Project Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Project Gun

Post by JimT »

I spend quite a bit of time loading and shooting but I like to have a project gun or two that I tinker with. The last one was the Marlin 336 that was extremely rusty that I posted about some months ago. I got it cleaned up and shooting really decently. Then my son-in-law had the gall to have a birthday and expressed the opinion that he would like a "deer rifle" ..... so I gave it to him for his birthday.
:roll:
Truth be told, I like my Model 94 Trapper better than the Marlin. It's a personal preference thing. BUT the Marlin Project was fun.

So I started looking around for a project gun and happened to run across J&G Sales in Prescott, AZ. They had a Featured gun .. "Smith & Wesson 10 Revolver, 38 Special, No Barrel, Round Butt, GSS, CAI Mark, Used, S&W."

The more I looked at it the more I decided I would try it out. Have never tinkered with S&W's (other than shooting them) I figured it would be a good project. So I ordered one! Within a couple days it was here!
IMG_1444.JPG
IMG_1447.JPG
The frame was marked by whoever had it in the foreign country and by Century Arms who imported it back in the US. I was told the "JP" stood for "Jabatan Polis" which is Malaysian for "Police Department" according to Google Translate. The gun showed lack of care, but probably had not been fired much. There was no end shake and it locked up tightly.

Though it had been a 2" barrel gun originally (see the short extractor rod?) I decided I wanted a 4" Heavy Barrel. Scouting around the internet I found what I wanted from Numrich Gun Parts. Changing to a longer barrel meant changing the extractor rod to the longer one and I found a new one at a decent price from Midway USA. The barrel had been stripped which meant that I had to buy the locking plunger that locks the extractor rod. Also I had to buy the spring and the retaining pin. Again Numrich had those. And I had to buy the longer center pin that releases the extractor lock when you push the cylinder release. I ordered a set of grips as the wood grips were beat and cracked. I figure by the time I am done I will have $350 to $380 in it.
IMG_1467.JPG
I lucked out in fitting the barrel. It fit almost perfectly. To make sure it was crush fit tight I raised the metal on the barrel where it goes against the frame about .010". I had to remove a few thousandths off the breech end of the barrel as it was slightly dragging the cylinder.
IMG_1477.JPG
Overall it came together rather easily.
IMG_1476.JPG
Because the frame was originally a 2" round barrel, the heavy 4" barrel does not line up with the top strap as on a standard S&W. If a gunsmith was doing this to build a "sales" gun or one for a customer it would probably be an issue. For me, this will be a "truck gun" and I don't mind it.
barrel.jpg
Putting it together I figure it came out pretty well.
IMG_1537.JPG
I have only run about 150 rounds through it but it seems I got the barrel lined up fairly well. I have loaded some ammo with different bullets and loads will see what it likes.
IMG_1481.JPG
So far I am happy with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Project Gun

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I don't have a birthday anytime soon, but... Christmas IS just around the corner!

Seriously, very good looking finished project!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Griff wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:58 am :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I don't have a birthday anytime soon, but... Christmas IS just around the corner!

Seriously, very good looking finished project!
Thanks Griff ... it ain't quite done yet. I have some blueing to do and some load development work to do, but it is coming along fine. It has been cold and rainy here until today. I have loaded different handloads to try. I want to see what the gun likes.

130 gr. Delta Precision Jacketed Soft Point ... 5.2 gr. Unique
160 gr. cast flat point ... 3.0 gr. Bullseye
160 gr. semi-wadcutter ... 4.0 gr. 231
160 gr. wadcutter ... 3.0 gr. Bullseye and 4.0 gr. 231

I will get to the range this next week and see what the gun seems to work best with.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Darn, I wish you were looking for a barrel- i have a half finished PPC barrel that needs a frame !
Ya got a good shooter there Jim!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nice project, Jim. I have always admired the heavy 4-inch barrel on a Smith. Makes up into such a pleasant-shooting .38 Special.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's the gun that kept S&W in business during the lean times......there was always a demand for their solid model 10 or as it was previously known the Military & Police.

Pop out the rebound slide and clip off a half coil to a coil of the spring and polish up the bearing surfaces and you'll have one slick gun.....but you knew that. ....next to a single action Ruger, the model 10 come close as the most "indestructible sixgun"

Ya done good Jim.....can I have it?
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Now that is just.....really....really....COOL.... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:54 pm Jim.....can I have it?
I might be persuaded to swap ya for an old Colt Single Action ... maybe ... :D
Jared
Levergunner

Post by Jared »

Great project and write up. There is something special about the model 10.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Even with the proud metal where the frame and barrel meet, it still looks good. Seems to shoot pretty good.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Very nice. There's just something comfortable about a K frame.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That's a great project. I have a bunch of projects stacked up. Need to start one! :D
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Very nice Jim.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:40 am Very nice Jim.
Thanks Scott.
Say .. I see I missed your birthday.
I hope it was a good one my friend.
Be Well!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

All is well here in South Texas Brother Jim. I'm out killing pigs when I am not working.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I began with a S&W Model 10 4" heavy barrel, the number on the gun (besides the serial number) was NYS-222, it was a good shooter, I wish I could have kept it, I should have bought another, but then came GLOCK and everything changed...until I switched to the Sig P320... :)
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I was issued a Model 10 4" Heavy Barrel also. That was back around 1980. Still have the gun I bought through the department.

Been shooting the Project Gun and liking it. It really likes the 160 gr. cast RNFP bullet and 3 gr. Bullseye. If I can hold it they all stack together.
IMG_1547.JPG

That one 'way out was my fault .... there's 4 in 3/4 inch at 25 yards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Very nice! and very good work! I love the model 10 and would love to have one like that. Looks like a sweet shooter!