Cowboy Coffee!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Cowboy Coffee!

Post by Lastmohecken »

Now, I am not much of a coffee nut, and actually went most of my life with hardly ever drinking a cup, because I just never liked it that well, and it didn't like me much either, often giving me heartburn or indigestion if I did start drinking it regularly. Which I have tried it, to replace sugary drinks like Coke, my favorite.

The coffee that was usually made at work was, I thought usually bitter and like I said, caused me indigestion if I drank it very often. Then I tried some instant coffee, because my wife always drank it and actually, I got along with it better, with a little half and half in it or milk. But I was getting a little tired of it, usually having one cup in the morning.

I kept remembering an old timer, long time friend of my dad, making what would be pretty much called Cowboy coffee in an open kettle over a fire, many years ago, and it looked like it would be awful, with the grounds floating in it, but I didn't pay much attention to what he was doing, because, I wasn't going to drink any, anyway, and I dismissed it as poor planning on his part, but I never forgot it, even though I didn't even taste it.

Well, then I talked to another old timer who had a big coffee pot for sale at a flee market, and he explained how they made coffee in such a contraption which didn't even have a percolator or a filter of any kind in it. It was interesting listening to him but I didn't buy it, it was so big anyway, that I knew, I would never be able to justify filling the thing up and making a pot.

But I did a little research lately, and learned some more about it, and learned that when you actually boil the coffee grounds for 3 or 4 minutes it removes a lot of the acids and the coffee is really very good, no bitterness, and it's not supposed to give you heartburn or indigestion, either. So, I decided to try it, but I didn't have one of those old time coffee pots, so I used a sauce pan on the stove top burner in the kitchen. I followed the directions I got off of the internet, from this cowboy cookie on youtube.

I heated the pan of water to a boil, then let it cool a little bit, then I added the coffee grounds, and brought back up to a boil for about 4 minutes, took it off of the fire for a couple of minutes, and then I poured (sprinkled) about half a cup of water across the top of the coffee, which settles the grounds to the bottom of of the water. Then I gently poured me and the wife a couple cups of coffee. No grounds in the coffee, not even in the bottom of the cup when empty. And it was quite possibly about the best coffee I ever drank. I should have made it just a tad stronger, but for my first try, of course, it's a bit of trial and error.

I am hooked, I am afraid I will never be satisfied with any other coffee in future! I thought it was that good. So, of course I had to improve on the sauce pan, as it's pretty hard to pour out of. So, I ordered a stove top percolator off of Amazon to get started. I am just going to discard the guts of it, and just use the pot. I bought that kind because I was afraid the traditional porcelain coated old time coffee pot would not work good on our glass topped burner stove. But I might want one for camping later on.

Anyway, some of you, probably already make coffee this way, but I just had to mention it. I don't know why anyone ever invented another way, but of course, like I said, I am not really a big time or long time heavy coffee drinker.
NRA Life Member, Patron
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Cowboy Coffee!

Post by gamekeeper »

Sounds good to me... :D I use this little coffee pot when brewing up outside.
IMG_20200818_091709.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

We have made it that way for years. Same with loose leaf tea. It's the only way to fly! We also NEVER wash the pots. Just rinse them out.
I will confess, I don't every day as my wife doesn't drink coffee. I MUST have it, but only drink 3 cups a day at most.
At camp or hunting, cowboy coffee is all I have.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I am with you. It's the best way to make coffee as far as I am concerned. Don't worry about making it too strong. Add a little hot water if that is the case and everything is just fine.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Throw dome crushed (and washed) eggshells in. The calcium in the shell counters or absorbs some of the bitter taste many dont like in coffee taste.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

we used to call it "boat coffee", but it was made with folgers, might as well boil walnut shells.

I use the percolator guts and get exceptionally fine flavor with great after taste.

What grind do y'all use? I use a very course grind that doesn't pass thru the basket.

but I could throw it in the water if I had a mind to.

and, when perko is not making coffee it makes a fine rice cooker!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I use a french press to make coffee because it is less acidic.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Didn't we just have a conversation about this? I dunno...maybe I'm dreaming......

People today have lost the art of survival or in layman's terms, "the way it was done for centuries".....as a kid we had percolators, then it was regular coffee machines where you put the coffee grounds in a filter and poured water in it.......now we have these one cup thingys...that's what we use.....a cup is about all I use anymore...maybe two...raises the blood pressure and aggravation level in my semi old age.......

But when these machine break down all you have to do is resort back to basics.......just boil the grounds in water for a few minutes, let it sit or run it through a filter.......don't have to be nothing fancy.....any fine mesh will do......you know those filters that fit in a gas tank of a lawn mower, pressure washer..etc...just yank it out and scrub it.....

Yea....cowboy coffee tastes the best...after all, it's just the buzz we are all after.

Think I said this before in the other post.......if ya need a quick buzz just put a few pinches of grounds between your cheek and gum......like chewing tobacco......in about 3 minutes you'll be able to take on the world.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:20 pm Didn't we just have a conversation about this? I dunno...maybe I'm dreaming......

People today have lost the art of survival or in layman's terms, "the way it was done for centuries".....as a kid we had percolators, then it was regular coffee machines where you put the coffee grounds in a filter and poured water in it.......now we have these one cup thingys...that's what we use.....a cup is about all I use anymore...maybe two...raises the blood pressure and aggravation level in my semi old age.......

But when these machine break down all you have to do is resort back to basics.......just boil the grounds in water for a few minutes, let it sit or run it through a filter.......don't have to be nothing fancy.....any fine mesh will do......you know those filters that fit in a gas tank of a lawn mower, pressure washer..etc...just yank it out and scrub it.....

Yea....cowboy coffee tastes the best...after all, it's just the buzz we are all after.

Think I said this before in the other post.......if ya need a quick buzz just put a few pinches of grounds between your cheek and gum......like chewing tobacco......in about 3 minutes you'll be able to take on the world.
Deja vu all over again.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Could that be Vuja De?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

Kent Rawlings agrees with the method - https://kentrollins.com/cowboy-coffee-h ... of-coffee/
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

piller wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:46 am Could that be Vuja De?
Aint that a town in mid-Central Texas? :mrgreen:

Cowboy coffee is pretty much all I make and drink in the winter.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Coffee made in a French Press is somewhat similar. Much less bitter than coffee from a Keurig. I like most of it. I just don't care for iced coffee.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost