The Audacity of Some

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

The Audacity of Some

Post by jeepnik »

I wasn't sure about posting this but I thought about it today and decided to post it.

My wife and I are night owls. We often stay up to daybreak. So last night at about 0330 I hear what sounds like a larger truck backing up on the street. Very unusual for a purely residential street. It turns out it is a flat bed tow truck. He's maneuvering in front of my neighbors pickup. Alarm bells went off. My neighbor is one of those guys whose in bed by 10 and sleeps until 7 or 8.

I called the sheriff and was told unless it was a crime in progress they wouldn't respond. I called my neighbor woke him and he sure as heck hadn't called for a tow. He then called the sheriff. They gave him all sorts of BS about possible repossession (he own the truck outright).

I finally went out and confronted the driver he had a totally BS story, and immediately tried to start unhooking his cable. At that point I told him he wasn't going anywhere until the sheriff got there. About 45 minutes later the sheriff showed up. In the end they couldn't do anything because they couldn't prove he was stealing the truck. They let him go.

After the truck had left the sheriff admitted that this is a thing that's happening more and more. They even do it in broad daylight. Hey, who questions a tow truck hauling a car onto a flatbed?

Disgusted with the entire lack of action I told the deputy that there was a time you could hang a horse thief. He laughed and said it sure would slow down on auto theft.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: The Audacity of Some

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks to your intervention those crooks will maybe think twice before targeting the same area.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Should have shot the guy in the foot! I have no use for thieves!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I still have some Colibri ammo. Out of my Henry .22 levergun it is silent. Not enough power to kill a human, but boy would it hurt. I the dark you might not even realize that you had been shot until a minute or so after. That Tow Truck driver might have been trying to figure out what was biting him before he even knew someone was doing it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Dang, good job jeepnik saving your neighbors truck. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

If that sheriff's seat is an elected position, I would be encouraging someone more law-minded to run. Their behavior was disgraceful. Attempted auto theft is a crime. Someone operating a tow-truck to absconded with a vehicle to which they did not have legal access is attempted theft. Time for a new sheriff.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I hope the deputy got all the thief's information, including his personal info. I'd probably contact his company if he works for a tow company, and not independent, and let them know what he was up to. It might at least give them a heads up, or maybe result in him being discharged if they didn't send him to do this.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

DocRock wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:38 am If that sheriff's seat is an elected position, I would be encouraging someone more law-minded to run. Their behavior was disgraceful. Attempted auto theft is a crime. Someone operating a tow-truck to absconded with a vehicle to which they did not have legal access is attempted theft. Time for a new sheriff.
Absolutely, and in addition if there is the possibility of a recall election I'd work on starting that. This sheriff is a disgrace to his office and should be removed from it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

That's crazy, are they not going to at least investigate the tow truck driver? What was the B.S. story from the tow truck driver?
NRA Life Member, Patron
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

DocRock wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:38 am If that sheriff's seat is an elected position, I would be encouraging someone more law-minded to run. Their behavior was disgraceful. Attempted auto theft is a crime. Someone operating a tow-truck to absconded with a vehicle to which they did not have legal access is attempted theft. Time for a new sheriff.
It's not the sheriff or his deputies, I'm sorry if I gave that impression. The problem is with the way the laws are written and the fact that the prosecutor won't take them to trial.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds as if you have a District Attorney as bad as the one in Dallas.
D. Brian Casady
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

piller wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:42 pm Sounds as if you have a District Attorney as bad as the one in Dallas.
He was one of the sponsors of the bill to release folks due to over crowding. He'd rather try a cop than a criminal.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Again, it sounds like the Dallas County District Attorney.
D. Brian Casady