Stevens 425 High Power .35 Remington

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Stevens 425 High Power .35 Remington

Post by shasta_steve »

Does anyone in here know anything about this rifle. I recently acquired it. Mostly because I have never seen one. Its a Stevens 425 HP in .35 Remington. Looking online they were made between 1910-17. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet but have plenty of ammo to go give it a try. Seems to be in excellent shape.

Thanks

Steve
stevens 425.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Stevens 425 High Power .35 Remington

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Very cool find!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Looks like a Winchester Marlin crossbreed! :D it does appear to be in good shape BUT that makes me suspicious of it being redone... does it show signs of smeared lettering, rounded corners, buggered screw heads?
What are ya waiting for we need a range report! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Wow, never heard of it, what a cool find, congratulations.... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:41 pm Looks like a Winchester Marlin crossbreed! :D it does appear to be in good shape BUT that makes me suspicious of it being redone... does it show signs of smeared lettering, rounded corners, buggered screw heads?
What are ya waiting for we need a range report! :lol:
It is in great shape but the bluing looks almost too perfect for a 100 year old plus gun. I would imagine it was redone. Honestly I am not that worried about it as I am not going to get rid of it. If I get a chance I will take it out. I have a bunch of irons in the fire right now. My brother got a model 8 in 35 Rem that I have possession of right now. Think I will take them both out if I get some time.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrV6Whoqfug

I just found this out on the intertubes....

Interesting action.

Somebody on this forum's got to know more about it......

-Stretch
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I got a buddy that gas one in .32. I've never shot it though.
They are pretty scarce.
Yours is the third one I know about in our part of the state.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

stretch wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:43 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrV6Whoqfug

I just found this out on the intertubes....

Interesting action.

Somebody on this forum's got to know more about it......

-Stretch
Cool video. One thing that made me really happy is I have two screws on top of my receiver. I thought that they may of been added later. Looked like it was drilled and tapped for some kind of sight. Looking at that gun it has screws in the same place so probably the way it came from the factory.
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

Here are a few better pics. I am guessing the gun has been refinished but there are no dings or scratches in the metal so I am not completely sure. Screws and lettering are all perfect. The wood has a few dings but overall in great shape for its age.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Another place there's a lot of 425 expertise is the Savage Collectors Forum on www.24hourcampfire.com/forums. I think there's a sticky at the front of the forum with 425 info.

They AREN'T common, that's for sure. The .25 Remington "rimless .25-35" seems to be the rarest. Not sure why Savage made these competitors to their 1899 leverguns. I guess they thought that their hammerless leverguns just wouldn't suit everyone. But it was a little late for another competitor to Winchester and Marlin, it seems....
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Cool looking rifle. I like the looks of it better than the Marlin 36 or 336.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

shasta_steve wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:33 pm Does anyone in here know anything about this rifle. I recently acquired it. Mostly because I have never seen one. Its a Stevens 425 HP in .35 Remington. Looking online they were made between 1910-17. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet but have plenty of ammo to go give it a try. Seems to be in excellent shape.

Thanks

Stevestevens 425.jpg
I have one too. excellent. smooth action. the first lever action ever made for that cartridge.

good find !!
cable
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

hfcable wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:15 pm

I have one too. excellent. smooth action. the first lever action ever made for that cartridge.

good find !!
Hey what is the recoil like on that .35 like? I have shot a model 8 and it pushes you around a lot more than I would think it should in 35 Remington.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

shasta_steve wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:37 pm
hfcable wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:15 pm

good find !!
Hey what is the recoil like on that .35 like? I have shot a model 8 and it pushes you around a lot more than I would think it should in 35 Remington.
well, i shoot a lot of heavier stuff in lever guns, 356, 45/70, 30/06, so it doesn't seem bad to me
cable
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

hfcable wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:47 pm

well, i shoot a lot of heavier stuff in lever guns, 356, 45/70, 30/06, so it doesn't seem bad to me
Good deal. I was just surprised how much the model 8 kicked for not that big of cartridge. I have a .338 Win and a 7 Rem Mag and neither of them kick hardly at all. I have a 50's era 30-30 94 carbine that is not that pleasant to shoot.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Mike Armstrong wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:09 pm Another place there's a lot of 425 expertise is the Savage Collectors Forum on www.24hourcampfire.com/forums. I think there's a sticky at the front of the forum with 425 info.

They AREN'T common, that's for sure. The .25 Remington "rimless .25-35" seems to be the rarest. Not sure why Savage made these competitors to their 1899 leverguns. I guess they thought that their hammerless leverguns just wouldn't suit everyone. But it was a little late for another competitor to Winchester and Marlin, it seems....
i have one in 25 remington as well

had another one in 35 and sold it to a friend
cable
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

Well I did finally get out and shoot the Stevens. It was very pleasant to shoot. Only ran about 10 rounds through it. Recoil was there but not bad at all. I was shooting off hand so I have no idea how accurate it really is. It is a very smooth rifle. Only thing that bothered me was some of the brass had the primers backed out a ways after I shot. It was not way out but noticeable. What I shot were mainly reloads but I did throw a couple of heavy factory rounds in too. They did not back out at much but still a little. From what I read it mainly happens with really light loads but beings as it did it with factory ammo (probably made in the 60's) makes me think it is something with the gun.
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

Love the looks. Very Marlinesque receiver, but stock shape showing Savage 99 influence. Nice indeed.

On primers backing out, don't discount a long chamber. Check fired cases against factory to see if the shoulder is a little farther forward on the fired cases.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Mike Armstrong wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:09 pm Another place there's a lot of 425 expertise is the Savage Collectors Forum on www.24hourcampfire.com/forums. I think there's a sticky at the front of the forum with 425 info.

Savage did not purchase Stevens Arms Co. until 1920. So, Savage did not make it.