Ditching the dot optics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Ditching the dot optics

Post by 2ndovc »

I know many of you like the electronic/ heads up/ holographic sights but I just don't care for them. I gave an EoTech to a friend and just replaced a Vortex on my Sig MPX with a Leupold scout scope. I have several Leopold scouts and have had nothing but good luck hunting and shooting with them in all types of weather. I have a hard time with red and green dots in bright sunlight that would prevent me from making a 100 yd zombie head shot that the scout does not.

I took the Sig and my G19 to the range this morning to sight in the Leupold and a little practice with both. They both shot great as usual and the Sig always amazes me whit it's accuracy. I got the scope just about where I wanted it with some cheap Tula 115 gr FMJs and followed up with 124 gr. Winchester JFPs. The target is 10 rounds off a rest at 25 yds. I could probably cut that group in half with a better trigger, which is my only complaint about the MPX. The Glock is Minute of Bowling Pin at 25 yds as always. I put a Ghost trigger in the G19 and while it has a "squishy" feel, it's far better than the factory trigger group.
From the 25 yd bench.

I did walk back to the 50 yd line and pound on the gong and pins. Piece of cake with that thing.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ditching the dot optics

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Understand completely. The Weaver Post and crisshair scopes wirk great for me. Ruger P95's fit my hand and work better in it than my 1911...... Had a Glock 45 GAP that felt great holding it but luckily it got sold b4 I thought too much about it.
What are the camo strips on the mags for? The SIG is definitely one i would like to try out. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The camo tape is so I can tell the Gen 1 magazines from the Gen 2. Some guys have had issues with using the first gen mags with newer MPXs but I haven't. I put the tape on to keep track of them more easily in case I do have an issue. The only other way to tell is the color of the follower which is a bit hard when they are loaded.
I really like the MPX even though it's heavy and the trigger blows, it's fed everything I've tried in it and not a single issue.

I bought the Glock along with a G26 and 17 when was shooting IDPA. I'd started with a custom Colt Combat Elite and decided I didn't want to abuse one of my favorite pistols so I bought the Glocks. Once I got used to it, I did pretty well. Won a couple matches, but I was usually in the top five.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I like red dots, but as I age my effective range with them keeps getting shorter. I still have 2 Aimpoint T-1s in service but have been replacing them with lightweight scopes. I too have a Leopold Scout on a Ruger GSR, and Burris Scout on my 1903A3 scout,
I also use a Leupold 1-4 shotgun scope (8oz.), and the excellent Leupold 2x20 (6oz).
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Not a fan of any optics on my handguns as I prefer to keep them as small as possible. I like scopes on my hunting rifles, and target rifles, but wouldn't put one on my AR15 as it reduces my overall view. I know it would increase accuracy at distance, but I've got other guns for that.
I like my HUD sight on the AR because I can keep both eyes open, and get a wider field of view. So if I'm looking at something through the display, I still have plenty of peripheral vision and can catch movement out of the scope's view if need be.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't have pictures to post at the moment, but my favorite handgun sight is an aperture rear and a smaller-aperture front. I have that setup on an AMT clone of the Ruger Mark-II pistol.

The rear is a Williams aperture, 'ghost-ringed' by removing the aperture, and the front is the normal wide 'Patridge' blade that I realized was too short for the Williams, by about 0.2"... :| So I used a round file to make a groove in the front blade, then smoothed a roll-pin a bit that was the same diameter as the front sight blade, drilled out the hole in the center of the roll-pin to make it slightly larger and smoother, cut the pin to length to match the blade, and soldered it in place.

If I have time and the light is good, anything inside that front hole, once centered in the rear aperture like a normal 'peep sight', WILL get hit by the bullet, out to 50 yards. If the light is poor or I need to shoot fast, you really can use it as a post, without intentionally aiming low, and you will STILL hit pretty well.

It is my favorite handgun setup, and I have rear apertures on several other guns with either gold-bead fronts or patridge blade fronts.

I do have one red-dot (Millet 1" tube) on a 22 LR Ruger that I shoot suppressed, and some scoped Contender barrels, but otherwise handguns are all 'irons' of some sort.

I tend to use 'irons' (usually aperture Williams and gold bead fronts) on carbines except some of the semiautos I have red-dot or holographic sights on if appropriate.

For rifles, most are scoped, because if I'm going to put up with the extra length and weight of a rifle, I am likely wanting to 'reach out' farther, and will need the magnification.

As far as shotguns, I don't shoot them often enough to have a preference beyond whatever bead or setup is on the gun from the factory. Usually 'open notch' and 'bead' sights if it may shoot slugs or be for home defense, or just a plain round-bead if it is set up for hunting birds/clay.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "