Crossdraw holster

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Crossdraw holster

Post by 4t5 »

Was looking at the Mernickle crossdraw holster for my j frame revolver, never having used one myself, but it would seem more natural to slip a hand in a jacket, with out having to lift a jacket to get to a strong side holster. Will trail carry, and if it works out well, become always carry holster, anyone here carry in crossdraw fashion? Like to here some pros and cons.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Crossdraw holster

Post by crs »

Another plus, is that when driving around the ranch, the gun is free to draw - moreso than if carried strong side. This is true for right handed shooters.
Years ago, I bought a cross draw for my .44 mag just for driving on our hunting lease- worked out well.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

When my only 'carry gun' was a Ruger Super Blackhawk (...either that, or a Ruger Mk-I in 22 LR...), I either used a 'crossdraw' for when I didn't care if it was concealed, or a shoulder holster when I worked in pharmacies as an 'extern' and kept it under my little white coat... :shock:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I often wore my Combat Commander in a shoulder holster. Worked well under the sports coat, and never detracted from my qualifying scores with that particular gun. While we were never forbidden to wear a conventional x-draw when in plain clothes, we were discourage from any carry that would too easily reveal our firearm. To me, this is the only downside to a x-draw holster worn in front of the hip. Unless your coat remains buttoned, the coat tails will constantly reveal the weapon. Even if it's not windy, just regular walking motion will tend to have your coat tails flap a bit.

My cowboy gear includes both a strong side holster and a x-draw. I always (well... as long as stage design dictates so), start with my x-draw. It's a faster draw and quicker reholster. A x-draw can be worn anywhere from outside the off-side hip to up against your belt buckle. Seated in a car or horseback, the position I favor for a x-draw is just in front of my left hip (being a right handed shooter). This puts the barrel outside my leg, no excess pressure on my hip... and even with a bit of a spare tire, the grip in a position for easy grasping. The grip is right at my belt in my holster, so I don't have to cock my elbow way up, nearly to shoulder height as it does with a strongside grip with the gun riding high enough that it doesn't dig into the seat when seated in a car, nor my hip when horseback.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

another thing is that if brer bear is gnawing on the right arm, there is still a possibility of getting a gun out with left hand. completely hypothetical thought experiment.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Most of the time I carry cross OWB. I have had many lively discussions regarding it's use, but for me it just works.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've always preferred cross draw holsters for almost any type of handgun, and use. I started using them for carrying my handguns while hunting, as it kept the rifle from banging against the gun when it was over my shoulder. When I got my carry permit I mostly carried my Model 60 S&W .38 and got a cross draw for it. It just felt much easier, and faster to draw than any other method.
The only drawback to a cross draw is when I'm dressed for hot weather, and it becomes tough to conceal. Then I switch to an inside the pants holster that I can conceal even under a T shirt.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a cross draw for my 7.5 inch barrel Ruger Super Redhawk. It is a lot easier with a lengthy pistol. Plus, it doesn't get in the way when sitting down. I don't think I could hide that gun on me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost