Security cameras

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Security cameras

Post by marlinman93 »

Considering how things are going these days, I decided to step things up a level. Already have gun safes, and an alarm system, but our security system wanted $25 per camera, plus an extra $5 a month to monitor the cameras. I found another separate wireless camera system that has no monthly fee, and sends alerts to my phone whenever the camera is activated. Upon activation the camera records a short video, and if there's still movement, it continues to record.
Beyond recording video, it picks up sound, and it allow me to look at my cell phone and talk to whoever is outside, or caught on a camera. So the person has no idea whether I'm inside watching, or in another city or state! And all without a monthly fee! Just a one time purchase price for the base (about 3" square) and 3 cameras. They have systems with more cameras, but I chose 3 since it covers our house easily. Found this system on something called, "Local Steals and Deals" for $199, which was $50 off regular price. Works off a cell phone app, but I can also use my computer to check the cameras, and look at the images.

https://localstealsanddeals.com/product ... camera-kit

Just in case anyone is looking for security cameras, but doesn't want the annoying, and costly monthly fee forever.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Security cameras

Post by shasta_steve »

I use the Blink system . I like it pretty well. You have to remember to turn it on and off. You will eat up a lot of batteries if you are out working in the yard and leave it on. Sometimes high winds or for me bees set it off a lot. I thought the free storage they give you would not be enough but I don't think I have ever gotten to 10% usage. I have 5 cameras. I think I could of gotten by with 3 though.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I use Ring. All of my exterior cameras are in places with no close by electrical power. Using solar powered cameras solved the problem easily. They are connected via wifi and I can view in real time in addition to saved video. I too can "talk" to whoever is outside.

My philosophy has always been to keep them outside. I rely on interior cameras mostly for monitoring my pets. Catch them doing something bad and the voice from above changes behavior right quick.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I use ARLO pro system, sounds pretty similar. The wireless cameras have a good range and work well.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm still on the "Gun & Dog" system with the "Busy Body System" as a back up. The "Busy Body System" is probably better as I'm surrounded by in-laws and they know when someone is near before I do.----006
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

they say cloud storage, is it possible to record and store video to my own server, a hard drive in the rack ? thanks

if not, are the video files encrypted with "military grade" encryption?

I have an allergic reaction to uploading my data to somebody else's computer ...

it's like giving away everything I don't want criminals to know

thanks in advance
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Have no idea about cloud storage, or off site storage. I look at the videos it does each morning, and delete all of them anyway. So unless I had an issue and needed to save a video for the police, why would you save video of people walking their dogs, or just strolling past?
I can easily get a couple dozen videos on my phone in a day, and so far 99% are during the day and are of no consequence. Those at night are cats, or other critters, but that's OK. I;d rather have the cameras detect some animal, than forget to turn them on at night and have an issue that didn't get recorded.
I did have one issue come to light through the cameras that I need to address. I quickly discovered I need to add two more security lights, as the camera caught movement, but not enough light to make out what it was. So I'll be buying and installing a couple more motion lights too.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/