Colt AR15A4 out shoots Windham VEX

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Colt AR15A4 out shoots Windham VEX

Post by 2ndovc »

Well no one said anything about no more AR posts so here's round two.

Four rounds of 62 gr. Federal Independence into 1/2", I got all excited and pulled the last shot out 1 5/8".
This one still has the factory trigger in it. I had it polished and it's better than it was, but I'd still like to put an
after market trigger group in it. The Leupold doesn't have the magnification that the Weaver does on the Windham,
but I thing the 30mm tube and extremely clear glass makes a difference. I shot a couple of groups of 55 gr. FMJs while I was at 100 yds.
POI was very close to the 62s but the groups spread out to 3 plus inches.
Had the place to myself again today and the weather was perfect..

I have four more ARs to go and then start on the M1As.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Re: Colt AR15A4 out shoots Windham VEX

Post by rossim92 »

i,m thinking of replacing my trigger spring with this kit will drop trigger pull down to about 4.5 lbs
https://www.mcarbo.com/ar-15-trigger-spring-kit this link won't let you open to the page with the kit is, but if you look it up in drop down menu it will be there
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've bought several items from MCarbo. Everything has been great and their customer service is outstanding.

jb 8)

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Fine shooting. Great location too.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Those 62's will work just fine!
When I was putting my ars together I bought Giesel triggers, yeah a bit pricey but WOW are they nice!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Grizz wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:10 pm Fine shooting. Great location too.
Thanks Grizz.
It's a great bunch of people that belong to our little Conservation Club. While I was still in the hospital, several members brought baskets of food and other stuff over to my wife and asked how I was doing. While I was home recovering, they told me to go ahead and drive my truck all the way back to the range so I wouldn't have to walk the whole way. I never did, it gave me much more motivation to get back there on my own. When I could make it all the way out there w/ a rifle, ammo and targets without stopping for a break, I knew I was on my way back.

Gunny,
Giselle makes nice stuff and will probably go that route for this particular rifle. I've been using the Hyper-Fire trigger groups for my kits. Not match grade but a nice clean break around 4 pounds.

Going to take the Colt Carbine out next week. It's a lightweight with a pencil barrel but has the same scope on it. I remember it doing quite well at 50 yds but it's no match for the A4.

jb 8)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have CMC triggers in all my ARs (3) and really appreciate their consistency. Like you, I have a tendency to shoot a very tight 4-shot group and then pull the 5th... I think from now on, I'm going to stick to 3 - 4 shots for groups. Or skip over 5 and go to TEN! Actually, I can pull off a great 5-shot group, but I REALLY have to concentrate on that 5th shot!

I have a Wyndham Weaponry AR, their flat top model with 16" bbl. Initially I put a Bushnell red dot on it... and found I couldn't sight very well with it. I then installed an el cheapo 1-4 no name made in some un-named far eastern country that I bought, including the mount, for $79 at some cut-rate sports store... and slapped on the rifle. My 1st time out with it, I was sorely disappointed. Groups... NOT. simply a collection of flyers! I'd fire a shot, adjust for POI, and the darned thing would impact several inches in the OTHER direction! Try another shot and it'd move the impact again... in the opposite direction. Well... ok, while I THOUGHT my scope was tight... NOT! I finally cranked down on those tiny screws to the point of where I thought either the screw would snap or the tube'd be crushed. NOW? Who'd of thunk that that cheap $79 scope and mount would be consistent and reliable. Its .2 mil dot is crisp, clear and easily picked up with the "T" type of cross-hatched markings to either side and below. Switches from red to green as you wish, and remains very crisp. Took it to one of my first 3-gun matches and even hit the >400 yard gong after walking in a few shots! I've since learned that one power, I can leave both eyes open, which for some reason is hard for me using an optic, but at just one-power makes it much easier for me to focus and use the dot. I have to consciously think about keeping that left eye open.

It may not be quite as accurate as my son's Colt Competition with its heavy 18" bbl and much more expensive 1-4 scope... I think the Wyndham and its much lower price point is as good as you'll find! It's not as accurate as my 20" H-Bar built from parts and its billet upper & lower, I believe the Vortex scope on it is just SOOO much better, it's not in the same league.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I like my Windham a lot, it's accurate and well made. I'd like to add one of their .450 uppers too.
The Weaver 6-18 I have on it is a very nice scope and I happened to be at our local Cabela's when they put it on sale.
The same version in a Leupold is big dollars. The two Colt's and the Windham were pretty close in pricing when I bought them. The VEX was new/ old stock at a shop in MI and the Colts came from a local store before Colt announced they were not making any more ARs available for anything other than military/ police contracts.

jb 8)

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It’s going to be a cold winter at my house, and now it’s you guys’ fault. Nice day outside today and I was going to split firewood, but now I got to get the AR out and shoot... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jason, (or others who may not be familiar with AR's)

Yes Jason, these new breed of AR's can shoot with the best of them.

This post is for information to anyone to be able to argue the merits of a so called "assault gun" against retarded liberals and for others who feel their AR "just doesn't have it".

You ought to see what these AR rifles can do out waaaay past 100 yards.....like a bolt action rifle, semi autos like to be free floated and if yours is not, you can buy a free float kit to make it one......As you know, I'm big headed and love to prove people wrong from the many misconceptions that float around in our game and one of them says a factory issue AR cannot be made into a competition gun as it comes from the factory.

