one with an atlatl using a stone point.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had a friend in my muzzleloading club years ago that went out west to an indian reservation for a guided hunt. When he got there they wouldn't let him hunt with his muzzleloader. He ended up having to borrow a .270 Winchester from the guide. He dropped the buff in it's tracks.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

WVfarrier, I'd like to hear more about that atlatl harvest, as I have been fooling with atlatls for some time now.
If anyone out there is curious about this ancient tool that fed and protected our species for 40,00 years, here is a great site for various atlatl designs. Pitchy? Y'all out there? :-)

http://www.thudscave.com/npaa/designs/