Haven't had the Windham AR out in a while.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Haven't had the Windham AR out in a while.

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice morning for a trip to the range and haven't had this one out for some time.

This one shoots very well with the 77 gr. bullets but I don't have as large of a supply of those as I'd like so wanted to sight it in for the 62s that I do have. POI was about 2" lower than the 77s at 100 yds so I brought them down a bit. Best group of the morning was 7/8" for 4 rounds but I pulled the 5th down to 2 1/8". Shot the Commander some more too, but really just wanted to be outside this morning. It's been stupid hot and humid this year, at least for us.

I know I haven't had many levers out lately, just making sure I know the defensive type stuff is ready to rock and roll.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Haven't had the Windham AR out in a while.

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey thats good enough!! I haven't shot my ARs much in a long time. Yeah they are sighted in but being a soulless plastic thing i just don't care to spend time with them. Give me wood & blued steel!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Given the social scene today, I did decide to re-visit the 'AR' as an "all-around" carbine, despite the historic normal "if something needs shot, go get the ____" gun for our homestead being the Marlin 1894 CSS in 357 Mag.

I think the AR is a pretty good "platform" as they say, and like Glocks, they are VERY reliable machines. Nothing warm and fuzzy about them, no historic aura, and no glamour - but they excel at going 'bang' when requested, repeatedly and reliably, accurately, and rapidly. Those attributes are hard to beat, especially these days.

Granted, many of our walnut-and-blued-steel guns are about as good, and have more 'soul', so the tradeoff is sometimes a close one.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

the Windham looks hot and cudly to me. a beauty, and some good shootin' to boot :!:
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Hiw do the 77gr perform, are they like a varmint bullet, or controlled exoansion? I'm on the fence about bullets heavier than 62-64grs in a 223. The 1911 looks good paired with it.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

77 gr Sierra Match King? The would probably not be the best on deer but if that's all ya had to feed yourself then ya use what you have.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:42 pm Nice morning for a trip to the range and haven't had this one out for some time.

This one shoots very well with the 77 gr. bullets but I don't have as large of a supply of those as I'd like so wanted to sight it in for the 62s that I do have. POI was about 2" lower than the 77s at 100 yds so I brought them down a bit. Best group of the morning was 7/8" for 4 rounds but I pulled the 5th down to 2 1/8". Shot the Commander some more too, but really just wanted to be outside this morning. It's been stupid hot and humid this year, at least for us.

I know I haven't had many levers out lately, just making sure I know the defensive type stuff is ready to rock and roll.

jb 8)
i like the looks of your furniture! :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:42 pm Nice morning for a trip to the range and haven't had this one out for some time.

jb 8)
is your bipod attached to the barrel or the forearm I been wanting one but my ar has the vietnam era forearm grip. I was told to attached to that and not the barrel. does your bipod affect your poa if it is attached to the barrel?
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

[/quote]

is your bipod attached to the barrel or the forearm I been wanting one but my ar has the vietnam era forearm grip. I was told to attached to that and not the barrel. does your bipod affect your poa if it is attached to the barrel?
[/quote]

There is a QD swivel stud attached to the bottom of the gas block. There's a hard foam pad that goes in front of the stud to keep the bipod level and snug. Looks like the new ones have a different style fore end that is more MLOK friendly.
The 77 grain cartridges I have are Sig Sauer FMJ match bullets. The 77s will cut the groups down to 1/2" and turns woodchucks into a pink mist.

Doc,

You hit the nail on the head. I have plenty of walnut and blued steel around here as I'm sure most of us do that hang out on this site. My point was that with all the down time I had recovering from a serious illness and then working full time for a very busy company that I hadn't had a lot of time to get out to the range or much else. Many things have changed not only in my little world but the whole country as well. I've created my own business where I can do 90% of my job from home and have a lot more time to do other things. One of the things I though would be prudent as well as some fun was check the sights and optics on my defensive guns, make any adjustments and give them a good cleaning. I though that many of you have other interests besides leverguns, washing machines or power tools, some may like to see how some of these guns compare to each other. If not, say so and I'll keep it to myself.

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's just such a handsome rifle, Jason. Thanks for sharing.
My AR currently has the .458 SOCOM upper on it that I carried in the elk woods last December. I still haven't mounted the 6.5 Grendel upper I had built. Need to wring it out.
Hope you get some relief from the heat and humidity soon.