The FAKE NEWS says these guns are for killing only. I HATE that claim.

Like a race car, it's what you feed it. The end result of where the bullet lands comes from your skill in hold and trigger control.

A 1-7 or 1-8 twist is needed to reach out there...period...up to 300 meters its child's play with any grain bullet in the .223.....after that a 77-80 gr. or even up to 90 grain bullets are needed. A heavy bull barreled 24-30" barrel is great but it still can be done with a medium weight 16" barrel. I have another Colt with a 10" machine gun barrel that will shoot into 1 and 1/2" at 200 meters..........all of my ammo is once fired range brass loaded on a progressive RCBS 2000. :D I presently have 5 Colt AR's and they ALL are capable of this accuracy.

At our club we hold a monthly 200-500 meter benchrest 1/2 scale Silhouette match that consists of 10 chickens at 200 meters, 10 pigs at 300 meters, 10 turkeys at 385 meters and 10 rams at 500 meters. These animals are called "1/2 scale" but are closer to 1/3 scale and in the case of the 547 yard rams, are closer to 1/4 scale. The "kill zone" is just a tad bigger than MOA, with legs, heads,or neck bringing it to maybe 2 MOA.

The guys at our club have very deep pockets, thinking nothing of putting out 4-5 bigs ones for a custom blueprinted action with a combined weight with scope 12-16 lbs. One guy showed me his new rifle rig last Sunday...$7,000.....(he shot a 30 x 40 and I got a 29 x 40) They all say the .223 cartridge cannot do this game..you need a 6.5 of some persuasion....

When shooting we are allowed a front rest...but no rear rest.....the guys who are good at this game use their 14 lb rifles with an 45 degree angled forend and a corresponding attachment on their front rest and then lock it in.....I use a $79 gunshop bought rest.

Well....I was DETERMINED to do this game with a regular rifle....I'm not rich but can afford about any quality rifle that's out there....it's been a learning process to me starting off a couple of years ago in the lower classes usually doing about 50% on hits....tried several different rifles including my BAR ...which is very accuracy but has an unfixable 8 lb. trigger.......heavy bull barreled gun in .308 using bullets that cost .50 cents apiece. ...I said to myself, S.O.This...I'm going to use my 16" barreled Colt 6940 in .223.

Keep in mind a 5 mph wind will blow your bullet way off the animal after 300 meters.....I started last year with the 69 grain Sierra MK bullets...good to 300 meters ......then went to the 77 gr. Sierra MK''s.....and this is what I now use to 300 meters but seated out and loaded one at a time.....the 385 turkeys and 500 meter rams get the long 80 grain Sierra MK's with a load of H-4895.

Every shot I missed I called....I'm still in the learning process but have achieved near scores that the big boys do with their high dollar set ups.....I'm getting better after each match with a high score of 33 out of 40....NO ONE has got a perfect score in three years which is a 40 x 40...this is a tough game but rest assured, your AR can do it ....ya just need more determination.

My Colt is 100% factory out of the box except for the trigger which is a two stage 2.5 lb Geissel against their 10 ounce triggers.--6

(Yes, YOUR AR can do it!!) :D ....006 secret agaent man! :D

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Geeze Jack, that AR is more scope than carbine! :D

Seriously though, I've seen what the AR can do. Last time I shot at Camp Perry, the AR guys were keeping up with the M1s and M1As just fine at 600 yds. I felt like a dinosaur with my M! but did pretty well. I actually shot a better score at 600 than I did at two hundred. That was all with open sights too. This AR is my favorite though, I like the weight and the length of the fixed stock just fits me better than the collapsible stocks on the carbines.
You're right about the factory triggers, this one felt like dragging a brick across concrete. I'll most likely put a Giselle trigger in it, no reason to go cheap now.

jb 8)

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Sure Jason...get your favorite AR and put a good trigger on it....as you know, a trigger to a gun is like the octane rating of gasoline in a race car.

I too, prefer the fixed stock of the earlier Colts like the A2's or yours.......you want to hear something crazy? I NEVER had no intention of making this gun into a target gun.....I used to blast ammo out of this even having the upper on a full auto lower from my bud......I'd have that barrel SMOKIN' hot......any kind of cheap ammo.....except steel cases.....I'd load up 500 rds of old 55 gr. bullets I had from my mini 14 days and rip em off in an afternoon........everything I did was 100% contrary to how you are supposed to take care of a barrel........it's logged close to 4,000 rds and will still .......with the right handloaded ammo......drive through the center of a clay bird at 547 yards....

Another "secret" it took me 1,000 years to get through my thick skull.......on a good rifle you need a good trigger....we said that.....equally and actually more important is the glass you put on it......even the lower grade of Leupolds do not have "absolute adjustments" when you turn the knob......the wrong parallax will throw you off a foot.....you think the object is at your crosshairs but it actually several inches away so your shooting at air.....no serious competitor uses anything that costs less than say....(guessing).....$800....

I'm still in the learning phase of long range shooting......I'm getting there......it's hard after spending a lifetime shooting the old guns.....I never had the excess money to blast away with match grade jacketed bullets.......I've always likes to shoot so that means for every quality jacketed bullets I could shoot 10-15 cast bullets for the same price....--------006
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Another AR trigger gaining a lot of respect is the Wilson Combat. It is a drop in style, and so far one of very few gaining use for front line service.
I just have ALG triggers in my AR's. I would like to put a good trigger in my 300 though.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.