favorite movie gun blunders

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

favorite movie gun blunders

Post by mickbr »

Anyone got any favorites that amuse or annoy them ? Mine are

When fellas get sent flying through the air from bullet or shotshell impact.

Billowing flames to represent a grenade going off. Predator was a classic in this regard. Those little grenades must have held about 6 gallons of fuel each.

When the good guys are shooting at a monster with high powered rifles with no effect but then manage to kill it by pushing it onto a sharp piece of metal or driving a snapped off broomstick through it.

Snub revolvers firing 8 shots without reloading. :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: favorite movie gun blunders

Post by marlinman93 »

Saw one just last night. Watching an episode of Longmire and a gal has Longmire's Win. 94 pointed at him, and he's got his .45 Colt pointed at her. A standoff, except Longmire's .45 is cocked, and the Win. 94 is hammer down. Wondered why he didn't just walk up to her and grab it before she could realize it wasn't cocked?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The Trapdoor Springfield disguised as a flintlock always makes me smile. The Cavalry Sgt in Dances with Wolves who goes into the river with a Remington and comes out with a Colt, then there's those Westerns where Colt SAA become double action with dummy ejector rods when the fast shooting starts and then revert back to SAA. I guess there are so many goof ups with firearms it's a wonder we watch it all... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Two;

Ever watch John Wayne reload his Colt? He's so clumsy at it it's pathetic.

In the Movie Rio Bravo when Ward Bond rides unto town then up to the sheriffs office each cut shows a different rifle sticking out of his scabbard. I laugh at it every time I watch the movie.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Watched The Sons of Katie Elder last night. In the bad guys gun shop, John Wayne went in without a gunbelt or reloads. Something like 15 shots from a SAA without reloading. Then, the gunpowder can went off from shooting at it. I am not sure that would work.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

COSteve wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:01 am My all time favorite is Wanted Dead or Alive staring Steve McQueen. He has that cut down 1892 Winchester (like the modern Mare's Leg) in a holster on his hip. So far, so good, however, if you look at the ammo in his belt, the rounds are almost certainly 45-70s and no way would they fit in the action.

In addition, when he fires it, he can shoot 5 or 6 times but the OAL of the ammo is longer than his cut down rifle. Here's a link to it. At 16 seconds in, you can clearly see the rifle and ammo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fjsURDK4T4

Steve McQueen said he used the 45-70 for the visual because 44-40 just did not look good on camera. The only reference I ever hear to the actual caliber (several times) on the show its mentioned as a 30-30 so they are all over the place.

I love that show. Still one of my favs.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Here is a good one.

Open Range where Boss Spearman blasts a guy through a wall with his double barrel blowing him violently against the next wall. See it here starting at about the 3:58 mark.

Its a little excessive but sure makes for a good scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YKFVGPUskg
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I actually saw Steve McQueens 92 at the national firearms museum. I had to laugh at the gun and the cartridges in the belt. Now every time I see the show I note that you never see him reload...always off camera.
My all time favorite is more of a time continuity issue than a gun issue per se. Pa Cartright and all three sons are on the front porch cleaning guns, and one of the boys ask if Pa really thinks there will be a war between the states. They are cleaning a 1873 colt, a 1875 Remington and an 1892 Winchester. Doh! My guess is the Cartright’s had enough money to have very early prototypes of all three...right?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

You ever watch The Rifleman and see the front sight and front barrel band swap places a couple times in one scene.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Here is one of the actual ones used in the show. It's at the Autry Museum in Griffith Park, Los Angeles, Ca. As you can see it isn't a rifle cartridge chambered gun. If I remember the description it is a 44-40. As mentioned the 45-70 were for show. I've watched the shows, all of them, and he never stuck a 45-70 into the rifle. The cartridges just magically appear in his hand.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My favorite blunder is sound. I've heard the same sound from the Foley artists for rifles, handguns and shotguns of every type and size. I assume their sound library just says "gunshot".
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I always get a kick out of it when there are guys with 92s shooting up a storm and don't hit a single bad guy but the guy on horseback at full gallop hits and kills a guy 100 yards away everytime!
Or a guy is pointing his colt at an angle to the camera and its EMPTY- not even dummies in the cylinder.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Lee Enfields in 'Zulu'.

HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Rube Burrows wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:53 pm Here is a good one.

Open Range where Boss Spearman blasts a guy through a wall with his double barrel blowing him violently against the next wall. See it here starting at about the 3:58 mark.

Open range is my favorite western. But it's got a few gun errors that bother me. When the gunfight started Charlie fans his gun and cranks off about 12 rounds... Its said that was done as a nod to the old westerns but it still bugs me.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bruce Scott wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:36 pm Lee Enfields in 'Zulu'.

Thanks Bruce, the times I've watched that movie and never noticed... :oops:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

HawkCreek wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:34 pm

Open range is my favorite western. But it's got a few gun errors that bother me. When the gunfight started Charlie fans his gun and cranks off about 12 rounds... Its said that was done as a nod to the old westerns but it still bugs me.

I know what you mean. I was just under the impression that it just showed the same 5 or 6 shots but from different angles since the angles change throughout that cylinder dump.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

You can watch a number of the old westerns especially Bonanza and see them take the front handguard off of a 1892 Winchester or even 1894 Winchester and try to pass it off as a Henry 1860, side loading gate and all. Some were even painted brass color to complete the change. I have seen this in several older westerns but see it most in Bonanza.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

HawkCreek wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:34 pm

Beat me to it. I enjoy that movie but that scene BUGS me.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

We went to see Open Range when it first came out in theaters and totally enjoyed it. But one thing I enjoyed more than anything was how realistic the sound of gunshots were during the various shootouts! It was absolutely amazing in the theater!
I've watched it too many times to count at home, and still enjoy it. But even with our external speaker it's not nearly butt realistic sounding as it was in the theater.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/