Done

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Panic Buying

Post by piller »

It is that way here in the Dallas area, too. I have limited my range time due to having a tough time getting primers and powder. I have a decent stock of most, but not all of it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Sadly the gun shop I dealt with for decades closed due to the death of the owner. Back then regular customers could pretty much get ammo. He'd refuse one time buyers over his regular guys. I doubt many if any shops would do that today. Heck if they did someone would probably claim they were racist and try to burn the store.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Don't blame him for the one box rule, otherwise one person would buy all of it. Store here got two cases in , of 9mm, and someone tried to buy all of it. One store keeps one box of ammo for each pistol, if they can. That way, when someone buys a gun, they can get at least some ammo for it.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

One good thing that can come out of Panic buying is that when things finally settle down there may be a lot of unused guns for sale In the future as a lot of these people aren t really gun people and after awhile some will try to get their money back.Reminds me of years ago when all the yuppies discovered Harley's and bought some nice bikes but because they weren't t really bikers the dream fell short of reality and some good deals could be had on basically brand new bikes
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

barbarossa wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:23 am One good thing that can come out of Panic buying is that when things finally settle down there may be a lot of unused guns for sale In the future as a lot of these people aren t really gun people and after awhile some will try to get their money back.Reminds me of years ago when all the yuppies discovered Harley's and bought some nice bikes but because they weren't t really bikers the dream fell short of reality and some good deals could be had on basically brand new bikes
I think that's still going on. Our Craig's is chock full of Harley's all the time. A friend has been looking for some sort of 70s vintage Japanese trail bike to fix up and ride and he says there is page after page of late model Harleys to wade through. Told him to use the search feature but he says he already missed out on a nice Suzuki Savage because search missed it.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Paanic buying is pretty much over here. Not for lack of demand, but lack of supply! Everyone is out of everything!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

COSteve wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:43 am When I mentioned that having a gun was only the first part of it and that you needed both the training and the will to use it if necessary. He agreed and has talked people out of buying a gun when he because convinced that they didn't have the will to use it and so could be hurt by their own weapon.
Good Advice!

I had a young married couple who just had a baby come to me about helping them buy a self-defense, home-defense shotgun. We talked a while and I asked them to go home and think about taking someone's life. Could they seriously do that?

A few days later we got together and they said they decided they could not do that. I told them the same thing you said, that the gun would be used against them if they were just trying to scare people with it.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I see that as an issue, too. It might become a big problem. The people doing home invasion robberies could become used to someone pulling a gun and not using it. That could escalate their robberies.
D. Brian Casady
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm still flush with ammo and primers from the months preceding the Crime Bill of 1994 a'la Bill Clinton. Back when I grabbed a then new Colt 6700 ... the new flat-top AR at the time. I might even shoot it one of these days. What I NEED is for Winchester to do another run of 348 WCF.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Larkbill - I hear you about the Harleys for sale on Craigslist.
Take your pick and make an offer.... There will be A LOT more
of 'em for sale in the next decade, methinks.

If your buddy is still interested in vintage Yamaha dirtbikes, I've got a
very nearly complete 1970 RT1 for sale. Needs TLC, but not seized.
PM me if interested.

-Stretch
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

The local wally world is 60 miles from Cleveland. last week I was in there walking past the sporting goods , they have a decent supply of shotguns and shotgun ammo and some rifles . the ammo case behind the counter is 80 % empty . An African American "resident" of Cleveland wanted to know where all the ammo was. the lady clerk said it all sold...He goes on that His friends were there the day before and got some. just then the Man who runs that section of the store walks up and the customer (getting loud) says He came all this way for ammo. The Young Man politely but Firmly told Him it comes in and sells out as soon as they get it. the end. the guy left empty handed . but Mad.......... I was glad for the shortage.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Jim T and COSteve, you're absolutely right.
We talked a while and I asked them to go home and think about taking someone's life. Could they seriously do that?
If you're not prepared to deal with the prospect of taking someone's life, you have no business with a gun
kept for self-defense. Massad Ayoob discusses this. The late Jeff Cooper referred to "mindset."

I think A LOT of people keeping guns don't quite get that..... It's true that a miscreant facing an individual
obviously prepared to defend themselves with lethal force will often back down - but it's not something to count
on when one's life is on the line. The fanciest pistol and all the ammo in Christiandom is useless if one
isn't prepared to willingly deploy them when needed.

-Stretch
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

stretch wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:55 pm Larkbill - I hear you about the Harleys for sale on Craigslist.
Take your pick and make an offer.... There will be A LOT more
of 'em for sale in the next decade, methinks.

If your buddy is still interested in vintage Yamaha dirtbikes, I've got a
very nearly complete 1970 RT1 for sale. Needs TLC, but not seized.
PM me if interested.

-Stretch
Yep. The kids don't want our toys.

Where are you located? I don't think he's opposed to Yamahas. I know he had a brand new DT-1 back in the day.

