Anyone here run a thickness planer?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Anyone here run a thickness planer?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I find myself wanting to refresh and reuse old wood as well as reduce the thickness of common pine and fir lumber for various projects.
The planers aren't cheap -- even from Harbor Freight -- and snipe seems to be an issue with some of them.
Which planer do you run and how do you like it?
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Re: Anyone here run a thickness planer?

Post by hondo1892 »

Bill, I have a DeWalt 13-1/2" planer. It does what I have ask it to do. I've planed hundreds of board feet of poplar and a bit of maple. I wish it had a larger motor though because I have to run many passes to take a 1/4" off if the board is very wide. I have heard that the Grizzly brand machines are very nice. I want to get a 20" planer but don't have a place or funds to get at this time.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Bill I too have a Dewalt 13.5" and I have literally run thousands of feet through it. The blades are easy to change- that is a PLUS!
I also have a Woodmaster 20" moulder/planer/ shaper that was left to me. It works very well too.

The Dewalt has adjustments to reduce/ remove snipe. You can always run the boards longer than needed and cut off the snipe. A lot of times a light cut reduces snipe.

I've not heard much good about Harbor Freight planers.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks guys. I have had my eye on the DeWalt. I'll poke around over at Grizzly just for the heck of it.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Grizzly makes good stuff BUT some/ most is Chinese made..
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Nearly all new power tools are made in China. My DeWalt has made in China I think.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

My own planers and those I have used at work have all been large stationary units from Atlas, Powermatic, etc. Several boatbuiling friends have, and very much like, the little Dewalt unit and they plane tough stuff like white oak and teak.

Snipe can be a problem with any planer and can be minimized with good technique and long, sturdy infeed/outfeed tables or rollers.

Eric
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have the Grizzly 12 1/2” . Picked it up when on sale for around $225 . It works quite well. I have planed a lot of Walnut and Maple with it. I run a scrap piece of wood along side the good piece to avoid snipe. No problem.