Pheasant.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Pheasant.

Post by Nath »

Always try and take my first pheasant of the season with a flintlock, certainly a muzzleloader.
Its was a foul day to get out before light. Cold and wind driven heavy showers.
The morning hunt drew a blank so I went home empty handed.
Back out for afternoon eventually I found my rooster. Managing a flintlock in torrential downpours is a challenge. Even refreshing the pan frequently I still got a misfire but a swift recock and closing the frizzen I lined up a second time just as the bird was about to depart rapidly. This time everything lit up!
20201010_182822.jpg
A little sustenance hunt. A break from the artificial sterile world. There was no politics in these woods.
No smut in these woods and no aggressive behaviour in these woods. Long may I make it to the woods!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pheasant.

Post by 6pt-sika »

Congrats ! I’ve got three , what the place calls “driven Pheasent shoots” lined up for December January and February.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I used to hunt Chinese Ringneck Pheasants when I lived in Kansas. They love the wheat and milo stubble. Number 6 or 7&1/2 shot and a modified choke was as good as it got. Full choke was too tight and bigger shot would damage too much meat. The daily limit was 4 and possession limit was 12 after the third day of the season. We used to eat quite a lot of pheasant when I still lived with my parents. That used to be a lot of fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I admire your dedication Nath, I have often thought if all hunters went out at least once with a flintlock in the rain they would realise how easy we have it with the modern stuff, scopes and repeaters kinda unfair on the critters... but do make up for our deficiencies.. :lol:

Carrying a gun in the woods is just about the best way to forget the 21st century and all its ills.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

You are dedicated Nath, grats on that one. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Good post. Thanks.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Nath wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:45 pm A little sustenance hunt. A break from the artificial sterile world. There was no politics in these woods.
No smut in these woods and no aggressive behaviour in these woods. Long may I make it to the woods!
gamekeeper wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:42 am Carrying a gun in the woods is just about the best way to forget the 21st century and all its ills.
Two great quotes from across the pond! Well said!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:33 am I used to hunt Chinese Ringneck Pheasants when I lived in Kansas. They love the wheat and milo stubble. Number 6 or 7&1/2 shot and a modified choke was as good as it got. Full choke was too tight and bigger shot would damage too much meat.
Three years ago on the preserve I carried a 20 gauge M&F loaded with 7 1/2 in the right barrel and 6 in the left . This was walk up after a driven shoot and killed 11 with 13 shots . Last year I did a driven preserve shoot using a 16 gauge M&F again 7 1/2 in the right and 6 in the left . This year it’s my intention to use a different 16 in the December shoot that’s 30” F&F but with the same shot sizes . In the January shoot I plan on using the 20 gauge M&F same shot sizes and in the February shoot my plan is to use my little 28 gauge 26” F&F again 7 1/2 right and 6 left . Incidentally the little 28’s the same one I use on preserve quail shoots . I know it’s kinda lame doing it all at preserves but I’m not going to the trouble to keep trained bird dogs anymore or scour the countryside for wild birds as they’re not really there anymore .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Great persistence and dedication Nath. I've never had a flinter shotgun. Guess I'm not dedicated enough. Loaded 100 rounds of 44-40 black powder rounds this evening though. I doubt the bullets I used carry enough lube for my 73 SRC but should be fine in my pistols. Maybe I'll load some with grease cookies tomorrow for the carbine. That pheasant will really taste good.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Great job Nath, and with a flinter in foul weather. You continue to inspire! 8)
Meant to ask -- what is your fowler's bore size and what was your load?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations Nath, a great start to the year.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:13 pm Great job Nath, and with a flinter in foul weather. You continue to inspire! 8)
Meant to ask -- what is your fowler's bore size and what was your load?
Think it used 70gn 3f. Three thin cards. 1&1/8oz of #6 and a soaked (olive oil) fibre wad on top of the lot. Bore measures .63".
Thanks everyone. The glory is all the creators though.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks Nath. Sounds like about an 18 gauge.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Here is a picture from the internet that looks like what we hunted pheasant in. https://images.app.goo.gl/d7sdTDVsEaMZ3cnS8
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Nath -- nice Pheasant, I give you a ton of credit using a flintlock, especially in the rain...now that's hunting... :)