Post by piller »

Texas has the Castle Doctrine Laws. I keep a 2,000 lumen flashlight beside my bed. I want to see what I am shooting. If the burglar freezes and drops whatever weapon they have as soon as I turn on the flashlight, they can take their chances in court. If they try to attack me, they can take their chances with Ambulance response times. Their choice, but they need to make a fast decision. My family and my own life are top priorities. Keeping a burglar alive is not very high on the list. Once they are incapable of further conscious movement, and it is safe for me, I will cover any new holes allowing air into the chest cavity and start CPR if necessary. If they choose to use me as a means to their death, well, I will get over it. I do not wish for such a situation. That doesn't mean that I will hesitate when someone forces that situation to occur.
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I traded a friend 2G 209’s for 2G small pistol . Now I’m over 3G for small pistol . Small rifle , large rifle and large pistol I’m flush . 209’s I’m down to about 8G but I’m gonna see if I can pick up another 10G tommorrow !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

.45colt wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:56 pm The local wally world is 60 miles from Cleveland. last week I was in there walking past the sporting goods , they have a decent supply of shotguns and shotgun ammo and some rifles . the ammo case behind the counter is 80 % empty . An African American "resident" of Cleveland wanted to know where all the ammo was. the lady clerk said it all sold...He goes on that His friends were there the day before and got some. just then the Man who runs that section of the store walks up and the customer (getting loud) says He came all this way for ammo. The Young Man politely but Firmly told Him it comes in and sells out as soon as they get it. the end. the guy left empty handed . but Mad.......... I was glad for the shortage.
Awww another dissatisfied HOODRAT ! Priceless 8)
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Larkbill, I'm in Maine.

-Stretch
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have the flashlight to identify the threat. My dogs give the commands to drop it and freeze. Taking the life of someone who is threatening my life or my family's lives is not really even a choice. Flashlight goes on, you freeze or get shot. I am not a Hollywood movie, and my shots will be center mass. Shooting the gun out of someone's hand is Hollywood Mythology. When hit in the eyes with enough light to blind you, if you continue the threat in any way at all, you have given all the evidence I need to prove that you intend to kill me.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Steve, I have been wakened from deep sleep by one of my adult children letting themselves into the house, and I have reacted in my shorts with a firearm in hand. So, one of our RULES is, day or night, CALL BEFORE YOU ARRIVE, and I will open the driveway gate myself. A bright flashlight is imperative for positive identification. I think that was one of Piller's points.

OTOH, a common home invasion is multiple bgs with shotguns storming in. this takes care of the mortal fear component... but I still pray I never have to.

maybe I should resort to the old viking home invasion policy: a half height doorway so that I can lop off heads as they try to duckwalk in . . . IDK
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Back to the original topic, I see magazines selling for 2 to 3 times what I paid for mine. and I saw a used LCP bid to $355. I knew I should have bought a hundred of them they were $180 . . . if wishes were fishes . . .
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I do believe that the most important part of self defence is the mental attitude to do what needs to be done if you have to.No gun regardless of caliber is any good with out the determination and training to use it.Also if your the type of person of delicate composure and jumps at every sound then having a gun for defence may not be for you.These people would be better served with a couple of trained big scary dogs that are very owner protective and you would also have the benefit of recieving unconditional love from them as well.Here in Canada the police would rather you let the criminals murder a you instead of have you defend yourself with a firearm because as you know criminal s lives do matter
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Visited the local gun shop today. They have been selling guns like crazy but still have maintained a nice stock of rifles, handguns and shotguns. There is a fast turnover. I put 26 guns on consignment for a friend in August and they were all sold within two weeks. They have a pretty good choice of ammo, but limit amounts per customer.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The police in the UK stopped issuing any new shotgun or firearm licenses at the start of the lockdown so only those of us that already have guns can buy ammo. The reason the police gave for this was that new applicants have to have a home visit from a Firearms officer, a no can do apparently in a lockdown...
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:45 pm The police in the UK stopped issuing any new shotgun or firearm licenses at the start of the lockdown so only those of us that already have guns can buy ammo. The reason the police gave for this was that new applicants have to have a home visit from a Firearms officer, a no can do apparently in a lockdown...
I feel for you my friend.
When my daughter was attending college in Dallas many years ago, on holidays she would bring students home with her who could not travel to their own home ... students from other nations. We had kids from all over the world in our home at one time or another. One year she brought several students among whom was a young man from the UK named Ollie.

Our regular routine was to introduce them all to firearms. I had a nice range on the property and we would run a Firearms Safety Class and then start them out with a .22 single shot and work through rifles, handguns, shotguns and eventually sub-machine guns. During the class with Ollie I brought out a .303 No. 4 Mark II and told Ollie, "This is the model of gun that your great-grandfather and your grandfather defended England with."

He was awestruck. I let him shoot it as much as he wanted. He took a lot of photos of it. He held it and just looked at it. And he collected up the empties and a cartridge box and said he was going to try and get them back into England. I never did hear if he got them home or not. I sure hope so.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Yes it is a sad state of affairs we have gotten ourselves in. Before the First World War there were rifle clubs all over Great Britain, a lot of them were run by local pubs, it was considered patriotic to be a good shot for King and Country, nowadays we are considered a threat to public safety ... :roll:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Gamekeeper

What is the sate of "reloading" over there, or is that even possible anymore?
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I went to my local Sporting Clays course as he gives me better prices then I can order the stuff and get it to me at dealer cost ! Anyway I wanted 10G WIN 209’s he only had 5G which he said he was going to sell to his regular shooters by the G . He did however have 30G of the Chedditte 209’s so I got 10G of them as well as 125 pounds of Magnum 7 1/2’s and all the CB 20 AA wads he had . He told me 12 and 20 gauge target loads from his distributors at the moment we’re nonexistent and to be honest shot was becoming difficult at acquire . I figure I’ve got better than 30G shells loaded in various gauges and enough stuff to load atleast 20G more so I’d say I’m good for awhile . That’s as far as all seven shotgun gauges are concerned . For rifles I have 15G LR , 8G SR , 3G MLR , 8G LP , 2G MLP , 1G MSP and 4G SP . Projectiles first the jacketed bullet rifles are flush . I’ve got thousands of cast bullets lubed sized and ready to go in that department . Handgun jacketed I’m in okay shape as I don’t load many of them . Powder I’m in great shape . Pretty much the ONLY thing on my want list are the 500 new WIN 8 gauge hulls .
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I haven't seen anyone mention Armslist here. Sort of like Craig's but for guns and associated stuff.

I sometimes see ridiculous prices on there, especially ammo, but especially local dealers still have decent prices on guns and some for sale.

Don't know if it made the national news but a shop in a neighboring county got in a Facebook peeing match because they don't allow masks in their store. It's a security issue for them. They will however serve you at curbside for ammo purchases. A lady who thought that was just wrong tried to shame them and ended up getting people from outside their normal radius shopping there. He was just on FB Friday announcing the arrival of 250 assorted guns all available at normal prices. Even has some ammo but limiting quantities. I drove down there a month ago and bought some .22 Mag and LR. The LR was what I use for .22 lever silhouette.

I decided I wanted a bolt action .223 in case ARs are outlawed and I have to bury mine. I scored a Savage with a varmint weight barrel and a scope that was worth almost as much as the gun for $425 about 3 weeks ago. Yeah buddy, that thing is a shooter.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I can't find an "in stock" AR upper receiver vise block anywhere. so far. I am not excited to go the 2x4 route, unless someone has done it successfully. more than once. otherwise I won't be swapping any barrels for the foreseeable future.

LuckyGunner mostly has blanks in stock. seriously. just blanks and dribbles of stuff no one actually needs.... sorry for them
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I sold my #2 AR-10 lower with Geiselle trigger for a fair price the other day to one of our better customers . I’ve only got three AR-10 uppers so one lower will be plenty for me . Although I do have a stripped AR-10 upper reciever I’d bought to make a 7-08 . That’ll go on the back burner and might turn into a short Mag of some description .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a 7-08 bolt action. That caliber in an AR10 sounds great to me. Not sure why, but I like it.
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:48 pm I have a 7-08 bolt action. That caliber in an AR10 sounds great to me. Not sure why, but I like it.
I always liked the 7-08 cartridge ! But I already have an AR-10 upper in 260 which makes it a little redundant . But far be it for me to question my own wants as a 7-08 would fit very nicely with the 243 , 260 and 338 Federaluppers I already have 8)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I do think it sounds as if you can cover everything on this continent with that mix.
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:02 am I do think it sounds as if you can cover everything on this continent with that mix.
There were a couple folks that come into the shop regularly wanting 22-250 uppers but that doesn't really intrest me . But something based on the WSM or SAUM case would be intresting .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have no personal experience with a .260, but ballistically it is practically the same as a 6mm Creedmore from what I can see. The .243 is one I have used on Prairie Dogs and deer. From what I can tell, those two can easily take care of up to pretty decent size pigs or small bear with the proper bullet. I added a .458 SoCom into the mix with my AR15 uppers a while back. 325 grain Hornady FTX bullets, WLP primers, and W296 powder is giving good accuracy with about 2100 fps. I haven't used it on anything but paper. As close as it is to a .45-70, it should work perfectly well on bears. Elk or moose at close range should be great. An AR10 lower with a couple of uppers for .243 and 7mm08 is certainly on the list to be done. They might not be lever actions, but ugly guns can still be given love.
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:55 am I have no personal experience with a .260, but ballistically it is practically the same as a 6.5mm Creedmore from what I can see.
You have it backwards !

The 6.5 Crudmoor is almost the same as the 260 :wink:

I've had 260's since back in the 1990's .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't have either one. Considering the current fan craze with the 6.5, I probably will totally avoid it. The .260 could be more fun.
D. Brian Casady